Some major pick ups this weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I was at an auction this weekend and bought a box for 160.00. To say that I was floored when I looked in it was an understatement. The following are some of the highlights that came out of the box

1935 National Chicle Knute Rockne
1962 Topps #17 Mike Ditka
1962 Topps #90 Fran Tarkenton
1958 Topps #66 Bart Starr
1958 Topps #90 Sonny Jurgensen
1961 Tops #1 Johnny Unitas
1985 Star #1 Michael Jordan Last 11 ROY's 1984-85 Rookie of the Year (x2)
1985 O-***-Chee #9 Mario Lemieux autographed

The Rockne is the only card that is not in mint condition. It would probably grade a 3.

I am thinking of sending this stuff in to PSA to get graded.

Please let me know if you think it is wise to send it in the get graded.

Thanks,

Bryon

Awesome cards! Great luck in that box.
I would send them all in, even the Rockne. There are a lot of forgeries out there, and the peace of mind would mean a lot to me.

I have been trying to find myself a 1985 Star Jordan that is raw that looks real to me for my PC. Super great find!

I have some news about this stuff. I was also a little worried after talking to a local dealer on the phone. I am pretty sure that at least some of these are fakes. I am going to a local dealer later this week and have all of them checked out.

I will keep everyone informed. If they are fakes then they will be destroyed to take them out of circulation.

I have some news about this stuff. I was also a little worried after talking to a local dealer on the phone. I am pretty sure that at least some of these are fakes. I am going to a local dealer later this week and have all of them checked out.

I will keep everyone informed. If they are fakes then they will be destroyed to take them out of circulation.

Worst case, even if a couple are fake - the remaining ones should still easily cover your purchase price. And completely agree, take the fakes and destroy them, no need for anything like that to be floating around. Good luck - hope more comes back positive than negative.

I ran into a similar situation this weekend. A friend of mine picked up a Ryan RC, a 1969 Ryan and a 1967 and 1969 Mantle for $400 and was looking to trade them to me. While I won't say they were mint they were NM and Ex-NM cards. The problem was they felt wrong in my hand, like they were a little thicker or firm. I passed on them because I just was not sure if these were real or not. I trust my friend but he picked them up locally from someone he had not dealt with before and my question on the cards would be from the source. I don't know for sure if these were fakes or not but I just did not like the "feel" of these particular cards so I passed. I may kick myself if they turn out to be real but better safe than sorry for me in this case. I'm just not sure how to pick out the real from the fakes and I have been collecting a long time. I guess if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Hopefully, your cards are legit. I'd at least send 1 card to PSA or auto to see what is what.

I have an update and it is not a good one. All the cards except the Lemieux turned out to be fakes. Something just did not seem right with these. I have been collecting long enough to kind of know the "feel" of cards. I do not collect football but they just did seem right to me. That is why I had them checked out. They are now out of circulation so i guess something good did come out of this.

Oh that is a bummer. Are you sure these are not reprint cards and not actually fakes? I know a lot of card companies make reprints of the vintage cards.

Since the hobby has deteriorated so badly, I thought the era of faked cards and autos and searched or tampered packs and such was over. Sadly that does not seem to be the case.

What is really too bad is the best way to avoid faked cards is to buy larger lots and collections since everything cannot be reprinted and he chances of something being a fake is greatly reduced. But that is what you did at the auction and you still got burned. What a shame!!

Last edited:
I have an update and it is not a good one. All the cards except the Lemieux turned out to be fakes. Something just did not seem right with these. I have been collecting long enough to kind of know the "feel" of cards. I do not collect football but they just did seem right to me. That is why I had them checked out. They are now out of circulation so i guess something good did come out of this.

Oh that is a bummer. Are you sure these are not reprint cards and not actually fakes? I know a lot of card companies make reprints of the vintage cards.

Since the hobby has deteriorated so badly, I thought the era of faked cards and autos and searched or tampered packs and such was over. Sadly that does not seem to be the case.

What is really too bad is the best way to avoid faked cards is to buy larger lots and collections since everything cannot be reprinted and he chances of something being a fake is greatly reduced. But that is what you did at the auction and you still got burned. What a shame!!

Will echo the "that's a shame" sentiment, at least you got one legit auto out of it...

As for hobby deterioration -- card trimming, resealed retail packs, ebay scams -- all put a huge damper on the hobby. I guess if there is an easier way to make a buck, someone will try and do it.

Such a shame, sorry to hear the bad news. So much dishonesty out there, I'm sorry you were on the negative end of that.

Blessings,

Kevin