Ghost Signers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deltacards

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Saw the Don Zimmer discussion going on in the successes thread, and was wondering if there were any other "Ghost Signers" that people know about. I liked reading the whole Zimmer discussion but I don't like when someone goes into someone elses success thread and says "Congrats, but it's fake" without giving something to back that up with. Please don't just post "I heard from someone one time that John Doe's autographs are ghost signed" Please try and post convincing evidence. In the Zimmer discussion the pretty convincing evidence was a quote from his wife saying she answers all of his fan mail, and if you compared the pictures that were posted of his TTM signatures with authenticated signatures there is a pretty obvious difference with part of his name. Getting cards signed TTM is always going to be risky because even if you do get a return, you weren't actually there to see it get signed so who really knows without getting it authenticated, but hopefully this thread can shed some light on a few of the major "Ghost signers" so people can choose whether or not to spend their stamps and their time to get "Mrs. Don Zimmer's" autograph

thanks
Nate

I don't think anybody in that thread did anything wrong... if I get a success and post it, I'd LOVE to get a post that says "I heard from someone one time that John Doe's autographs are ghost signed"... then I can investigate... figure out if it's legit or not.

It's it's one of my success threads and you guys think it's fake... even without evidence... please let me know so I can look into it more.

thanks

p.s I don't mean I'd love to here that kind of bad news... I just meant if it is a potential fake, I'd love to know so I can check it out.

It has been mentioned more than a few times here that the Bernie Williams ttm successes are from a ghost signer. I have compared 2 different of his ttm autograph cards with certified autos of him, and they are very very similar, if not identical.

Not trying to make an argumentative thread here... Trying to make a thread that will help myself as well as others out.... I myself had sent to Mr. Zimmer in the past and received my card back signed.... Had I known what I know now from reading the other thread I would have saved my stamp because I have no need for an autograph of Mr. Zimmers wife.... Just looking for other instances such as this so people can decide whether or not its worth the risk to send to that athlete... As far as evidence goes I'm only asking that it be given in this specific thread.... People can post what ever they choose to in the success thread, I just meant that I prefer to give evidence when i'm telling someone that their autograph isn't real otherwise it just seems like i'm raining on someone elses parade without any proof that its true... If i think something looks suspicious i investigate and make my own decision, otherwise i just say congrats on your success and move on.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Nate

Hank Aaron through the Braves is the best known ghost signer. Same has been said about Joe Dumars, Fernando Valenzuela, Roberto Alomar, Paul Konerko, Bernie Williams, Bob Wickman, Pat Hentgen, Lee Smith, Jim Thome, Mark Grace, Joe Nathan (sometimes), Chien-Ming ****.

All ghost signers are speculation though, as I have no proof for you except word of mouth.

Mike Modano uses a ghost signer. I sent to him a few months ago and got back cards that were signed rather differently than his authentic autos. The signature of the ghost signer (supposedly his wife or mother) has curvy M's while Mike's certified autos have pointy M's. I'll see if I can dig up an example....

Scobes

Hank Aaron through the Braves is the best known ghost signer. Same has been said about Joe Dumars, Fernando Valenzuela, Roberto Alomar, Paul Konerko, Bernie Williams, Bob Wickman, Pat Hentgen, Lee Smith, Jim Thome, Mark Grace, Joe Nathan (sometimes), Chien-Ming ****.

All ghost signers are speculation though, as I have no proof for you except word of mouth.

Good stuff guys! Thanks for the heads up.... Wish i would've known before I sent to a few of the guys listed above in tigsfans list, but hey that's what I want this thread to be for to give people a heads up before they send to certain athletes.

thanks guys
Nate

Alomar, I'm not too sure if that's a ghost signer....There have been no returns from him on a Mets card.I have sent 3 times already and have not had a success.If it were a ghost signer, wouldn't all cards be signed?

Alomar, I'm not too sure if that's a ghost signer....There have been no returns from him on a Mets card.I have sent 3 times already and have not had a success.If it were a ghost signer, wouldn't all cards be signed?
Actually, saw a report on SCN that showed a pic of an Alomar Mets card. Let's see if I can find it...

55448.jpg
Return date reported: 11/2/09

Delta-thanks for making this thread. I really would like to find out about some of these guys so i don't waste money on having fake auto's

Mike Modano does have someone sign his fan mail, when sent to the Stars and to his off season house. As mentioned previously, it is pretty obvious with the rounded M's. If you want his authentic sig, you will have to try IP with the Stars. The authenic sigs do have pointed M's, and if you use an address other than the one's just mentioned, you stand a far better chance of getting an authentic sig from him.

I must agree with you, it's a bit frustrating when someone posts a comment on your thread that they heard on another site that the sig might be ghost signed. Someone did that to me once about Bernie Parent, saying he heard on another site that his ex-wife might sign his fan mail. Well, I never saw anything about that before or since, and I asked him to back that up and tell us which site. They guy never responded. He simply posted hearsay that he saw else where. That's not supportable evidence.

The best suggestion is to compare the sig to known authentic examples. If you compare a Hank Aaron TTM sig with a known authentic example you will see glaring differences. Same is true with the Zimmers. It's a shame, but some people don't sign their fan mail and let others do it. Back in the late '70's, Nolan Ryan, who used to be awesome TTM, stopped for a while, and let someone with the Angels sign his mail. Now that sig was a horrible trace job of a Ryan sig. Glad they stopped doing that. Granted you have to pay for his sig these days, but you get the real deal.

I've had my own suspicions about Roberto Alomar. I never heard anything about them beening ghost signed before i sent to hum, but I mailed a card to him and received it back signed and it just didn't seem to look quite right.... No major glaring differences that I can see between the Alomar and the authentic signatures I look at on ebay, but it's also not a spot on match.... Mine looks very similar to the one posted by tigsfan above.... If you look at ebay, they are very similar to the authentic pack pulled versions, but not identical, almost a little rushed looking, maybe he just signs his TTM in a hurry since he isn't getting paid for them :) .... Maybe i'm being a little optimistic though

thanks
Nate

I've had my own suspicions about Roberto Alomar. I never heard anything about them beening ghost signed before i sent to hum, but I mailed a card to him and received it back signed and it just didn't seem to look quite right.... No major glaring differences that I can see between the Alomar and the authentic signatures I look at on ebay, but it's also not a spot on match.... Mine looks very similar to the one posted by tigsfan above.... If you look at ebay, they are very similar to the authentic pack pulled versions, but not identical, almost a little rushed looking, maybe he just signs his TTM in a hurry since he isn't getting paid for them :) .... Maybe i'm being a little optimistic though

thanks
Nate
A Mets fan and NY local swayed me to believe these not to be authentic, and I'll tell you why.;) He linked me to a NY Times article (don't remember when it was reported) that Alomar had been sued by an ex-wife over giving her AIDS/HIV (don't remember which). I recall something about hospital stays and blotches of skin turning purple...

How would he have time to sign if he is sick?

Actually, saw a report on SCN that showed a pic of an Alomar Mets card. Let's see if I can find it...

55448.jpg
Return date reported: 11/2/09

that is a first - ive seen a few non certs on ebay that i have stayed away from since i figured they were fakes...was gonna eventually spring for a cert

I've had the problem with Modano's "mom" c/o Westland, MI address - I'll get the scan around and post it.

I have heard that Terry Bradshaw has a ghost signer, but I'm not certain.

He has in the past bragged about never answering his fanmail. Supposedly his brother is in charge of his fanmail and signs it all. I have gotten him IP a few times and it looks similar but is much 'messier'. The first time I got him he said "Ya'll are lucky SOBs. You know I hate doing this so lets just do it and make it quick." My friend had a photo that he had gotten in the mail and asked him to sign it. Bradshaw said it looked like he had already signed it and he said that it was in the mail and rumor was it wasnt him that signed. Bradshaw laughed and signed the photo. It is one I still think has a posibility of being ok.

Comments on two guys names I've seen in this thread and know a little about...

Mark Grace is not a ghost signer. He signs through the mail well, and his signature is easily identifiable.

Don Zimmer is a ghost signer. His wife Jean signs for him.

Examples of their sigs are easy to find on my websites.

Mark Grace: www.markgrace.com
Don Zimmer: www.collectingzim.com

off the top of my head who are rumored to be ghost signed
Joe Montana, Don Zimmer, Bernie Williams, Jim Thome (dunno about this one), Joe Dumars, Terry Bradshaw, Mike Modano, Hank Aaron, Larry Johnson (football), Mike Singletary (dunno about this one myself) Al Pacino, Robert DiNero, Johnny Depp

Stampers
Mark Sanchez and then someone ghost signs personalization
Brett Favre, Barry Sanders, Jim Kelly

Autopen
Muhammed Ali
Steve Young

out of the list of fakes I have a Montana, Bernie Williams, Steve Young, Hank Aaron, Favre, Joe Dumars, Barry, Singletary???, Jim Thome???

now I don't have time to sit and go into explanation about why each and everyone is not real or real, I started the Zimmer thing on the thread you are talking about but at the same time everyone here said congrats to each and everyone of my fakes I have and not one person questioned it and I found out the info on my own. If I spot someone having something they get back and think its real when its rumored to be fake I'm going to give someone the courtesy of atleast saying its rumored to be fake, what they research and deem it as is all up to them

Last edited: