A question about graded Kellogg's 3D cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurri17

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Might be a longshot question, but was wondering if anyone had ever had the unfortunate experience of having a nice graded Kellogg's issue only to have it crack during the time it was in their possession while in the case? It hasn't happened to me (don't have any yet), but I am going to start picking up graded copies of my '70s A's faves and a few others and just wondered if this was possible? common? very rare?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Rob

Whew, just got through sorting through all the responses. Just kidding. But, just saw three '71s hit ebay all PSA graded 8 or 9 and all cracked. Now, figuring they didn't get those grades with a crack, so I am going to go out on a limb and make a general statement that yes, they are subject to cracking after being slabbed.

I know nothing about having them graded but I have alot that are ungraded and all very nice. So, seeing this I guess they'll stay ungraded. Dave

Last edited:
Maybe it's when they are flattened out for a period of time....................Most of mine, ungraded, curl like a comma.......................I just keep mine in a big jewel case.......................

PRosefan: Yep, if they ain't broke don't fix 'em (or mess 'em up) I guess. I would only get a few select copies of graded ones, so I may take a shot on those, but none of the nice ones I have.

Angels/Ramsfan: Ah, the collector's lament. Unfortunately, the stuff I don't have from my youth is all my fault, sold it. Wish I could blame my Mom.

Metsman1986: Yes, that most likely seem to be the cause of cracking. They seem to do well with just a bit of a curl. I have some in cases, and others are in albums which I keep standing up and seem to have done well so far.

I wonder if the cracking occurs when the card is reshaped (pressed) for a second time? I have some '82 Kellogg's that are in plastic sheets. I put them in plastic sheets in the mid-80s and they've stayed there since. No cracks on any after 25 years.

Similarly, I have some of cards from the same set sitting in a box (curled, of course) and no cracks. Haven't considered putting those in plastic sleeves.

Perhaps if the Kellogg's cards have been in a plastic sleeve, removed for an inspection, and slabbed, they crack?

Who knows. Definitely not me...just a crazy theory...

just stumbled on to this post...yeah...they'll sure as heck crack in a slab. I don't get any of mine graded. I have a few that I've picked up and have not cracked, but they will.

I believe that if they ever got a strong curl, it's highly likely they will crack on way or another. BUT...I just put them in a 9-sleeve in a folder and leave it standing in an upward position so as to not put pressure on them.

I've got my sets in the bank in card boxes in penny sleeves, and I don't feel comfortable about that...they will do a slight curl but not much. Also, keep it in a warm environment, and don't let them go through big temperature changes that will expand and contract the plastic.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Anybody got an extra '71 Brodie with No cracks?