PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Maple Bats

roddster
08-29-2012, 11:47 PM
I started making baseball bats a year ago and have made a bunch. I've got enough for myself, so I've decided to start to selling/trading them.

I started making them because I was disappointed in the quality of Louisville Slugger wood bats. Handles were very thin and I constantly was breaking bats. So I decided to make my own, with thicker handles, made from rock maple. While my bats tend to be a bit heavier, they are tough and durable.

If interested LMK. Bats are available for $40 dlvd. Size is important, let me know how long of a bat you'd like.

Also willing to trade for baseball cards. Certified autos and GU Patches. Will consider anything you've got at any, I repeat ANY BV. If it catches my eye I'm interested. Just post up an offer. Would also consider if you can come up with a bunch of hits from my set needs list. LMK if interested!

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o602/roddster4/IMG_00000382.jpg

grapler135s
08-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Very cool!!! I may be interested in one in the future!

Motown G
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Wait a minute....you are making bats? That is awesome!!! I might need a few in the future, I have 3 boys!!

roddster
08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Wait a minute....you are making bats? That is awesome!!! I might need a few in the future, I have 3 boys!!

Oh I'm making bats alright. Teach them boys of yours at a young age that true ballplayers play with wood bats. No better way to play the game than with your bare hands and a fresh cut piece of maple

criollos
08-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi Ryan:
I'm interested in one. Maybe I could trade you for it, or do a card+cash (or Paypal) combo. I would need a 33 inches one. I do like the two-tone one. PLMK. Thanks,

Luis

autographhunter
08-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Nice bats. I may be interested in trading for one in the near future. Please give my bucket a look and see if you are interested in anything. Thanks

roddster
08-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi Ryan:
I'm interested in one. Maybe I could trade you for it, or do a card+cash (or Paypal) combo. I would need a 33 inches one. I do like the two-tone one. PLMK. Thanks,

Luis

Luis,

I think we can work something out. LMK if this is or isn't going to work for you:

Hanley Ramirez 07 Goudey Auto + $15 paypal for a bat

Or

Hanley Ramirez 07 Goudey Auto + Manny Ramirez 00 UD Auto for a bat

LMK if either offer works. Got some things to go over as well:

A. The two-tinned is 33 in, it's yours if you want it, but I do have to say that the knob of the handle does have a hairline crack on it. Won't effect the integrity of the bat or its strength, it is just there from when the wood dried. I will say that this bat is made from the highest quality piece of wood out of the bunch. Quite dense, very solid piece of lumber.

B. I send first. If you hate the bat when you open it up rts it right on back to me.

C. When you get it / use it please give me some feedback. I want to know what people think, and most of all want you to be happy with what you get. Hope you post feedback here on this forum for others to see.

So let me know if you're down.

- Ryan

Nate213
08-31-2012, 10:28 PM
did I see this on the news lately? I saw a guy just like this!

criollos
09-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Luis,

I think we can work something out. LMK if this is or isn't going to work for you:

Hanley Ramirez 07 Goudey Auto + $15 paypal for a bat

Or

Hanley Ramirez 07 Goudey Auto + Manny Ramirez 00 UD Auto for a bat

LMK if either offer works. Got some things to go over as well:

A. The two-tinned is 33 in, it's yours if you want it, but I do have to say that the knob of the handle does have a hairline crack on it. Won't effect the integrity of the bat or its strength, it is just there from when the wood dried. I will say that this bat is made from the highest quality piece of wood out of the bunch. Quite dense, very solid piece of lumber.

B. I send first. If you hate the bat when you open it up rts it right on back to me.

C. When you get it / use it please give me some feedback. I want to know what people think, and most of all want you to be happy with what you get. Hope you post feedback here on this forum for others to see.

So let me know if you're down.

- Ryan

Ryan:
We will work something out. I'm inclined to send you the Hanley Goudey and $15. Now, is the hairline crack just at the bottom of the knob, or is it moving up along the side o the knob towards the handle? Thanks for the offer to stand 100% behind the sale of the bat, but I would hate for us to keep maling the bat back and forth, wasting money on shipping. I would take a different 33 inch if I'm not sure. Thanks Ryan.

Luis

roddster
09-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Ryan:
We will work something out. I'm inclined to send you the Hanley Goudey and $15. Now, is the hairline crack just at the bottom of the knob, or is it moving up along the side o the knob towards the handle? Thanks for the offer to stand 100% behind the sale of the bat, but I would hate for us to keep maling the bat back and forth, wasting money on shipping. I would take a different 33 inch if I'm not sure. Thanks Ryan.

Luis

Luis, It's just on the knob. The crack isn't going anywhere. If you want though I pulled this one off the lathe today. Pretty nice one. Much closer in looks to the typical style of my bats too. The one on the top is the new one. Quite a bruiser of a bat with a bigger barrel. LMK which one you want.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o602/roddster4/IMG_00000389.jpg

- Ryan

criollos
09-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Luis, It's just on the knob. The crack isn't going anywhere. If you want though I pulled this one off the lathe today. Pretty nice one. Much closer in looks to the typical style of my bats too. The one on the top is the new one. Quite a bruiser of a bat with a bigger barrel. LMK which one you want.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o602/roddster4/IMG_00000389.jpg

- Ryan

Very nice Ryan. Is the "new" one also a 33 inch? If so, let's go for it. Also, I'll do whatever you want: either both Hanley auto and Manny auto, or Hanley + $15 Paypal. Let me know, or post it if you want. Thanks Ryan.

Luis

roddster
09-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Very nice Ryan. Is the "new" one also a 33 inch? If so, let's go for it. Also, I'll do whatever you want: either both Hanley auto and Manny auto, or Hanley + $15 Paypal. Let me know, or post it if you want. Thanks Ryan.

Luis

It's sure is 33 in. I'd prefer the Manny, but post up whichever. Once you post it up I'll send it out.

Thanks!

- Ryan

Motown G
09-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Ryan--Please take a look at my bucket and see if anything interests you. Adult and youth bats. Thanks!

criollos
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
It's sure is 33 in. I'd prefer the Manny, but post up whichever. Once you post it up I'll send it out.

Thanks!

- Ryan

OK Ryan, I will send you the Hanley and the Manny autos for the bat. I'm torn, man.....I like the big barrel of the newer one, but like the smaller or "less fat" knob of the old one. Are you sure the newer one is 33"? It seems about 1/2 inch shorter if you look at the picture.

mj23bullsfan
09-01-2012, 08:28 PM
very nice looking bats!! all they need is a woodburning of lightning bolt and wonder boy :)

paul

roddster
09-02-2012, 12:53 AM
OK Ryan, I will send you the Hanley and the Manny autos for the bat. I'm torn, man.....I like the big barrel of the newer one, but like the smaller or "less fat" knob of the old one. Are you sure the newer one is 33"? It seems about 1/2 inch shorter if you look at the picture.

I tell you what, as my first customer I'm going to send you something that you just can't be disappointed with. Trust me haha. Post it up.

Ryan

criollos
09-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I tell you what, as my first customer I'm going to send you something that you just can't be disappointed with. Trust me haha. Post it up.

Ryan

OK Ryan, trade posted. I'm looking forward to swinging it. So, this is your All-Ramirez trade: you are getting Hanley and Manny, from Luis. Goofy, I know.

roddster
09-02-2012, 11:28 AM
OK Ryan, trade posted. I'm looking forward to swinging it. So, this is your All-Ramirez trade: you are getting Hanley and Manny, from Luis. Goofy, I know.

I think if you threw in some Aramis and some Alexi base cards It might make my head spin. Haha

Anybody else interested in trading for or buying a bat?

criollos
09-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Friendly bump

aspoe093
09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Do you have pictures anywhere of your bats? I would need a 34 in 31 oz if I am going to get one

roddster
09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Bats being sent tomorrow. Sorry for the delay guys. Work's been crazy.

Aspoe - My first post has pics. Reference back to page one. I'll check for a 34", but the weight I do not know... Sorry, don't have a scale.

roddster
09-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Buuuump

criollos
09-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Ryan:
Received the bats yesterday. Thank you so much. I'll see if I can get to the park and try them this weekend.

Luis

roddster
09-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Ryan--Please take a look at my bucket and see if anything interests you. Adult and youth bats. Thanks!

Motown G - Here's your 26 inch bat fresh off the lathe this morning. Made it a hair bigger because if it's a little big your kids now, they will always grow into it. Too small wouldn't be good. LMK if you like it, and if so how you would like it finished.

Dark stain, light stain, two toned, or unfinished. It's up to you.

The one above it is apx 33 inches and it too is fresh off the lathe and available ft to anybody interested.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o602/roddster4/IMG_00000404.jpg

Criollos - did you get the card as well that I tossed in as well? Hope you like the lumber. Please let me know how hitting with them goes!

criollos
09-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Motown G - Here's your 26 inch bat fresh off the lathe this morning. Made it a hair bigger because if it's a little big your kids now, they will always grow into it. Too small wouldn't be good. LMK if you like it, and if so how you would like it finished.

Dark stain, light stain, two toned, or unfinished. It's up to you.

The one above it is apx 33 inches and it too is fresh off the lathe and available ft to anybody interested.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o602/roddster4/IMG_00000404.jpg

Criollos - did you get the card as well that I tossed in as well? Hope you like the lumber. Please let me know how hitting with them goes!

Yeah man, thank you! I almost through it away with all the wrapping paper. I actually thought "hey, I think that the address is in a top loader,.....I'm going to save it". And boom!........there was a nice GU of a player I collect. My wife asked me how do you paint/stain the bats? And also, how come the two-toned one is way heavier than the black one?

roddster
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah man, thank you! I almost through it away with all the wrapping paper. I actually thought "hey, I think that the address is in a top loader,.....I'm going to save it". And boom!........there was a nice GU of a player I collect. My wife asked me how do you paint/stain the bats? And also, how come the two-toned one is way heavier than the black one?

The way I stain them is I hang them from the ceiling with string and a tiny nail that goes into the knob of the bat. Then I hand painted the stain on. For that very shiny dark bat I put on several coats, and for the lighter toned I paint it once, let it sit for a minute then wipe the excess off. Wiping it off let's you see the grain better and applies more evenly. Wait a day, spray on a gloss coat, and bam you've got a painted bat.

The two toned is heavier because the wood used is from the center of the tree. The older wood in the middle of the tree is denser and stronger. The other bat is from wood closer to the bark, while still very strong, is weaker than wood from the center.

So, you get a chance to use em' yet? Please let me know!

autographhunter
09-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Finished a trade with roddster. Bat seems very well made. Great design and finish. He was also kind enough to include two nice Twins cards, thanks for the deal!

metrotheme
09-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Do you have a 32" bat?

roddster
09-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Do you have pictures anywhere of your bats? I would need a 34 in 31 oz if I am going to get one

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o602/roddster4/IMG_00000425.jpg

I asked the nice post office lady to weigh this one for me because I thought this may work for you. 31 oz on the nose. 34" as well. Interested?

Metrotheme - Yes I do. Interested in one?

roddster
09-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Do you have a 32" bat?

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o602/roddster4/IMG_00000431.jpg

First bat with my new decals. "M" standing for Munnatawket Lumber Co. Which is the brand name for my bats.

This bat is 32", but I must warn you, she ain't for the weak. This is a rock solid and heavy bat. Doubt this thing will break anytime soon.

LMK if interested and what you have to offer if interested. Thanks

roddster
09-16-2012, 01:36 PM
For trade/sale five Munnatawket Maple Bats. Top bat is 34", middle three are 33", and the bottom one is 32".

Looking for hits to my set needs list, Allen & Ginter N43 Relics, and any Autos or GU Patch cards. LMK if interested in trading for or buying a bat.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o602/roddster4/IMG_00000434.jpg