Need input on grading a Ryan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beachbum

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have a 1974 Ryan/Seaver #207 that is miscut bad. Vertically it's fine, but horizontally it is 100/0. The card is NrMt otherwise so it is very clean and nice...what grade do I land on ultimately?

Thanks for any help!

For PSA, if the card truly is NM, you would get a 7 with a mis-cut qualifier (MC). I'm not as familiar with Beckett, but I believe you would get a 1 on the centering subgrade, which would bring your overall grade way down.

I haven't read too much on BGS for a while, but it used to be the rule of thumb was it didn't get more than a half grade over your lowest subgrade. When the disparity is that great though, I'm guessing they'd just mark it down some. I saw one that had 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 7 and it was an 8 slab

I haven't read too much on BGS for a while, but it used to be the rule of thumb was it didn't get more than a half grade over your lowest subgrade. When the disparity is that great though, I'm guessing they'd just mark it down some. I saw one that had 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 7 and it was an 8 slab

That's what I was thinking as well. The FAQ now just says they use an algorithm that heavily weights the lowest grade and that the overall grade "rarely, if ever" receive a grade lower than two points over the lowest subgrade. I'm not really sure what exactly that means. http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleId=301