Is Venting Allowed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basezloaded

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I keep trying to trade here, but I guess I'm just too darn impatient.

If ever there were two more annoying phrases in all of trading it would have to be (maybe not necessary in this order):

1. CMB (no, they can't even take time to spell out the words, much send you a short list of comparable cards they have to trade - apparently I must do all the work)

2. I'm downsizing (and proceed to offer 50 $1 cards for your $50 auto). This may be my favorite as I've only heard it 4 times TODAY.

Sorry, I'm better now. Where's the ice cream?

Pujols

Have any pujols to trade?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. I have many base, inserts, etc. No autos currently, but do have the following GU as well:

2007 Sweet Spot Jersey
2006 Upper Deck Epic Jersey Green 36/75
2006 Bowman Heritage Jersey
2006 UD F/X Jersey

Dan

Dan,

I hear you my friend. I can only assume some people would rather view the cards as oppposed to get a list and think other traders are the same. I have both a photobucket and website as I try to accomodate all types of traders. As for the downsizing, who wouldn't want to get rid of 50 lower-end cards for one nicer one? I have traded down before many times, not to that extent, but it was because I needed the cards. Everything boiles down to your trading style and collecting preferrences.

With that said, do you have a website that lists your wants? You can check my wantlists on my site if you have time and I will reciprocate if you send me a link/list.

Take care and know that some things just come with the territory.
Dewayne

Lol ,This site isnt close to being as bad as some others ,I recently have tried to increase my Pennington collection on another site. I wont name it ,but I have found it one of the hardest places to make trades ever. I have even put in my threads I do not have time to check buckets, and still get replys like "cmb or I m to lazy to list what I have so you going to have to check my bucket". Sometimes it does get frustrating but you just gotta keep hanging in there.

I am glad to say that I have never used either phrase but I see the first one all the time. I feel as thou I have downsized over the years but haven't used that as a reason to make crazy trade offers and I haven't heard it used on me.

Brian

A selection of cards is the same whether they are in a text list or pictured in a photo gallery. I personally would prefer to SEE the cards I am trading for and I would probably pick up MORE items if more people had picture "lists" vs text lists. I am a visual person when it comes to cards. I may not even know a card exists and have interest in the set, but if I see a card that grabs me, I'll go for it. Imagine going to a card show and asking the dealer if he has any Cal Ripken cards and he hands you a printed list. Most people may look over the list but some will walk away with a chuckle! They are there to view cards.

If one is preferred over the other, that is personal preference, but I wouldn't consider it anything more than you erecting a roadblock to trading, not someone else's roadblock to keep you from trading.

As for listing cards for someone, I'll pass. It's great for those willing and organized to do it, but how often are people on both sides of the fence wanting specific items, only to ask for general wants. I might say show me what Garvey cards you have. Is that lazy of me not to provide you a list I want? Maybe I like dupes. Maybe something I am unaware of will catch my eye. Is it lazy for you to not want to provide a detailed list? Maybe I have everything you painstakingly list and pass altogether. Maybe you have a bunch but don't want to take the time to list them out. You should be able to say check my site and if I want them bad enough, I'll check your site!

A selection of cards is the same whether they are in a text list or pictured in a photo gallery. I personally would prefer to SEE the cards I am trading for and I would probably pick up MORE items if more people had picture "lists" vs text lists. I am a visual person when it comes to cards. I may not even know a card exists and have interest in the set, but if I see a card that grabs me, I'll go for it. Imagine going to a card show and asking the dealer if he has any Cal Ripken cards and he hands you a printed list. Most people may look over the list but some will walk away with a chuckle! They are there to view cards.

If one is preferred over the other, that is personal preference, but I wouldn't consider it anything more than you erecting a roadblock to trading, not someone else's roadblock to keep you from trading.

As for listing cards for someone, I'll pass. It's great for those willing and organized to do it, but how often are people on both sides of the fence wanting specific items, only to ask for general wants. I might say show me what Garvey cards you have. Is that lazy of me not to provide you a list I want? Maybe I like dupes. Maybe something I am unaware of will catch my eye. Is it lazy for you to not want to provide a detailed list? Maybe I have everything you painstakingly list and pass altogether. Maybe you have a bunch but don't want to take the time to list them out. You should be able to say check my site and if I want them bad enough, I'll check your site!

As usual perfectly stated by the one and only Mr Mopar!!

I can understand Mr Morpars point of view. One thing I that with buckets is that most people do not have detailed descriptions with there cards, I have to struggle to figure out what the card is (Lord knows I don't know what every subset looks like!) and then I have to find the value of the card as well. If people would take the time to give proper descriprions, CMB would be much easier to do.

In my perfect world,Photobucket would be a paysite and all members of a site should know how to read.

Luckily for us,you don't have to worry about either on here since most users are educated hobby veterans who still treat trading sportscards as a hobby and the amount of Photobuckets are minimal compared to others.

Nothing wrong with venting. If I got a Bench point for every time I've pissed and moaned,I'd have a slew more points than I have now ;)

To each their own I guess, but I would like to think my Bucket is well organized if it is not I would like to know I also have a freewebs page,but when it comes to PC cards or Gu/Auto's I do like to see what I am trading for and try to extend this option to my trading partners as well. As far as the downsizing that was mentioned in the beginning that is just wrong as well as one person should not have to do all the work. So I do understand both sides of this conversation.

A lot of key points being made here. Each person will have their own qualities. You can't trade with EVERYONE and not run into some friction here and there.

For photo sites, being organized, having good photo quality, labeling, etc. all make for a much nicer, easier experience. Some people will pass if these items are missing, others will look at anything!

It also depends a lot on how badly a person wants to make a deal. There are plenty of people who are so-so about trading and others go at it with a competition-like fever. If I thought I could get a certain card or cards I really, really wanted, I should be willing to do just about anything to get them. On the other hand, if I am looking for trade material or maybe just helping out someone with one of their needs, I may be a little less eager o work at it.

YES, you're just too darn impatient.

If you don't like someone's lists or photobucket or the way they present what they have to trade, what's the big deal ? Move on.

Personally I didn't like your bucket. When I go to the baseball section there's 7 subsections. As a Ripken collector I hate to have to look through every one. But that's MY problem not yours.

I don't mind checking buckets as a secondary measure but I don't like when I receive CMB as an initial response to one of my posts.

If I'm posting a box break or cards for trade, somewhere in my post I'll include what I'm looking for or where my want list can be found. I also have my want list linked in my sig so it's not hard to find out what I need.

I don't mind if someone replies, "I couldn't find anything from your want list, could you please CMB for something that might interest you."

However, I can't stand it when someone replies "CMB" without even checking to see what I need. It's sheer laziness and it makes me bitter toward trading just like it does for the original poster.

Aaron

I keep trying to trade here, but I guess I'm just too darn impatient.

If ever there were two more annoying phrases in all of trading it would have to be (maybe not necessary in this order):

1. CMB (no, they can't even take time to spell out the words, much send you a short list of comparable cards they have to trade - apparently I must do all the work)

2. I'm downsizing (and proceed to offer 50 $1 cards for your $50 auto). This may be my favorite as I've only heard it 4 times TODAY.

Sorry, I'm better now. Where's the ice cream?

I agree with #2, but #1 is totally legit for me. I don't know why but I can't use lists, they don't make any sense to me I need to see the cards. Usually if I see a list post I won't even stop to take a look.

I know not everyones bucket is organized but I take a lot of time to organize my bucket and label everything so when I say CMB I think I am doing you a favor since it's all arranged and labeled for ease of use.

I think the list vs. bucket debate will always rage on lol.

I think with buckets and/or lists the key is that they be well organized. I've seen some rather atrocious buckets and some of my pet peeves include:

1. No names or set references for a scan

There are so many different sets and parallel versions of a card, it's not always obvious what the card is despite the picture.

2. No categories (i.e., autos, game-used, refractors, rookies, etc.)

Hint: Tag players by Name or Team, which makes it easy for other collectors to find something in your collection.

3. Multi-scans

These should be avoided, because it's difficult to see some of the cards. Save multiple scans for base or multiples of the same card, but don't use it for autos or game-used.

4. Keep your Bucket Updated.

If a card is traded/sold, delete it or move it to a Traded/Sold Folder.

Yesterday, I was asked to check a bucket where 50% of the cards in the bucket had been traded -- it's a waste of another collector's time to have to look at something that's not available.

I'd like to think that my bucket is well-organized, and any thoughts on improving it are appreciated.

Always crack up when I see CMB. In my line of work that stands for cereal malt beverage. Here I am trying to trade cards and people keep offering me a beer.

Last edited:
Cmb

Always crack up when I see CMB. In my line of work that stands for ceral malt beverage. Here I am trying to trade cards and people keep offering me a beer.

This one brought a laugh - best response I've read yet.