Posting protocol advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bombie1138

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hi everyone,
I wanted to started off by just saying that my experiences here have been great and this is not a thread to complain about anything.
I was wondering though, and looking for just some input and advise on posting a trade.
Is there a protocol on who should make the post when a trade is decided ? I looked through the sticky's and couldn't find anything ,so I just fall back on my own rule that If I make the thread I will make the post,but there's been a couple of times where I felt like the other trader was just trying to beat me to the punch and save themselves some work.I'm not lazy and I don't mind posting, but if I have just spent 20 minutes going through base commons to help someone thread out and they say "Sure,make the post" I feel a little slighted.
I'm not complaining and PLEASE don't Blacklist me,I'm just looking for some input from the Vets..

Thanks,
Clint

Last edited:
Clint I think this is just a matter of communication and preferences. As far as I've seen, there isn't any "established" rule regarding who posts a trade. Some traders here usually post trades themselves...others tend to say "please post it up and I will confirm" or something like that. I don't feel one is necessarily better than the other, it just might be a matter of style of communication really.

Also please remember some people might not have the same computer/typing skills as others. This is something that I didn't realize myself, when I first started trading online and using these forums. Navigating a site like this might be difficult for some people. I can also see that for some people, posting a trade (especially if it's a large trade), might be somewhat challenging, hence it could just be easier for them to say "sure, make the post." Without knowing any other details, I wouldn't think they meant it with any malice or offense.

Hope this helps! -Rob.

I think I understand what your asking here, other than not knowing what prodigal means (am I the only one).

There is no set rules for posting but I will admit to not feeling like doing it sometimes. I just simply ask the other trade, "can you post this for us", it's never really been an issue as far as them not wanting to do it.

Edit:
Robert types much faster than I.

I think I understand what your asking here, other than not knowing what prodigal means (am I the only one).

There is no set rules for posting but I will admit to not feeling like doing it sometimes. I just simply ask the other trade, "can you post this for us", it's never really been an issue as far as them not wanting to do it.

Edit:
Robert types much faster than I.

I probably think too much and am too wordy. :D

I always have Ed post my trades. ;)

Just kidding. No rules as to who posts. Either trader can post as long as it is posted and confirmed by the other trader. Just make sure the trade is as explicit as possible so each party knows exactly what is being traded.

I recently made a trade where my trading partner asked me to post because "all he had at the moment was his phone". I had never thought of that before as a possibility for making a trade. I figured most of us are sitting in our hobby shrines with our mounds of cardboard!

And I'm thinking he meant "protocol"!

Last edited:
I corrected my type-o,..prodigal,..lol,..reminds me of the story 'The Prodigal's Son',..I think your right Robert,it goes with the "Flow" of the communication.

Clint

I recently made a trade where my trading partner asked me to post because "all he had at the moment was his phone". I had never thought of that before as a possibility for making a trade. I figured most of us are sitting in our hobby shrines with our mounds of cardboard!

That could well have been me. At home, my only internet access is on my blackberry. When posting a trade, I click on "Next," but the browser doesn't advance to the next screen. Figure it's probably an issue with running scripts on my phone that doesn't allow me to post trades on it. But I do have a computer in the office. :)

Hi Clint:
I'm with you. Some traders act as if their time is more important than our time, or act like we owe them something. To me, "post it up" sounds rude; "could you please post ?" sounds much much better.
If I can't post the trade right away I usually ask them to please post the trade if they have the time, or that I will post the trade later on when I have more time to do it.

I guess another situation to consider is that the other person could be at work and just checking in.I also try to take in account that some traders here are doing 3-4 trades at one time and that's a lot to handle,..so I just try to help them out

I usually like to post myself for one simple reason. I post as much info about the cards (ie. Year,card#, manufacturer, and player name) as I can. I have had some people post things like this.

evan longoria card

This makes it hard to figure out what I am getting from the other trader.

Sometimes I say, "please post if that works" just to put the deal in the other person's court. It just saves a step. I don't have to get confirmation, THEN wait to see who is going to post.:)

Usually, if the trade works for them, they'll post it up. If it doesn't and the other person makes a counteroffer that I like......I go ahead and post it up.

Either way, I never look at it like a "chore" or anything. I have even made several deals with people I feel I know on here and neither of us ever posted the trade.

If anyone ever feels like I need to post the deal, please tell me! I will not be offended.

Tim

<<Agrees with Dan
One thing I like to throw out there is that while trying to work the trade out if the person writes out completely what they are offering,..

Example:
2008 Topps Heritage Dick Perez #HDP8 J. Chamberlin
instead of
Heritage Perez J.Chamberlin #8

This helps out greatly when posting a trade,you can just copy and paste,
quick and easy,..

Last edited:
It is probably in your best interests to post the trade yourself. That way you know what you are sending and what you are receiving.And another piece of advice is to be very specific. By posting that you are recieving a lot of a certain amount of cards leaves you open to getting something you may not want.

Just my opinion.

Bryon

One thing I like to throw out there is that while trying to work the trade out if the person writes out completely what they are offering,..

Example:
2008 Topps Heritage Dick Perez #HDP8 J. Chamberlin
instead of
Heritage Perez J.Chamberlin #8

This helps out greatly when posting a trade,you can just copy and paste,
quick and easy,..

My first year on the Bench....I did not know how to do the copy and paste method...Now I know and its so easy! Best regards, David