Fake? Need advice. Does anyone have any 2008 Stadium Club Sketch cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tribefan

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Hi All,

I just picked up a 2008 Stadium Club Sketch Card, which is a "ONE-OF-ONE", and I have reason to believe this might have been printed in the basement and not at Topps.

Before I expose this any further, I'd like to correspond with anyone that holds one. Please PM me.

Michael

08StadiumClubSketch.jpg

More information.

The front's image is black and white and looks like many I've seen on Ebay. The paper finish reminds me of the white boxes we put sets in.... not the corrugated cardboard itself but the paper finish of the cardboard.

The card is normal thinkness.

The back is glossy.

The thing that has me scratching my head is that the back is blurry. It does not seem to have the typical print quality of a Topps card.

What has me questioning is the way the black/dark gray around the letters "STADIUM" runs into the white of the letters.

Also, the yellow letters in the word "CONGRATULATIONS!" look blurry.

It's not real crisp like would be expected. I guess I'm interested to know if anyone has one that has the typical crisp graphics.

Maybe I'm being paranoid and it's just poor quality coming out of Topps.

Hi Michael:
I pulled one myself when they first came out several months ago; it is of Jorge Posada and I have a picture of both the front and the back of the card in my bucket, under PC items I think.

This is the ugly one I was talking about before..................

sc1o1

Had to be the Philly Phanatic, of course..................Mike

ID say something looks wierd comparing the two sketch cards associated with this thread.

08StadiumClubSketch.jpg

More information.

The front's image is black and white and looks like many I've seen on Ebay. The paper finish reminds me of the white boxes we put sets in.... not the corrugated cardboard itself but the paper finish of the cardboard.

The card is normal thinkness.

The back is glossy.

The thing that has me scratching my head is that the back is blurry. It does not seem to have the typical print quality of a Topps card.

What has me questioning is the way the black/dark gray around the letters "STADIUM" runs into the white of the letters.

Also, the yellow letters in the word "CONGRATULATIONS!" look blurry.

It's not real crisp like would be expected. I guess I'm interested to know if anyone has one that has the typical crisp graphics.

Maybe I'm being paranoid and it's just poor quality coming out of Topps.

Michael:
My Posada Sketch card from the same set looks just like yours in every aspect that you mentioned here; except for "the black/dark gray around the letters "STADIUM" runs into the white of the letters".

One more thing is that mine is autographed by the sketch artist on the front of the card (in blue ink).

Posada.jpg

Posadaback.jpg

Last edited:
look i have a sketch card of Ryan Zimmerman that i swear wasnt even sketched..it was printed and then colored in...under a magnifying glass and not even that you can see the small little dots that a printer makes...heres a scan...any thoughts on why i have a sketch card that is a fake...not sketched but printed and colored

Front of sketch card, Ryan Zimmerman print????? then colored in...did a "Little 8-year old Mikey" color in the so called sketch card that came as a insert in my $100 box of cards?????
img144.jpg

Back of "Fake" Sketch Card

img172.jpg

Last edited:
I've pulled 4 of these sketches from '08 Stadium Club, and they all seem to have the same characteristics on the back as yours (blurriness, etc.) I'd say yours is legit. I wish they would have made the artists label the card, because some of them are a guess. I have one who sure looks like Carlos Zambrano but he's not in the checklist. It's done by the same artist who did the Posada shown earlier in this thread. I also got a Mr. Met who was done by the same artist (R. Molinelli) who did the Phillie Phanatic in this thread. Only one of mine was signed in blue, but they all do have signatures. I also got a Jose Reyes from Ken Branch and a Geovany Soto from Brian Kong. Some have color and some don't; it's just hard to compare them because the artists each have their own style.
Dale

I've pulled 4 of these sketches from '08 Stadium Club, and they all seem to have the same characteristics on the back as yours (blurriness, etc.) I'd say yours is legit. I wish they would have made the artists label the card, because some of them are a guess. I have one who sure looks like Carlos Zambrano but he's not in the checklist. It's done by the same artist who did the Posada shown earlier in this thread. I also got a Mr. Met who was done by the same artist (R. Molinelli) who did the Phillie Phanatic in this thread. Only one of mine was signed in blue, but they all do have signatures. I also got a Jose Reyes from Ken Branch and a Geovany Soto from Brian Kong. Some have color and some don't; it's just hard to compare them because the artists each have their own style.
Dale

Thanks, Dale. The blurry features on the back are what had me worried. I'm glad to hear your pack-pulled had similar problems.