Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball To Feature Extensive Relic Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taliasen

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
2011 Topps Gypsy Queen will offer one of the largest relic sets the hobby has ever seen with its STAMP RELIC CARD PARALLEL.

There will be 350 cards in all featuring Major League Baseball players accompanied by a postage stamp from the state or country they were born in. From California and Maine to Cuba, Japan and Venezuela, the set will feature an array of stamps from different places and time periods.

In addition, these cards will be limited to 10 copies per piece.

The all-new 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen is set to release this April and guarantees 4 hits per box (2 Autographs & 2 Relics)!

They really have run out of new ideas! Stamps...been there, done that. Subway tokens, coins, etc. I used to really like the unique stuff when it was just that, UNIQUE. Remember the Skypin John LeClair and Bledsoe coin cards from Skybox? The skymotion redemption card of Grant Hill and Brett Favre? The all-foil commemoratives of Hill and Hakeen. The Leather Favre card? Those were cool, because they made one or a couple different cards. As soon as it becomes a huge set, it loses it's luster.

I'm ready to see just plain old baseball cards again with decent designs and no extra junk! I really liked a recent OPC set with bright colors, crisp action photos and a slight retro design to it.

Not such a bad idea I think.I will say that I really like the retro designs but I loathe all the NON sports cards that are put into them especially Ginter.Just to name a couple of No Frill sets,Bowman and topps chrome come to mind..Even Tribute has non sports cards in it now..Pay $250 bucks and you might pull a Hatfield vs. Mcoy gold card.Really Topps?

thats the thing too that boggles my mind pay 95 bucks for a dozen cards and get an auto graph of huckleberry hound. the stamp card idea maynot be new but its intresting, just like the coin cards coming out in the heritage hobby boxes this next run through. problem is the card may have a stap in it that you can get out of a pull bag for 2 cents and then an auto of a worthless no name player. and i wonder what no names were going ot get tons of that no one even wants for tradebait. if they really wanted to make the hobby more intresting then drop the price.

oh funny next time you get one of the 69 dollar hobby boxes notice it says for ages 6 and up. lol like to see the 7 year old ploping down 70 bucks for a box of cards these days.

it's all a matter of perspective, likes & dislikes. i'll take ginter & some of the odd issue stuff every time over some of the "real basball" issues. in my view issues like topps M&M, bowman/bowman chrome etc are total crap, particularly the bowman JUNK. $100+/box for bums who will never get to AAA. the secondary market is even more stupid. what kind of moron will pay $2,000+ for a carlos gomez, or $20,000+ for a strasburg for that matter. the real loser is the fool who ends up owning the card. think that guy can get 20K for that strasburg now? think he can get 10K if he returns as a john lackey clone, or $1K if he doesn't respond well and finishes his career with 40 wins? how many "1/1's" does strasburg have? 25? 50? 100? it's still just MODERN cardboard!

Topps, do I at least get a free box or something for the idea? :D
I made about 7 or 8 different cards like this one back in late 2009 and posted them on FCB.
ichiro-stamp.jpg

maravich-stamp.jpg

Anywho, it will be interesting to see what Topps came up with.

To each his own I guess..But on the same note all those "junk" prospects,well at least they are sports cards..I don't really see much of a demand for world leader or extinct animal cards among collectors or whatever kind of junk they put in Ginter..Oh I forgot to mention the "biggest hoax" cards..There should be one in every box saying You have been had by the Topps company thinking you were buying sports cards but instead we put these ****** inserts in place of real cards..

Last edited: