Scratches???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeyred

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have a few Topps uncirculated cards. There a few scratches on the case. Some are worse off and need cleaning.

Sooooo…..Is there a way to take out those scratches? What cleaner should I use?

Thanks, Paul

I took the one I had out of the case and into a toploader, the cases can get very ugly, plus the card has a cert printed on the front, so no worries about autheniticity.

I took the one I had out of the case and into a toploader, the cases can get very ugly, plus the card has a cert printed on the front, so no worries about autheniticity.

I have always taken them out of those cases. I hate them with a passion.

I am with both of you on this..........but wanted to let you know that a trader here at The Bench decided not to trade me for one auto I had because it was taken out of the uncirculated case.

Thanks for the Replys

jrchoholic83 & premium1981

Thanks for the Replys. I agree, they do look better in a top loader.

But, I think I'm inclined to agree with criollos, if I do take them out of the case and then decide to Trade or Sell the card , I do believe, to some this may lessen the value of the card.

Sooooo..... Does anyone have any ideas on how to get those scratches out???

You likely can't do much. You may be able to polish them with a polish/very light compound, but you're likely to do as much damage as good. Any lightening of the scratches may well end up degrading the plastic later. Kind of like headlamps in cars. You can polish the chips/scratches, but eventually you get that nice yellow haze.

Yeah, can't do much. When you pick them up, put them in a team set bag or graded card holder... it will preserve the case.

It bothers me to get these cards in "damaged" condition from trades and ebay, because the the whole point of the issue is that the cards are uncirculated (untouched). Once the case is opened and the seal is boken, they are effectively circulated, whether or not you actually touched them. For those of you picky about condition, these would be considered a lesser grade, believe it or not.

Protecting the case from the beginning is the answer or suffer the occassional consequences trying to trade them for top dollar to purists. However, many people don't preserve the cases and once damaged, I'd take them w/ the card out, but would prefer to do it myself rather than get it that way.

well they are uncirculated...once you open the case they are circulated...lol...thats the only difference...you can send it in to get graded if you have a high dollar card you think it hurts the value of, that should "fix" it...i hate those cases myself...if i get one that is new then i put it in a graded card protector bag right away...keeps them from getting trashed that way...if i trade for one thats ugly, i don't hesitate to bust it open and put it in a screwdown or whatever...this is kinda like the old argument to peel or not to peel the protective layer lol.

valediction
theplasticman
mrmopar
mindbinge

Hey! Thanks for the replies. I do think I’ll keep all my uncirculated cards in their original case…………..But still, is there any way possible I can take care of those scratches.

Paul

i tried a few things to clean up a couple of mine and it made it worse so i just started opening them...

valediction
theplasticman
mrmopar
mindbinge

Hey! Thanks for the replies. I do think I’ll keep all my uncirculated cards in their original case…………..But still, is there any way possible I can take care of those scratches.

Paul

Sorry man, there is not.

Sorry man, there is not.

It looks like I'll have to live with those scratches or take the card out and put'er in a TopLoader.

Ya, that's what I'll have to do.....Unless, there is ANYBODY who knows how I can get the scratches out of those uncirculated cards?

Thanks for all your replys.....Paul