Post Those "Nickname" Autographs You Have Here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loyalty32

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I've been scanning my Andre Dawson Autographs and I've decided that the "Nickname" Autographs are by far my favorite. I would love to see some of the other players out there!

Thanks
Craig

-2001 Donruss Signature Notable Nicknames 041/100
2001DonrussSignatureNotableNickname.jpg

-2001 Donruss Signature Notable Nicknames Master Series
2001DonrussSignatureNotableNickZame.jpg

-2003 Donruss Signature Notable Nicknames Autographs 001/100
2003DonrussSignatureNotableNickA-2.jpg

-2003 Donruss Signature Notable Nicknames Autographs 047/100
2003DonrussSignatureNotableNickAuto.jpg

-2004 Absolute Memorabilia Absolutely Ink 032/100
2004AbsoluteMemAbsoluteInk632.jpg

-2004 Donruss Classics Team Colors Combos Signature 05/50
2004DonrussClassicsTeamColorsCSE5.jpg

-2004 Leaf Certified Cuts Stars Signature Jersey 8/8
2004LeafCertifiedCutsStarsSigJ8.jpg

-2004 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Autograph Red 238/250
2004LeafCertifiedMaterialsMAR238.jpg

-2004 Leaf Limited Moniker Bat 40/50
2004LeafLimitedMonikerBat40.jpg

-2004 Prime Cuts II MLB Icons Signature Material Combo Prime 06/10
2004PrimeCutsMLBIconsSMCP6.jpg

-2005 Timeless Treasures Material Ink Jersey 38/50
AHawkAuto10.jpg

Last edited:
I know they are somewhat unique, but I would feel somewhat ripped off if you only get the nickname. Even if it's in that persons handwriting, is "The Hawk" really a legit autograph? I can't sign my checks "Big C" or "mrmopar" and have them be valid!! I know technically they are considered Dawson autos, but still...something to ponder. What if he wrote "Big A"?

I have a few of those from that Fleer nickname set and a few random Garveys. One I specifically remember was "Popeye".

I love those. Craig, as always, the sheer number is astounding. However, I have to say a "Big Unit" auto trumps a "The Hawk" auto.
-Casey

jflan702 - I put the Sox card in there just for you! :D

bjbsue - Nice!

mrmopar - I guess we differ on this one. I actually like the nickname alone better than with the full name signature. Not to mention you can only fit so much onto a sticker. I think a big "A" may be stretching it a bit, but even If he wrote just a big "A" it would be better looking than half of the signatures out there. (Clemens & Sandberg come to mind among others) He is one of very few players who actually take the time to make sure his signature is legible regardless of how it's signed.

loftheb - Not in this house! :)

theplasticman - Break out the scanner! Excluding the '89 Playoffs, I always enjoyed watching Clark. One of the best nicknames and swings in the game!

tribefan - Agreed!

Thanks
Craig

I do agree that the first name, nickname, last name autos tend to be a bit bulky. I don't care too much for the Steve "Popeye" Garvey I have, but it was something I needed to fill a spot.

Garvey once had a very majestic and flowing auto. It has become very much hurried these days though.

I have a Ken Harvey auto in my Royals collection that was signed "Big Harv" and I am not real fond of it. I traded for it and it was not noted that the auto was a nickname. Needless to say I try to remember to ask before a trade is made.

I didn't know Frank Thomas had a nickname of "93 94 AL MVP". I guess Big Hurt didn't understand the concept there!:D

OK, now I definitely would be pissed if I got that "Bondo" auto. That isn't even a signature. It's a word...same as a filler compound for automotive body work! Signatures are in cursive!

Scanner is busted, which makes my following text so less cool to look at:)

I have a baseball signed Leon "The Bull" Durham and many ***** League autos with nicknames included. One day I'll have pics of everything...one day.

I think I have a Sean "The Mayor" Casey in the vault. I will try to get a scan up tomorrow. I do not want to go downstairs and wake the family!

Tal

I guess we differ on this one. I actually like the nickname alone better than with the full name signature. Not to mention you can only fit so much onto a sticker. I think a big "A" may be stretching it a bit, but even If he wrote just a big "A" it would be better looking than half of the signatures out there. (Clemens & Sandberg come to mind among others) He is one of very few players who actually take the time to make sure his signature is legible regardless of how it's signed.

Thanks
Craig

What? Are you saying you couldn't make out Ryno's signature? If you look closely enough, you can make out an 'S' and a.... ummmm. Okay, maybe just the S.

Tai

I think this is the only one I have in my collection, but it is one of my favorite cards that I have:

th_Fidrych08DonrussThreadsd100.jpg

mrmopar - I assume Garvey got the nickname from having big forearms? Either that or he married a lady named Olive Oil?

Matt - Those sound awesome! I would love to see the ***** League Ball.

Tal - Looking forward to the scan!

CharlieBrown - I can't help but think of the movie Candyman when I see that!

Tai - He is consistent with his signature though. It is always the same.

daktion - Nice! One of the more fitting nicknames out there!

dp33 - Nice looking card!
Thanks
Craig

I thought for sure someone would have posted this one up... I think it is one of the coolest nick names in modern day baseball, kinda a throwback to the ***** leagues.

2004h34.jpg
2004h35.jpg

- Chris