close this thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a limit to how often i can apply(i didnt see that info in there)? i mean i dont plan on applying every week but id like to apply now to get some feedback but not if i wont be able to reapply for a year or something like that.

sorry to revive a dead thread but i had a question that i meant to ask way back then and forgot. this is mainly for the people that vote on the super collector thing.

my collection is very speciliazed as i said above. i only collect ernie banks gu auto and vintage and no dual cards. so that significantly cuts down on the number of cards out there for me to attain. i know one of the things that we have to list is the number of cards we have and the number out there and no matter what i will never have close to all of them out there nor do i care to. so im wondering if the fact that i specialize my collection like that will hurt me or not?

sorry to revive a dead thread but i had a question that i meant to ask way back then and forgot. this is mainly for the people that vote on the super collector thing.

my collection is very speciliazed as i said above. i only collect ernie banks gu auto and vintage and no dual cards. so that significantly cuts down on the number of cards out there for me to attain. i know one of the things that we have to list is the number of cards we have and the number out there and no matter what i will never have close to all of them out there nor do i care to. so im wondering if the fact that i specialize my collection like that will hurt me or not?

We do take the total % of cards owned pretty heavily into consideration when voting. Since we have had the program I can only think of one collector who was voted in with less than 20% of the total cards available owned. Figure out your total % owned. If you are less then 20% you will probably not get enough votes.

i guess i dont understand why the fact that i dont want to collect modern base/insert cards is going to be held against me. wouldnt it make more sense for a collection like mine if i figured out the number of cards that meet the requirments(either gu, auto or vintage) and the figure the total percentage of that?

i guess i dont understand why the fact that i dont want to collect modern base/insert cards is going to be held against me. wouldnt it make more sense for a collection like mine if i figured out the number of cards that meet the requirments(either gu, auto or vintage) and the figure the total percentage of that?

Your's is more of a theme collection than a super collection when you decide to only collect certain aspects of a player. If I was making a set for 2010 Topps Heritage but did not want to include any Astros players I wouldn't call it complete. Hence the title, to be considered "Super" means you go after everything of a player. Most guys even collect many non-card items as long as it pertains to the player.

Being a "supercollector" means just that - you super collect that player. It does not mean that you kinda collect him, and then only a certain type of card. Meliah described it as a theme collection, which is pretty accurate. If I only collected Nolan Ryan cards that featured him with a bat in his hands, I could have all of his cards pretty quickly. We can't start differentiating between different types of supercollectors, we are sticking with what we have always went with.

Being a "supercollector" means just that - you super collect that player. It does not mean that you kinda collect him

sorry that im not a "real" player collector. i dont need a small little badge saying ernie banks name to know i have a good banks collection. go ahead and close this thread down.

I think Tim struck the core of the issue. Everyone who collects any sort of theme certainly has interest and passion for that particular area, be it a team, player, set or other. However, not everyone with the passion has the means or ability to become a "benchmark level" collector of that area either. Finances/budget, personal taste and other areas could affect how much and how intense one collects and it shouldn't detract from the collection, but those people have to be honest in their evaluation of the collection compared to others. Not everyone is a "Super Collector" in the broad sense, but you are right, you don't need anyone's approval and a badge to prove you have a decent Banks collection. I may have one of the most strict opinions on the matter personally. I would like to think that only 1 person can be THE BEST when it comes to a player collection, especially considering the level of 1/1s out there. Someone always has a better collection until you find the best collection out there. The best is then THE Super Collector and the rest are still aspiring. I probably would not have voted yes on some of the current SC collections, but I have seen some that I would have that are not recognized as well. Again, this is only my opinion here, but I think one can't honestly call themselves a Super Collector unless they are willing to chase everything out there featuring their player. Anything short of that desire is not Super. I mean, how can a true Super Collector not want things like coins, cups or posters, periodicals, newspapers, pennants, gloves, bats, pencils, glasses, art, statues, etc?

I know there is a player collection website thread knocking around here. I suggest finding it and checking out some of the sites. These people are not necessarily more passionate about their collections as you might be, but they have eliminated most restrictions that may arise to obtaining phenomenal collections and have put forth immense effort to showcase those collections. A few I have seen and greatly admired are certain Frank Thomas, Rod Carew and Pete Rose collections, all of which are linked in the thread I believe.

sorry that im not a "real" player collector. i dont need a small little badge saying ernie banks name to know i have a good banks collection. go ahead and close this thread down.

Nobody has said you don't have a good Banks collection, as a matter of fact lots of people liked the cards you showed in one of your threads. Like you said, it's just a "small little badge" so there is no reason to get upset about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.