etiquette questions regarding trades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmcjr99

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
just curious about a couple things...

how long do you wait before marking a trade as received ? (i'm not asking how long i should wait - i always mark items received as soon as i get them in and verify the contents - , but actually how long other people do wait)

if you know (based on delivery confirmation results) that a package was received and the other party has not marked it as such , do you contact him/her asking about it and if so how long do you wait before doing so ? would doing so be considered a no-no ?

i ask because i still have several trades in my list that were sent out last month and whose DC info shows they were delivered approximately 2 weeks ago (october 2nd and 3rd to be specific)...i received my cards from said trading partners , but would like them to at least acknowledge they got their end too...

thanks in advance for any opinions ....
claude

I would check and see if they have logged onto the site recently. If they have and they haven't marked it received within a week, I would send a PM and ask. I don't always have a chance to open my mail right away, but I would think within a week is reasonable. If they haven't logged onto the site recently, then they haven't had a chance to mark as received and I would probably send a PM too.

Just my two cents.

Steph

I would check and see if they have logged onto the site recently. If they have and they haven't marked it received within a week, I would send a PM and ask. I don't always have a chance to open my mail right away, but I would think within a week is reasonable. If they haven't logged onto the site recently, then they haven't had a chance to mark as received and I would probably send a PM too.

Just my two cents.

Steph

thanks for the input....

both have definitely been on since their items were delivered....one made roughly 6 or 7 posts in the week after it arrived but none since then....the other is the one that has me even more baffled - he has made approximately 50 posts in the past 8 to 10 days but can't seem to find the time to confirm that a package consisting of one card has arrived...maybe i'm just being picky or overly sensitive/**** , but when feedback and ratings are a gauge , then i feel they deserve a bit more attention....

thanks again ...
claude

I try to mark my received trades right after I get them. However, sometimes there's a 2-3 day lag. In your situation, I would contact them. Just to see what's up... you want to know right away if they're pleased with the cards. If something negative would come up a month from when they received it - especially after a trade that you felt required DC - it would get confusing as to who was at fault if the trade was not marked received.
-Casey

Claude:
I also do as Steph says in Post #2. Just send them a friendly pm; mention the delivery date according to the d.c. if need be. Some people are just not as organized as others and they will probably mark it as received once you remind them. Good luck.

I try to mark my received trades right after I get them. However, sometimes there's a 2-3 day lag. In your situation, I would contact them. Just to see what's up... you want to know right away if they're pleased with the cards. If something negative would come up a month from when they received it - - it would get confusing as to who was at fault if the trade was not marked received.
-Casey

thanks for the input (from both you and criollos)....i chose to quote yours because of your line : "especially after a trade that you felt required DC" so i could note that except for international trades ALL my outgoing items have DC included - even if it's just a 5-cent common - because i print all my labels via pay pal unless i'm sending via the small flat rate priority box which pay pal still doesn't have in their system yet (and even when i use that option i always pay for the DC anyway)....

glad to hear i'm not being too picky over this matter...granted it seemed more annoying when i was still trying to get my 20 trades in to be able to sell and/or get rid of my newbie-must-send-first avatar , but it just is really more or less one of my pet peeves right up there with CMB , "L@@K !! , HOT!! , or RARE" in ebay titles , bogus "plate proofs" , gang scans , and sellers who call everything a 1/1 gem logo patch ...

edit - kinda funny - i see one of the two has made multiple posts within the past 10 minutes...guess i'll go ahead and shoot him a pm now before heading to the kitchen...

Last edited:
remember...just because the DC says it was delivered it doesn't mean it was delivered to the correct address

remember...just because the DC says it was delivered it doesn't mean it was delivered to the correct address

thanks for the input ....

oh , i am all too well aware of that fact (just don't even get me started on my postal horror stories - some of mine could make a grown man cry) ....but i would also think that with a package being mailed out in september (and i got my end october 3rd as well) that had it NOT arrived by now i would been pm'ed asking why it was late....

ANYway...i just pm'ed one of the two - and he logged off without marking it as received.... :(

oh well....

True. I had purchased a box of cards from an eBay seller, and after a week, I looked up the DC number, only to find out it had been "delivered" two days earlier ... and stolen from my doorstop when my idiot mailman left several packages of mine sitting in the hallway of my apartment.

i usually mark as received a day or 2 later...sometimes the day of...but usually, i get a package, open it just to see which it was, and then when I get time, actually take a look at them (remove the tape, etc) and see if everything is there that is supposed to be...obviously, i mark faster if its just 1 or 2 cards as opposed to 10

update : both marked them as received while i was enjoying my unplanned (read as - dang , i'm getting old) nap....

appreciate all the input....i've always suffered from stagefright and in a way i get that same uneasy feeling anytime i contact someone when i'm unsure of the protocol......some may see it as pushy and others may see no issues....i tend to worry (too much) about it being the former...