Panini making baseball cards again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I find this news exciting, however, I hope MLB Properties rethinks their entire situation with Topps as it seems to me, demand and value never are the same for MLBPA licensed / Non MLB Property licensed products, i.e. 08 Donruss Threads, with the exception of Prospect based sets such as Elite Extra edition ( which will be their first release)

Personally I would fully welcome a return of MLB Property Licensing for a Manufacturer other than Topps(and would greatly prefer Panini to Upper Deck)

Panini/Donruss/Playoff have made some amazing looking cards in the past 6 - 10 years, as well as some innovative sets that generally have a lot more to offer than any Topps product released since 2007 (again IMO)

I agree I welcome Panini into baseball but I think they will be able to produce better cards if they are able to use the team logos. I saw a picture of some Josh hamilton's from contenders and the cards were nice but just lacked something for me.

Any competion for Topps will be great, except for my wallet. I collect Hockey and love most of the Panini sets releases this year.

I hear you on the wallet part. I havent opened a box of cards since 2008, and even then only because of 08 Upper Deck Heroes and I did bust 4 boxes of 08 Donruss Threads.

06 and 07 really turned me off of busting boxes or packs based on what I received from the ones i did open those years.

I long for a return to 04 and 05 I went a little crazy those years, but was able to support my habit by selling some of my pulls andat the same time pull cards I wanted to keep from products like Leather and Lumber, Prime Patches, Zenith, Absolute memorabilia, Leaf, Leaf Cert Materials.

It also seems to me that in 04 and 05 I was getting better product from Upper Deck and Topps, probably because they had to compete with the quality of product Donruss/Playoff was releasing.

I too miss the days when there were a lot of products to choose from. Hopefully things will get better with Panini! I just want there to be someone who can give Topps a jolt.