Review 2012 Topps Opening Day - M L B

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
2012 Topps Opening Day - M L B​

36 Packs - 7 Cards per pack
"Look for Autographed Cards"

I received the following:
205 unique base cards - 93% of a set - EXCELLENT!!

img201.jpg

The base cards are printed on bright white stock and are glossy on the front and the reverse - no foil printing. Opening Day seems to feature the most popular players in major league ball today. The reverse of the cards has the players complete pro stats and a short piece on something other than baseball - for example, Ryan Braun - off season pursuits - ping pong - cool!

Inserts

No number?
img202.jpg

Carlos Lee
Don't really know if this is an error or an SP or an intentional 'error' - couldn't happen to a better player and I use the word 'player' in a very loose sense. I have been to many Astro spring games, for someone who is paid $18m for a year, the Astros are not getting their money's worth - by a long shot.

Blue Parallels and Mascot Cards

img205.jpg

6 Blue parallels #ed to 2012
9 Mascot cards

Fantasy Squad and Elite Skills Player

img203.jpg

9 Fantasy Squad
9 Elite Skills Player

Superstar Celebrations

img204.jpg

9 Superstar Celebrations

Opening Day Stars

img206.jpg

4 - 3-D Opening Day Stars

Topps Opening Day is an excellent issue for the younger collector to get their feet wet with collecting. There are lots of star players, the set is not overwhelming in size, and the inserts - lots of inserts that should not be a great problem completing.

I really like the 3-D cards. They look good and 'feel' good. This is my favorite insert of the entire bunch. The Fantasy Squad cards also look very cool.

The Mascot cards are sure to be a favorite among the younger collectors as well. I'm not sure of the total number of mascot cards, but the total set could not exceed 30 - if I'm not mistaken. Several teams don't have mascots that I am aware of... Cubs, Yankees, Astros, and probably others.

Overall grade A excellent beginners set!

Go buy several boxes and send the Rays inserts and parallels to me!!

Duane

Nice review. I bought a box of this to open with my son, and it was a great value. My Carlos Lee had no card number either.

If you got any Mets blues, we'd be interested - didn't manage to pull any of those.

Thanks,
Andrew

Nice review. I bought a box of this to open with my son, and it was a great value. My Carlos Lee had no card number either.

If you got any Mets blues, we'd be interested - didn't manage to pull any of those.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sorry, no Mets blues, but I do have Mr. Met #7, Wright - Fantasy Squad, and Wright/Reyes - Superstar Celebration --- if you want them.

Duane

Sorry, no Mets blues, but I do have Mr. Met #7, Wright - Fantasy Squad, and Wright/Reyes - Superstar Celebration --- if you want them.

Duane

I could definitely use all of those. I don't have any doubles from this set, but if you need the Matt Moore base (RC) I have an extra. Or I can find you some other Rays.

The Matt Moore is more than sufficient.

Are you going to complete the set? If so, tell me what #'s you need and I'll include as many of those as I have.

Duane

The Matt Moore is more than sufficient.

Are you going to complete the set? If so, tell me what #'s you need and I'll include as many of those as I have.

Duane

Duane,
Yeah, that'd be great. We only need a few now:

Any help there would be great.

Thanks,
Andrew

Those look like they would be fun to open ...not high dollar and maybe something to open with a niece or nephew, son, daughter, etc...

Thx again for the review, Duane.
Diane