1958 Topps Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcoker79

Prospect
I wanted to put together a vintage set. I have decided since a 1958 Ted Williams AS was the first card my grandfather gave me this would be the set. After looking on Ebay, it looks like PSA 7 will fit my budget because anything higher is quadruple the price or more. My questions are this...Are there any better paces to buy graded cards than Ebay? Is there a way to know if all 494 cards are available in that grade? Is there a way to guage price from raw to graded? Shows really aren't too helpful here and shops are nonexistent, so internet is really the only option. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Your best bet (besides eBay) is to join graded card websites like SGC and PSA and post your wants in their trade section. I know, for example, that a guy at SGC recently sold many graded '58 cards, maybe even a whole set there. PSA 7 cards should be very reasonable, probably like $5 for most commons. As you've noticed, there is an exponential jump higher when you start chasing 8s or higher...

I'm starting to consider just taking my time and put together a PSA 8 set. I know it will cost more money but rewarding too I think. Is there (gulp!) price guide for graded cards to maybe give me a ballpark of cost?

VCP and SMR

The best way to get accurate $'s for graded cards is to get a subscription to Vintage Card Prices (VCP) .com...They take an average price for sales of graded cards only, from eBay and other online auctions to give you an idea what graded cards are going for. It is very user-friendly albeit a bit expensive, $25/mo. or so but well worth it if you are buying lots of graded cards...You could also get completed listings from eBay (30 days) or 90 days with their Terapeak service, I think this is $20/mo and this is not for just graded cards. SMR is a priced guide by PSA that is historically inflated on most graded prices, usually by 20-30%, i.e. of a PSA 7 is listed at $100 in SMR it tends to sell on eBay for 70-80 of course that is a generalization. In terms of the PSA 7 vs. PSA 8 differential, it is probably the difference between paying 5,000 for a complete set vs. 15,000+.

I wanted to put together a vintage set. I have decided since a 1958 Ted Williams AS was the first card my grandfather gave me this would be the set. After looking on Ebay, it looks like PSA 7 will fit my budget because anything higher is quadruple the price or more. My questions are this...Are there any better paces to buy graded cards than Ebay? Is there a way to know if all 494 cards are available in that grade? Is there a way to guage price from raw to graded? Shows really aren't too helpful here and shops are nonexistent, so internet is really the only option. Thanks for all your help in advance.

If you give me your email address I can get you the population report from PSA for the 1958's. Probably get you the SMR price as well.

You better have deep pockets to go after this set as an 8. Here are a few examples of SMR value for an 8 grade:

1 Ted Williams $1400
5 Willie Mays $800
150 Mickey Mantle $2200

Good luck,

Shawn