DUKE SNIDER Update!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdahlk2001

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
alot of people on a another auto ttm board have got him RTS from mid december on. heard his healt isnt the greatest...hope he gets well. great player to his fans.

That's too bad. I have him on a penny sleeve and on the card. The first time I sent to him, he signed the sleeve, then I sent him the same card again telling him what happened and he signed the card. What a great guy!

snider.jpg

I have to take that statement back I was referring to Gil Hodges. Please understand the double Post as I had to correct myself ASAP. As you can tell I like Gil Hodges. Tom

Its really a shame that a player of his caliber doesnt make the HOF and Andre Dawson does ? Tom

Duke Snider is in the Hall (Elected 1980 86.49%). But I really hope this he gets well soon. Great signer, he signed a 2008 DOnruss Threads card for free. He is a tremendous part of the baseball and card collecting world.

Also, to be fair, Dawson was statistically better in every offensive category.

Yes, Dawson was great, as was Duke Snider and Gil Hodges. I do hope Snider's health improves. He is a true legend and has been great to baseball fans everywhere!

Hodges is one of those players from a different era, who's stats are a bit over shadowed by inflated stats of players in the steroid era. Hodges was about 10 votes shy of election, as I recall, his last year of eligibility with press voters in 1983. I have no doubt the Veterans Committee will eventually vote him in. I think his taking the Mets, a team no one thought would go anywhere, to the 1969 World Series title pretty much cinched that. The question is when. I do believe that if you are a Hall of Fame player you will eventually make it into the Hall of Fame.

Sad that Roger Maris did not get due respect during his living years....HOF voters should be ashamed of themselves.

*edit...oops! meant Maris not Musial...too many things going on at once lol.

Last edited:
To me Maris has one of the best stories in baseball...it's part of the legend of the golden age of the sport...stuff like that has to be included in it's Hall Of Fame...some things you just can't measure in stats, i think that's where the people who vote get lost sometimes...wish it was different. Stats are important, but shouldn't be the only thing...and to me it's hypocritical for them to keep McGwire out based on something other than his stats, and not let someone else in just by stats alone. Maris doesn't have huge numbers, but if you look at him as a collective and what he was involved in with the game itself...it's a no brainer.

To me Maris has one of the best stories in baseball...it's part of the legend of the golden age of the sport...stuff like that has to be included in it's Hall Of Fame...some things you just can't measure in stats, i think that's where the people who vote get lost sometimes...wish it was different. Stats are important, but shouldn't be the only thing...and to me it's hypocritical for them to keep McGwire out based on something other than his stats, and not let someone else in just by stats alone. Maris doesn't have huge numbers, but if you look at him as a collective and what he was involved in with the game itself...it's a no brainer.

I just finished watching "61*" again. Love that movie! The thing voters had a hard time with were his power numbers over all. After all, it was his power numbers that got him those two MVP Awards and the 61 HR's in '61. He was one of the games most dominant players at the time, but only for a short time. He only hit more than 30 home runs in three seasons: 1960, 1961, and 1962. Personally, I think his is one of the greatest stories in the game, and a great player. A two time MVP demonstrates his dominance in that era. I believe one day he will get in, but when?

As for McGwire, in 1998 he was seen as everything that was good about this era of baseball, and now all people talk about are steroids. Did he do it? If he didn't why doesn't he say so? Blah, blah, blah. Forget about the steroid talk/scandal and forget about his numbers, too. Look at film of him in 1998. He had one of the best pure up in the air home run swings I ever saw. He was fun to watch, as was the chase to 62 in '98. I was so glad to hear he joined the coaching staff of the Cardinals a couple of months ago. I know he's been a private man, and I certainly respect that, but his reputation has taken a beating publicly since he appeared in front of Congress. I think rejoining major league baseball again will be the first step in clearing the air surrounding him. Time will tell. Personally, I think it's great he's back.

I recently sent a TTM request and it was refused...I kept the envelope thinking The Duke of Flatbush himself refused my request, that makes it special enough for me...

DSC04303.jpg

The curiosity is what gets me...so many unanswered questions...was Mr. Snider the one who labored his pen to "refuse" my request? Is he without any kind of family or caretaker that could do such tasks for him? Perhaps I should send him a "Refused: Return to Sender" stamp and ink pad to save him the trouble. I would, but I fear he would also refuse that package without even knowing what was inside. How ironic would that be? He must get dozens of requests daily. I respect the fact that he was courteous enough to "refuse" the request, he could have more easily tossed it in the mixed paper bin.

It is pathetic that I still have this envelope. But, this envelope is a far more intriguing piece than what I was originally requesting. I already have a Snider auto...its a cert from Topps Heritage. I sent a TTM because I was hoping for something a little more personal. Not that he would have inscribed it or anything special but he would have signed it for me, because I requested it, and that would have given the card a personal touch and brought me closer to the game and the hobby. The cert auto is fine for my collection but he signed that one for Topps...

I think I'll be keeping the envelope for a little while...

Oh that sucks thats why I just got mine back!
Also got one back from John Wooden, same thing but they sent my card and everything with a letter.