PDA

View Full Version : Hello Fellow Parents: My concerns with todays toy packaging

The_Glavinator
12-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Hello, and thanks for taking a look at my post.

I have recently became very concerned for the environment due to the overwhelming amount of garbage created with today's kids toys.:(

I have 2 children, a boy age 5 and a girl age 1.8. My father spoils my son with gifts at Christmas and birthdays and the garbage piles up! I am sure many parents are as frustrated with this as I am. Why, does there have to be so much garbage associated with these toys! I mean it's hard enough getting the toys out of the packages and then there are 25 small parts, that each come with a piece of plastic on both sides and twist ties that never end!

I would like to start some kind of petition towards the toy companies who are overwhelming our Waste Management Facilities.

I do recycle :) but, it takes forever to seperate the garbage that comes with toys.

Any thoughts on this matter are most welcome! Maybe if, I get enough responses here I could start drafting a letter(s).

Have a great day,

Jason

BiggioDiogu759
12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree. They package it with so much junk, then they say its a chocking hazard for small kids....Really?

greatdadx2
12-05-2009, 12:42 PM
One of the reasons on why they package toys that way is to deter from theft. I agree that it is a pain to deal with.

The_Glavinator
12-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Yes, I realize "theft" aspect of the packaging but, I think it would hard to steal a 18" dump truck that comes with 4 other smaller items that took me 15 mins. to get open.

I believe another reason why the companies do that is for advertising, making the packages all spoofed up with pictures and set in the packaging real nice like "that is how it will look when the child plays with the toy" but, it never seems to be that way.

greatdadx2
12-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, I realize "theft" aspect of the packaging but, I think it would hard to steal a 18" dump truck that comes with 4 other smaller items that took me 15 mins. to get open. EXACTLY
I believe another reason why the companies do that is for advertising, making the packages all spoofed up with pictures and set in the packaging real nice like "that is how it will look when the child plays with the toy" but, it never seems to be that way.

Being in the Assets Protection business for about ten years, you would be suprised what people steal and how they do it.

rynofan23
12-05-2009, 01:15 PM
The company for whom I work has been working with its suppliers for a couple of years to cut down on their packaging for sustainability purposes. We still have a long way to go, but something is being done.

Tai

David K.
12-05-2009, 11:32 PM
The company for whom I work has been working with its suppliers for a couple of years to cut down on their packaging for sustainability purposes. We still have a long way to go, but something is being done.

Tai

Thanks Tai! Nice to hear someone is at least trying to cut down on the excess packaging. Best regards, David

The_Glavinator
12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
One thing I have learned to do with some of the packaging garbage is; to use for packing materials! I am sure some or most do the same but, I have a large pile in my basement of the stuff!

Jason

indigo27
12-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't have kids, but I still buy "toys" for myself every now and then. And yes, the packaging can be beyond ridiculous at times!

The_Glavinator
12-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I wonder if after Christmas is over if, I could take all the garbage and put it in a box and send it back to the companies who made the toys and let them deal with it.

Thank you all for posting it was nice to hear from Tai that someone is trying to do something.

I noticed on Amazon you can opt out of the fancy packaging on some toys which is nice!

avstars
12-06-2009, 05:30 PM
You could start with sending a letter to the manufacturer.

CharlieBrown
12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Well considering how many things are made in China is it any wonder? We all know they are so environmentally conscious. :rolleyes:

The_Glavinator
12-12-2009, 05:26 PM
You could start with sending a letter to the manufacturer.

Originally planned on it. The "sending a box of garbage back to the company" was for humor.......did you not find it funny???