National

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Kozelichki

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Spent Saturday at the National...

1. It now costs $25 just to walk in. That's $50 for my son and me. That's $50 I won't spend at some dealers' tables. It'll probably be $30 the next time the National rolls around to Chicago. It's quickly pricing itself out of the reach of many fans.

2. Had decent success selling the few items I brought. Still have a Ron Santo Pro's Pizza card and a couple of St. Louis football Cardinals phantom playoff tickets. Sold another Santo Pro's Pizza (not as good of condition as the one I still have), a couple of Kelly's Zip pins of Kaline and Marichal from 1969, three 1950's mini pennants, 64 Bears press guide and an early 70's Dale Tallon Canucks puzzle in box with original wrapping.

3. Bought an early 70's Billy Williams hitting record album. I've actually been looking for it for awhile. Picked up 3 issues of Vineline that I needed. Only 11 to go to have the full run. A 1959 Jet magazine and a 1960 Baseball Album, both with Ernie Banks on the cover. A couple of Who's Who with Ryne Sandberg on the cover, and an early 70's pennant of the WFL's Chicago Fire. While happy with my purchases, I left with a lot of money in my pocket.

4. Many dealers had only graded cards, so I didn't look at their tables. Many others had boxes to search. No time for that. The corporate booths are of no interest. Given all that, there was plenty of time to get through all the rest.

5. Came in hoping to find a Ken Holtzman model glove, and also one of Jim Hickman. Found neither. Also looking for Ken Johnson signed ball and photo (8x10 as a Cub). Found neither.

6. Certainly saw a lot of quality collectibles and memorabilia.

7. Dealers who don't have prices on their items burn me. I found one item in particular and the guy quoted me a price. My son went by a little later and gave him another price... and the two weren't that close. Are these guys just making up prices as they go?

8. Started looking at some autographed Cubs photos. The dealer said, "You a Cubs fan?" I said yes. He then said, "You have my sympathies. They suck." I then left his table. Why be an ass when you're trying to lure customers?

9. Overall, I thought the crowd was weak. Seemed like a lot of people when the show started, but once they spread out throughout the building, it wasn't that busy. With about three hours left, there weren't many at all and some dealers were already packing up at about 4:30 when the show ended at 6.

10. Had no inclination to seek out autographs. The prices on most were outrageous. Again, that might draw some people to the show, but it takes a lot of money off the floor.

11. Next year in Cleveland, then Atlantic City, then back to Chicago. It's getting to the point where the admission price is about to keep me from attending. The fall of spring Sun Times shows cost $10, and, while not as big, generally have more of the items that I'm interested in.

I can't believe it's $25.00 to just get in...... That's crazy..

Glad you sold a few items. Most of that probably went to getting your entrance fee back. :(

I hope your son enjoyed it as well,

Ron

Yeah, the stuff I sold covered my admission and then some. In fact, I actually spent very little of my own money on the stuff I bought. I walked out with almost as much as I walked in. That sounds great, but I came in wanting so much more.

I'm not a big fan of the sticker shock either, but here's the way I've started to look at it:

$25 got you an all day pass to the biggest show in the country. You could spend hours just browsing. There isn't much you can do these days for $25. A while back, a friend called me up. She was taking her niece and their cousin out for dinner and bowling, she asked me to go with. We went to Denny's and then spent a couple hours bowling and let them play in the arcade/laser tag section. It was over $250 for the four of us and Amy and I didn't even hit the arcade. I went to the movies last Friday with some friends and their kids, I was at $24 for a ticket, popcorn, and drink for a 100 minute movie for just me. I can buy some nosebleed tickets to watch the Twins play for under $25, anything in the lower two decks or just in the fist few rows of the outfield are $25-85 each, even for a Tuesday night game against a White Sox team that's just as bad as we are. I went to a cheesy local wrestling match in an old Armory and it was $15 just to get in. Concerts? A lot of them make $25 look like parking money. I went to Twinsfest this year and it was $15 to get in and that wasn't nearly as big. You could go to Target and get two blasters and a few loose packs, or get the two of you into the National for a day.

Wow - It was $18 last year at Baltimore if you purchased online ahead of time. I think it was $20 at the door but Valediction has a good point about what else does $25 get you in this world?
I am thinking about the AC show in 2015 but not sure if I want to try it or not. The 1st National I went to was there in the early 2000's and it was the last one on the east coast until 2010 when it came to Baltimore, that was how bad it was at AC. Hopefully it will come back here sooner rather than later.
Trish

I thought that the National wasn't coming to AC until 2016?

$25 for an admission ticket is probably about average for a show like this at a major convention center. I went to a comic convention in Philly back in June and the admission for one day for one adult was $65.

I must have a very different perspective on the 2003 National in AC than most because I had a great time at that one. I got quite a few cards for my collection there.

Last edited:
Tickets were $20 (+$1 fee) if purchased in advance on the national webpage. Kids 12 and under were free.

The schedule for future Nationals:
2014 - International Exposition (I-X) Center - Cleveland, OH
2015 - Donald E Stephens Convention Center Rosemont IL
2016 - Atlantic City Convention Center - Atlantic City NJ
2017 - Donald E Stephens Convention Center - Rosemont IL
2018 - International Exposition (I-X) Center - Cleveland, OH

Tickets were $20 (+$1 fee) if purchased in advance on the national webpage. Kids 12 and under were free.

The schedule for future Nationals:
2014 - International Exposition (I-X) Center - Cleveland, OH
2015 - Donald E Stephens Convention Center Rosemont IL
2016 - Atlantic City Convention Center - Atlantic City NJ
2017 - Donald E Stephens Convention Center - Rosemont IL
2018 - International Exposition (I-X) Center - Cleveland, OH

It just keeps on staying back east.....So sad...Not even Dallas Tx....I could fly from Ca to Tx. Been to 3 Nationals and it looks like thats it. We sure start our own Nationals on the West Coast. Best regards, David