Review 2013 Topps Chrome - M L B

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
2013 Topps Chrome - M L B

24 packs - 4 cards per pack
'2 Autos per Box'

I received these:

img739_zps51e96b25.jpg

75 unique base cards - 34% of the base set of 220

Topps Chrome is exactly as the name implies - chrome - highly reflective. Topps has found the cure for the chrome curl of years gone by -- very good. The design is the same as the base set - they look great. I have not seen miscut or misprinted cards.

One error card that I am aware of: Jose Fernandez - Marlins uni - Seattle logo -- uncorrected.

INSERTS

Refractors / X-Fractors

img740_zps10c7cd00.jpg

8 refractors
4 X-fractors

Both are clearly marked 'refractor' under the number. I really like the design in the x-fractor background. I do believe the x-fractors should have been numbered - i.e. ***/2013 - makes them a little more collectible in my eyes. There are also 1/1 X-fractors... would be very cool to pull one of these!!

Blue/Sepia Refractors

img741_zpsa0c6bdf6.jpg
One of each
Price - blue #ed to 199
Lynn - #ed t0 75

There are other chrome colors - gold, red, and black - I am sure of in the hobby box.

Die Cuts

img742_zps86a35131.jpg
img744_zpsd553e7db.jpg

My favorites...

2 Close Connections
Heyward and Hamilton

Dynamic Die Cut

Dylan Bundy

'72 Topps

2 - Bundy and Skaggs

Autos

img743_zps99b27f42.jpg

Brandon Maurer
Alfredo Marte

Both are on card blue Sharpee autos.... very well done!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most will want this set. Topps Chrome should not be that hard to collate. It should take about 4 boxes and the boxes should render more than enough trade bait to complete the set.

The player collector will have numerous parallels to chase - especially if one chooses to include the retail boxes and their various colored parallels - orange and purple.

The autos - look fantastic.

There are SP's - close up shots of some of the players. To the best of my knowledge, I have not received any of these. There are some other inserts - game used - and game used autos out there as well.

As usual, I am partial to the die cuts. The Close Connections are not only die cut, but are refractors as well.

Overall grade A -- still want the x-fractors numbered....

Go buy a bunch of boxes and send the Rays (yes, I know they just folded in the playoffs) parallels to me- especially if you pull a Wil Myers auto.... still haven't got one of them things!!!

Duane

Nice Bundy!

Otherwise, what do you think of Chrome reverting to similar colors from '07 topps chrome (for the autographs base set)?
Minus the stickers, they look painfully similar (as do most years recently) other than the design of the home plate, etc. I'm sticking to finest this year, and staying away from chrome.

Looking forward to hopefully reading a review of finest! Hopefully you pull a Wil Myers for your P.C.!

Zach

Nice Bundy!

Otherwise, what do you think of Chrome reverting to similar colors from '07 topps chrome (for the autographs base set)?
Minus the stickers, they look painfully similar (as do most years recently) other than the design of the home plate, etc. I'm sticking to finest this year, and staying away from chrome.

Looking forward to hopefully reading a review of finest! Hopefully you pull a Wil Myers for your P.C.!

Zach

I'm not a Topps apologist, but I believe that they are attempting to put out a consistent product and not necessarily a creative one. In consistency, they are excellent - creative - well the HD photography helps. The backs of the cards for me are much the same on nearly every issue - some Bowman and Finest are exceptions. I like an additional picture on the reverse - I would like it to be a different pic than the front. Maybe one of these days we'll get 2 action shots on the front of the card - maybe with a diagonal line from corner to corner??

As far as Finest goes, I have only seen one card from Finest (the one that has been circulated by Topps).

Thanks for reading,

Duane

I'm not a Topps apologist, but I believe that they are attempting to put out a consistent product and not necessarily a creative one. In consistency, they are excellent - creative - well the HD photography helps. The backs of the cards for me are much the same on nearly every issue - some Bowman and Finest are exceptions. I like an additional picture on the reverse - I would like it to be a different pic than the front. Maybe one of these days we'll get 2 action shots on the front of the card - maybe with a diagonal line from corner to corner??

As far as Finest goes, I have only seen one card from Finest (the one that has been circulated by Topps).

Thanks for reading,

Duane

To be honest, 1995 Topps may have the ugliest name designs, etc, but Mitsubishi diamond vision back pictures made those cards! Also, 1993 Finest, by far the reason I bought 2013 finest.

Thanks for the review Duane. I'm so glad Topps has found the cure for the chrome curl. Please LMK if you pulled any of these.

27 32 33 77 116 145

Thanks, Brett

One thing I would add Duane is that they are very reflective and sturdy. They seem to be slightly thicker than previous years. I think the gloss coat is thicker. They seem to pick up fingerprints much easier too...at least from MY greasy fingers. LOL!
Get any Mets parallels?