2011 Topps Tier One

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taliasen

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
2011 Topps Tier One

Per Box Items:
7 cards per box
2 autograph cards
1 relic card

Topps Sell Sheet

The base cards are thicker than regular base set cards. Fading to a white border, the card fronts feature a full color action shot of the player. The cards are serial numbered in the upper right corner and have the set logo and player name in gold foil along the card bottom. The backs are photo-less. Trimmed in red and black, the backs list moderate biographical information, complete career statistics, and "Career Tiers," highlights. Both the card fronts and backs are very glossy.

What I pulled:
7 unique cards
3 base #/799
1 parallel #/199
2 serial numbered autographs
1 serial numbered relic

Base card front and back:
Kershaw, Pineda, Gonzalez all #/799
scan0019-3.jpg

The parallel:
Bert Blyleven #/199
scan0020-2.jpg

The Hits:
Gio Gonzalez auto #/699
Jordan Zimmermann Auto #/999
Rogers Hornsby dual relic #/99
scan0021-2.jpg

As a replacement for the missing annual Topps Sterling, Topps Tier One fell short. An ultra premium, high-end box with only seven cards per pack/box certainly sounds like Sterling but there are some key differences. Not wanting to compare the two products though as this is a review of Tier One. For the price point, I expected a higher caliber talent checklist, bigger hits and no redemption cards. I personally did not pull a redemption, but they are plentiful in Tier One. The overall quality and design of the base cards and hits is good. Just like any lottery ticket you could strike it rich or strike out. If you strike out, you will have a hard time trying to flip/trade cards for your money back.

The Bottom Line:
I give 2011 Topps Tier One a shop around rating. You will be further ahead to buy singles of cards. Light on rookies, the potential for a redemption and the hit or miss of the hits means you should shop around for your lotto ticket. If you pick up any, trade your Tigers cards to me!

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 5):
Base set collect-ability: 1/5
Big-hit Hunter: 2/5
Prospector Hunter: 2/5
Overall Design: 5/5
Fun: 5/5
Value: 3/5
Re-buy: 5/5
Overall Quality: 5/5

Overall: 28/40 (70% = C)

Topps sent me this box to review for Baseball Digest.

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

Tal

Nice review! The base cards look interesting....might try for the set...Thanks to Topps for the free box for your review! Best regards, David

I think it was a disagreement between Tal, and two other Mods. At least that is what it looked like. Not sure what went on behind the scenes. Its a shame, he seemed like a great contributor here.

Closing this down.

We do not ban people Willy nilly around here

That being said, this wasn't a disagreement between mods,, the ban was fully justified. If you have any questions or concerns you can PM any time you want, But I will not discuss the specific issues around this ban. or any other ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.