PDA

View Full Version : Official Sportlots forum anywhere?

DaClyde
06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know if there's something akin to an official (or even unofficial, but active) Sportlots forum? Just wondering if there was somewhere buyers & sellers were going to discuss the site.

I'm trying to help them get some Japanese sets in their inventory system (helped get 1991 BBM added this past week) and was wondering if anyone had any requests for other Japanese sets they'd like to see added? For the moment, I'll probably just march thru the BBM sets first, until they're all available, then work on Takara, Calbee, Konami and Upper Deck.

Also, for those sellers who requests sets, do you ever requests sets because you'd like to see someone else sell something from that set? I've requested a few because I'm hoping someone will add some cards to the inventory from my wantlists in addition to just requesting sets for which I have singles to sell.

I guess I'm just looking for some general Sportlots discussion.

Meliah
06-30-2008, 08:35 PM
They should have a forum, I would like to read and be a part of that as a seller and buyer from that site.

I have requested a couple of sets that I would like to see Durham cards pop up in:) Nothing lsited yet but I keep hoping!

mm1sub
06-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I only buy from sportlots but I have requested that certain sets be added in the hopes that someone will list some of the cards I am looking for. I requested that the 1988 fantastic sam's discs be listed and they were for a little while but I always got the "sorry, no rows found" reply. Now they are not listed at all.

indigo27
06-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I would be beyond stoked if BBM and Calbee showed up on Sportlots.

DaClyde
06-30-2008, 09:54 PM
The Fantastic Sams set is still in the system (listed as 1988 MSA Fantastic Sams), there just aren't any in the inventory.

I just submitted all of the 1992 BBM sets for loading, along with 1991 Calbee and some scattered 2000 BBM insert sets. Once they're loaded, I'll start piling in what I have of those...actually got a box from eBay a few months back.

DaClyde
07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Does anyone have any requests for Japanese sets to be added to Sportlots? I'm just sort of randomly jumping around at the moment, as I have trouble getting motivated on the larger sets. If I could prioritize what I transcribe, I might get done faster. My latest bunch I sent in were all of the 1978 Takara, some of the 1998 Takara, and a smattering of Calbee sets and BBM insert sets.

I'll probably stick mostly to stuff from the mid-90s and up due to the presence of the usual Japanese MLB suspects (Ichiro, Dice-K, Godzilla, Nomo, etc) unless someone requests something outside that time period.

DaClyde
07-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Well, the last batch of Japanese sets got added to SportLots tonight, so I'll push ahead with my transcription efforts. I did add what I have for 1992 BBM to the site, so there's also some content. There was some problem with the 1991 Calbee set, so those will show up eventually.

Also, if you have any minor league set requests from before 2000 that haven't made it to the site, let me know and I'll try to do those as well. I've requested the 1978 Tiefel & Associates Denver Bears set several times and it never makes it, so I'm just going to send it in along with next week's batch of Japanese updates. I'll probably be doing the 1996 Takara sets (because I own two I'd like to list) and some other BBM sets I have spare Tuffy Rhodes cards (2001-2005) for unless anyone else has requests.

indigo27
07-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Curious, if you know, in what year would I find RCs for Kazuhisa Ishii, Norihiro Nakamura, and Masao Kida? I think Ishii would be in 1992.

DaClyde
07-07-2008, 08:46 PM
There are three Masao Kida cards in the regular 1990 Calbee set and one in the large (3.5"x5") set as well as in the 1990 Takara Giants set. Nakamura first seems to appear in 1995 BBM, Calbee & Takara Buffaloes sets. Ishii first shows up in the 1992 BBM & Takara Swallows sets.

DaClyde
07-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Not really significant beyond my desk, but I just filled an order on Sportlots for 80 cards! Half-way thru the month and I've passed the $25 milestone for the first time since opening my account in January. Someone bought a bunch of these Lime Rock Dominican Winter League cards I have piling up. They've FINALLY begun to earn their keep after not yielding the Bernie Brito Diamond Star card I need.

DaClyde
07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Sportlots inventory update yesterday. They added all of the 1996 & 1998 (and one 1997) Takara Baseball Game sets along with 1991 Calbee and the 2000-2002 BBM Preview sets as well as some random Seibu sets.. I'll try to get the rest of the 1997 Takara transcribed for them this week, as well as whatever else seems to be heavily populated with NPB's current stars in the MLB (Matsuzaka, Matsui, Ichiro, Fukudome, Okajima, etc).

DaClyde
08-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Well, I can definitely attest to the "More Inventory = More Sales" theory. I finally sat down and loaded in another 10,000 cards and my sales pushed over $50 for July. For me, that's pretty impressive as most of the cards were commons. I found that listing all of those major 1989-1992 minor league sets from Best, CMC, ProCards Classic, LineDrive and Skybox really helps as people looking for a particular player can grab their cards from all of the sets from a single seller (ME!) instead of having to play the "minimize the shipping game" from multiple sellers. Now to add in my MLB stuff.

I don't remember buying all these 1990 Bowman cards....

DaClyde
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Here's some news about improvements at Sportlots that was sent to sellers. Buyers might also be interested as it involves performance improvements on the site:

This email is being sent to all Sportlots sellers registered on Sportlots.

In my last email two weeks ago, I gave you a recap of all the enhancements done on the site over the holidays. I also told you that my highest priority enhancements was to improve website efficiency and speed, concentrating on our customer's screens so they could more easily find and order the cards they are looking for.

I'm happy to report two significant improvements that have been made since then regarding this area:

1) Database structure changes to improve speed.

The 2nd highest accessed screen on Sportlots is the "Search by Player" results screen. It is also one of the most costly and time consuming screens on the website as well. This screen searches by a portion of the players name to find all of the cards on the system. This screen and the database access methods used to obtain the card data was written back in 2002 when there was less than 3 Million cards and about 10% of the traffic on the site. Now with close to 28 million cards, this needed an overhaul. I have spent a lot of time analyzing the data methods and found a way to decrease the access by about 20%. This is a significant amount when you are talking about the most popular players taking 3 minutes prior to this change to obtain all of the cards.

However, even though this is significant, it's not good enough. A savings of 36 seconds is significant, but that still leaves you with almost 2.5 minutes to wait for your screen to come up! So I also made the following change:

2) Added Year to the Player name search criteria.

Now when a customer searches on a player, the next screen comes up and provides them with a list of years that player search criteria found cards for. The customer can now select up to 3 years from this list to bring back the cards for that player. If they know exactly which year they want, the results will come back faster and if they want to search for more than 3 years, a link is provided to allow them to easily get back the year selection screen to select an additional 3 years.

For more popular players who have had a long career, this is a huge difference as far as response time, it also allows you to get the cards you want at the top of the list instead of hitting that (Next 50) link 20 times to get down to the year you want.

Ok, bottom line, here's the final results.

To test the time savings, I ran a before/after test. Before the changes were in, I place an order for the following cards:

1989 Topps Traded #40T Ken Griffey Jr.
2001 Topps Base Set #389 Ken Griffey Jr.
2003 Upper Deck Griffey Victory #40 Ken Griffey Jr.
2007 Topps Base Set #450 Ken Griffey Jr.
2008 Bowman Base Set #85 Ken Griffey Jr.

In order to place this order, it took me 12 minutes and 5 seconds to complete the order! Now you can see why changes needed to be made. Imagine if you wanted to purchase 50 Griffey cards! How many people gave up!!

With the new process, it took me 3 minutes and 45 seconds to complete the same order!!

Bottom line, I think we are going to see more orders because people won't give up on building orders and waiting for these screens to come up. Secondly, we will see the traffic rates on this screen go down. Now that customers can zero in on the cards they want, there won't be a need for them to continue to click on the (Next 50) link over and over again to get to the cards they want to purchase. This should help with the traffic load on the server and allow everyone process faster during peak traffic times.

** I'm not done yet.. There are a few additional changes I want to make on the customer side. Mainly with the search by set screens. These weren't as bad as the Search by Player screens, but do also need improvements.

Once these are done, I will begin to hit some of the seller enhancements that I know many of you have been asking for!

I will continue to keep you all updated on the changes being made!

Thanks for your time and thanks for reading through this!

Max Steiner
Sportlots, LLC
Over 27 Million cards online!

DaClyde
06-01-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm a little over half-way thru transcribing the 2003 BBM set for adding to Sportlots and I just recently submitted most of the Takara sets from 1996-1998. Managed to sell my entire 1996 Takara Orix BlueWave set last month once the set was added to the system.

Does anyone have any requests for any Japanese sets they'd like to see added to the system (up to 2005, I don't have the latest price guide)?

-edit-

2003 BBM is done, now I'm finishing up 1993 BBM. I'll probably just move straight on to 1994.

DaClyde
06-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Finished up the 1993 BBM checklist and also did the 1981 Calbee since I already had it about 40% done anyway for another project and also did the 1992 Calbee set. I added all of the 2000 Calbee subsets (but not the base set, yet). I'm thinking just to try to accomodate people trying to see cards of the latest wave of stars from Japan, I'll just go to the 2005 sets and work backwards from now on. Hopefully these last couple of batches of checklists will be added this Sunday.

Any requests? I'm going to broach the subject of unlicensed sets, too, and see if Sportlots is willing to include those.

DaClyde
08-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Sellers on Sportlots may have noticed the following message on the "Request New Sets" page:

Sportlots will no longer accept requests for sets prior to 2003. Analysis has shown that the effort to load these older sets is not worth the very small amount of sales made. Our efforts instead will be to get the newest sets loaded as quickly as possible.

Basically what this means is not that they absolutely won't add any more pre-2003 sets, just that they'll no longer add them if they have to do all the work to build and format the checklists, and believe me, that takes a LOT of time.

As I've been compiling all these Japanese checklists for Calbee, BBM & Takara, I've also still been submitting checklists for old TCMA minor league sets and other oddball sets I want to sell. As such, I went ahead and compiled the checklists for a few of the sets others had requested since the pre-2003 message went up and they did add them to the system (1982 All Star Game program cards, 1987 Coke White Sox, some 1979-1980 TCMA sets, 1977 & 78 Padres Family Fun). They just aren't making any announcements about the older sets anymore.

SO....for baseball anyway, if you have any pre-2003 sets you'd like to see added to Sportlots, let me know and I'll do what I can to set up the checklists and submit them to the site. I have no resources for other sports, so all I'll work on is baseball. Anything 2003-current, you can still request through the site.

DaClyde
08-20-2009, 09:05 AM
I received a note from Sportlots inventory guy and he said they weren't going to load any more pre-2003 sets, so I guess my earlier offer is pretty much dead. As a result, I'll only be adding 2003-current Japanese sets from now on. I'm also going to begin adding the checklists for the 2008 Hero Decks playing card sets. If I can find a copy of any of the older sets (I know the Yankees deck has a couple of different players and a different box), I'll get those loaded as well.

DaClyde
09-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I just got a large lot of Japanese cards dating from 1998-2007 (mostly 98-2002) and am adding what I can to Sportlots. Sadly, I didn't get the checklists for 1998-2002 Calbee added before the pre-2003 moratorium, so that really bites since I got several hundred in that span that now I can't add.

There are some partial sets in the system for 2000 BBM, so I've asked to be allowed to complete those checklists to add the cards I have.

I also just got the 1990 Takara sets for Chunichi & Hanshin and 1991 Takara Orix BlueWave. Again, due to procrastination, I never got that far with submitting the Takara checklists to Sportlots.