Cards Before Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

majdic2136

Pro
4.90 star(s)
As some of you know I've been collecting 1 of each Topps card from every year they've been around (1952 - present). I'm almost finished as I only need 4 more cards and decided to take this a step further. I need your help with a few things though. First of all I know that even though Topps came out with a before there was topps base set, They definitely didn't list every card made before Topps came aorund. I want to try and collect 1 card from every year that cards were around. I know of Bowman for 1951, but I'm lost before that so any help on years and cards made that year would be awesome. Also where do oyu guys get your awesome really old relic should be in the Hall of Fame cards as I like to call them? lol I don't exactly have a ton of cash to spend, but want a descent cards for this collection so any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Are you wanting to collect one card from every year that cards were made or are you wanting to collect one of every brand and year of card ever made? Collecting one from every brand of every year leaves the possibilities endless and you will have to set some guidelines to narrow down exactly what you want.

If you want to just collect one card from every year regardless of brand, that should be much more manageable. Topps actually produced red backs, blue backs, and Connie Mack All-Stars in 1951. Bowman started in 1948 and produced cards until 1955 before being bought out by Topps. For the years 1942 to 1947 there were not really an main-stream sets produced due to paper rations caused by WWII. Before that, it is hit or miss whether or not a main stream set was produced in a given year. Although it's not perfect, here is a pretty good list of the most commonly collected sets produced from 1975 back: http://www.psacard.com/PSASETREGISTRY/SetComposition.aspx?c=2038. There are some pretty tough sets on that list, where it will be very difficult to obtain any card for under $100.

BTW, the kind of collection we are talking about is called a "Type" set (ie. you are collecting one of every type of card within certain guidlines.) Here are some of the ways that I can think of that collectors build type sets:

- One from each year of a certain set. It sounds like you are complete with this for Topps base sets, which is pretty cool I think :)
- One card from every year, much like what you are describing. To stay on a budget, you could limit it to only post-war cards (1948-present).
- One card from every set on a certain list like the one I posted. You can also limit this to certain years such as post-war years.
- One from each type from a certain company. Similar to your Topps collection, but by also throwing in the '51 Red Back, '75 Minis, '69 Deckles, etc.
- One from each Tobacco set, Gum set, or candy set produced. This would be for primarily pre-war sets.
- The possibilities are endless.

I hope that helps some. Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Britt

Are you wanting to collect one card from every year that cards were made or are you wanting to collect one of every brand and year of card ever made? Collecting one from every brand of every year leaves the possibilities endless and you will have to set some guidelines to narrow down exactly what you want.

If you want to just collect one card from every year regardless of brand, that should be much more manageable. Topps actually produced red backs, blue backs, and Connie Mack All-Stars in 1951. Bowman started in 1948 and produced cards until 1955 before being bought out by Topps. For the years 1942 to 1947 there were not really an main-stream sets produced due to paper rations caused by WWII. Before that, it is hit or miss whether or not a main stream set was produced in a given year. Although it's not perfect, here is a pretty good list of the most commonly collected sets produced from 1975 back: http://www.psacard.com/PSASETREGISTRY/SetComposition.aspx?c=2038. There are some pretty tough sets on that list, where it will be very difficult to obtain any card for under $100.

BTW, the kind of collection we are talking about is called a "Type" set (ie. you are collecting one of every type of card within certain guidlines.) Here are some of the ways that I can think of that collectors build type sets:

- One from each year of a certain set. It sounds like you are complete with this for Topps base sets, which is pretty cool I think :)
- One card from every year, much like what you are describing. To stay on a budget, you could limit it to only post-war cards (1948-present).
- One card from every set on a certain list like the one I posted. You can also limit this to certain years such as post-war years.
- One from each type from a certain company. Similar to your Topps collection, but by also throwing in the '51 Red Back, '75 Minis, '69 Deckles, etc.
- One from each Tobacco set, Gum set, or candy set produced. This would be for primarily pre-war sets.
- The possibilities are endless.

I hope that helps some. Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Britt

thanks...I'm still not sure where I am going to go with it, but it is fun none the less!

I think I might try and collect some cards from the tobacco and chewing gum companies, but mostly focus on the main brands and having 1 card from every year...I'd need help finding the years they were around though...only company I know the years is Topps and I'm almost done with them

Topps (1952-Present) (need 53, 54, 70)
Leaf
Bowman
Fleer
Score
Upper Deck
Donruss
and any others I might have missed

I think I might try and collect some cards from the tobacco and chewing gum companies, but mostly focus on the main brands and having 1 card from every year...I'd need help finding the years they were around though...only company I know the years is Topps and I'm almost done with them

Topps (1952-Present) (need 53, 54, 70)
Leaf
Bowman
Fleer
Score
Upper Deck
Donruss
and any others I might have missed

I believe this is correct for the base sets:
Topps (1952-Present)
Leaf (1949, 1960, 1985-1988, 1990-1998, 2002-2005)
Bowman (1948-1955, 1989-Present)
Fleer (1960-1961, 1963, 1981-1997, 2002, 2006-2007)
Score (1988-1998)
Upper Deck (1989-2010)
Donruss (1981-1998, 2001-2005)

I think that is all of the major companies. If you want all of the other products produced by these companies and the more minor or short lived companies, the list is very, very long. Also some of the companies produced other brands outside of the years listed. For example, Fleer produced a lot of other brands like Fleer Premium and Fleer Focus from 1998 to 2005, but only produced basic Fleer in 2002. If you go to Beckett.com and figure out how to search on there, you can come up with a pretty good list.

I believe this is correct for the base sets:
Topps (1952-Present)
Leaf (1949, 1960, 1985-1988, 1990-1998, 2002-2005)
Bowman (1948-1955, 1989-Present)
Fleer (1960-1961, 1963, 1981-1997, 2002, 2006-2007)
Score (1988-1998)
Upper Deck (1989-2010)
Donruss (1981-1998, 2001-2005)

I think that is all of the major companies. If you want all of the other products produced by these companies and the more minor or short lived companies, the list is very, very long. Also some of the companies produced other brands outside of the years listed. For example, Fleer produced a lot of other brands like Fleer Premium and Fleer Focus from 1998 to 2005, but only produced basic Fleer in 2002. If you go to Beckett.com and figure out how to search on there, you can come up with a pretty good list.

thanks for all your help...I'll have to check out beckett and see what else I can come up with

I've been doing some research and haven't found any years besides the years you've listed so I think that they are accurate...I've also found that I actually have more cards that I think, but the harder to find cards will be a challenge