Larry Jansen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Former NY Giants pitcher Larry Jansen died 10-10 at 89.

Jansen was 21-5 as a rookie in 1947 and he didn't win Rookie of the Year! Why, because another rookie was making a much larger splash that year, Mr/ Jackie Robinson of the Brooklyn Dodgers!

Jansen would win 20 games once more in his career, helping his Giants win the NL pennant by defeating the Dodgers in that historic (Shot Heard Round the World) tie breaker game of 1951. A two time NL AS, Jansen finished his career with Cincinnati in 1956 and compiled a career record of 122-89.

Former NY Giants pitcher Larry Jansen died 10-10 at 89.

Jansen was 21-5 as a rookie in 1947 and he didn't win Rookie of the Year! Why, because another rookie was making a much larger splash that year, Mr/ Jackie Robinson of the Brooklyn Dodgers!

Jansen would win 20 games once more in his career, helping his Giants win the NL pennant by defeating the Dodgers in that historic (Shot Heard Round the World) tie breaker game of 1951. A two time NL AS, Jansen finished his career with Cincinnati in 1956 and compiled a career record of 122-89.

A few other fast facts
  • He allowed Mickey Mantle's first World Series hit — a bunt single in Game 2 of the 1951 Series —
  • Gave up a double to Joe DiMaggio in the eighth inning of Game 6, the final at-bat of the Hall of Famer's career.
  • Was a very good TTMer. I was fortunate enough to get these a few years ago.
jansenpcl.jpg

jansenlarrybuscard.jpg

He was a terrific pitcher and terrific to the fans. I am so sorry to hear of his passing.

ah that stinks. I never got around to sending him TTM but I did pick this up when I was a kid and it still remains as one of my favorite old cards..

1949 Bowman
49jansen.jpg