The Bench: Official Stance on "Paypal Gift" for TGB's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slavlite

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Based on user concern The Bench has taken an official stance on using Paypal Gift for purchases.

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/thebench/faq.php?faq=bench_policies#faq_trade_issues

Using Paypal "Gift" has become popular to avoid additional fees while selling. We are not saying that you "Cannot" use it as a valid form of payment, however, when you do so you release paypal from protecting you as a buyer, and we have decided that if you Make a purchase on The Bench and pay with "Paypal Gift" as payment method, that you are doing so "AT Your Own Risk".

If you pay via Paypal Gift we will not make any effort to work on a TGB filed in the case that you do not receive your package. In order to protect yourself we recommend using regular Paypal as a payment method or to avoid fees completely use a M.O. or Personal Check where applicable.

Abusing the Paypal Gift option can also lead to negative effects to your own Paypal account.

Thanks,
The Mod Team

I applaude this move!! I never send payment as gift, sometimes that involves me throwing in an extra .50 or $1. I feel that it is a well worth-it investment to have the security. Now with new rule in place people will either have to eat the small % paypal takes or price their cards accordingly.

I have used the GIFT thing a number of times without a problem. That will obviously vary from site to site though

I wouldn't say this is sad that it had to come to this for two reasons. First one is that they charge credit card fees even if using funds in my account. Second is that I'd prefer to keep the money in our users hands. With shipping beginning to make some trades not worth it, I'd prefer for my buyers to keep it in their pockets, and to keep it in my pocket when i am the buyer rather than give it to the eBay/paypal conglomeration. Remember, they don't want the small time seller anyway.

Having said that, I completely understand if people won't send paypal gift, and I won't hold it against them one bit.

I think people are missing the point. PayPal offers buyer protection for normal purchases, when the payment is in the form of a gift they can't offer that protection and the TGB team is saying they won't either. If you are going to be a buyer under such circumstances you have to take responsibilty that if you get ripped off you have no one to blame but yourself and the TGB team is letting you know that there is enough of a problem in this area that they do not want to be involved.

I think people are missing the point. PayPal offers buyer protection for normal purchases, when the payment is in the form of a gift they can't offer that protection and the TGB team is saying they won't either. If you are going to be a buyer under such circumstances you have to take responsibilty that if you get ripped off you have no one to blame but yourself and the TGB team is letting you know that there is enough of a problem in this area that they do not want to be involved.

Agreed. Short story is if you don't know the seller, don't send paypal gift.

One nice thing about our community here is that over time you know who you can trust. Would I send paypal gift to a new person? No. Gotta protect yourself. However if I ever need to pay someone I've traded with before, or other members who've been here for a long time, it's worth it to me to save them the fees, hoping they'd do the same for me. It all adds up in the end.

Part of what makes this site great is the people behind it, the vast majority are great traders.

But in the end, you need to protect yourself, so if you're not sure, don't send it gift, it's that simple really. But when we can help each other to save as much as possible, we all win by having more to spend elsewhere.

Agreed. Short story is if you don't know the seller, don't send paypal gift.

One nice thing about our community here is that over time you know who you can trust. Would I send paypal gift to a new person? No. Gotta protect yourself. However if I ever need to pay someone I've traded with before, or other members who've been here for a long time, it's worth it to me to save them the fees, hoping they'd do the same for me. It all adds up in the end.

Part of what makes this site great is the people behind it, the vast majority are great traders.

But in the end, you need to protect yourself, so if you're not sure, don't send it gift, it's that simple really. But when we can help each other to save as much as possible, we all win by having more to spend elsewhere.

You and I are on the same page, this is one of the reasons I don't go to the expense of Delivery Confirmation for almost all transactions, I figure if I can't take the hit for a full loss I don't go without but based upon the value and level of most traders that isn't a problem.

I just found an awesome solution for those of us that have a smart phone. If you send the money using the paypal app it is sent as a gift to the seller, actually they call it a "personal payment". However if you go on the site and look at the transaction it still has the resolve a problem link that protects you. Win win!

I wouldn't say this is sad that it had to come to this for two reasons. First one is that they charge credit card fees even if using funds in my account. Second is that I'd prefer to keep the money in our users hands. With shipping beginning to make some trades not worth it, I'd prefer for my buyers to keep it in their pockets, and to keep it in my pocket when i am the buyer rather than give it to the eBay/paypal conglomeration. Remember, they don't want the small time seller anyway.

Having said that, I completely understand if people won't send paypal gift, and I won't hold it against them one bit.

100% agree. It would be like a bank charging me credit card merchant account rates every time I accepted a check and deposited it into my account. If paypal wants to rip me off like that then I have no problem using the system to my full advantage.

TheDogHollerer says it's about integrity. I agree ! But I won't lose any sleep over taking advantage of a THEIF !

Ebay/paypal (not to mention the usps) has us by the short hairs and doesn't mind squeezing every last penny out of us they can. When I have the chance I'm gonna squeeze back !