2010 Topps 206

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taliasen

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
2010 Topps 206

Topps Sell Sheet for a 24 pack retail box. I opened a 20 pack Hobby edition box.

Box Break Video

Per Box Items: (Hobby Box)
20 Packs per box (24 for retail)
9 cards per pack (6 for retail)
Two autographs and/or relics per box.

The standard sized base cards are a little thicker than other base cards releases. The white bordered card fronts feature a full color posed shot of the player, usually form the mid-section up. The cards are done in the original 206 style with different scenic backgrounds that look like water color artwork. All of the players are shown without hats, again like the original 206 cards. Topps did release 50 Short Print cards with hats on variations. A very simple design on the front with just the set, player, and team city name on the bottom. The RC card logo does appear of the front of the appropriate cards. The card backs are photo-less and again simple in design. Just the player's name, team and position are listed with no other biographical information. Brief career highlights are the only other thing that grace the card backs.

What I Pulled:
180 unique cards - no duplicates
135/300 base set cards - 45% of the base set
One Piedmont framed mini autograph
One Piedmont framed mini game-used
Five "hats-on" Short Print cards
One "Cycle" mini #/99
One "Personalities" mini #/206
Five "Caramels" minis
Five "Piedmont" minis
Two "Polar Bear" minis
One "Old Mill" mini
Five "Historical Events" minis
18 Bronze parallel cards

Base card front and back:
206base.jpg

The inserts: (Not all scanned)
Personalities mini Holmes #/206
Cycle mini Berra #/99
Historical Events minis 2, 3, 5, 11, 18
Caramels minis 29, 113, 175, 187, 219
Piedmont minis 168, 173, 204, 281, 300
Polar Bear mini 162 (Jeter), 199 (Vlad)
Old Mill mini 106
"Hats On" Short Prints Ginzalez (Padres), Howard (Phillies), Jimenez (Rockies), Pence (Astros), Porcello (Tigers)
Bronze parallel 41.47, 53, 78, 83, 84 (Ripken), 95, 150, 185 (Ruth), 197, 204, 233, 234, 246, 251, 276, 288, 293
206Inserts.jpg

The Hits:
Piedmont framed autograph Matt Tolbert
Piedmont framed game-used Geovany Soto
206Hits.jpg

2010 Topps 206 is all about the nostalgia. Making cards of players form today and yesterday in retro, vintage card styles is all the rage. 2010 Topps 206 definitely scores a run. There is something classic about the simple clean design. I can really see how collectors get excited about this style of card set. Yes, I did pull a Strasburg and Heyward RC card so that was exciting. I really like the look of the framed auto and game-used cards. The auto is on the mini card (non-sticker) and it hits very well. The bronze parallel cards are thicker than the base cards. Almost think enough to be used as dummy filler cards. The mini parallels will be fun to chase and the Historical Events mini are all events that took place around the release of the original 206 cards, early 1900's. The numbered Berra mini is cool but what is up with the Personalities mini of a Topps brand manager? I know about the debate of non-baseball cards in card packs, but now we have to pull cards of the people who make them?

The Bottom Line:
I give 2010 Topps 206 a buy rating. You will need at least two boxes plus some trading to complete the base set. The bronze parallel set will be fun and the mini parallels will be challenging to collect. Shop around and look for a deal on boxes though because unless you get one of the fold-out books, multi-game used cards, you will have a hard time making your money back by flipping the hits.

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 5):
Base set collect-ability: 3/5
Big-hit Hunter: 2/5
Prospector Hunter:2/5
Overall Design: 5/5
Fun: 5/5
Value: 5/5
Re-buy: 5/5
Overall Quality: 5/5

Overall: 32/40 (80% = B)

As always I am offering base cards to members of The Bench for a SASE

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

Tal

Hi Tal,

Once again, nice review. I think the Historical Events minis are a nice touch. I'd love to get these if you pulled them:

236 Johnny Bench
254 Reggie Jackson

Thanks again,
John