So...You want to be a player Super Collector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Let me know if I should even bother to submit something. I have been collecting Tino Martinez GU and Auto Cards. Thats really all I collect of him. But I have most of them and they are worth a lot of money. I just dont spend the time to collect his $0.10 cards because I want to focus on his Big Dollar cards. I might only have 40 of his GU and Autos but he doesnt have more them 70 out there. LMK what you guys think. Thanks

I was pretty hyped by this idea b/c I feel I am a supercollector. I do try to get anything I can of Edgerrin James including bobbleheads, SLU, McFarlanes, magazine covers, etc...I had no idea people would try to bash this b/c I saw it as something FUN and thats all it should be. Sometimes finding certain base cards is harder than finding that "rare #'d to 50 GU". Not too many people list base cards anywhere but it seems I have already seen 15 of the Edgerrin Ultimate Collection patches #'d out of 50 but can't find his 05 UD Portraits base card anywhere, thats part of the FUN, the hunt for the harder to find cards that shouldn't be. lol. Oh well I am still excited about the idea and can't wait to see what happens w/ it. I guess some people are mad already that they won't make the cut, instead of just trying to have fun w/ it.

You don't need to have deep pockets to make the cut. You just need to be serious about collecting your guy. This isn't a contest of whose collection is bigger. In my mind, someone can't make a case that they are a super collector when they need a ton of easy base card type hits but are actively trading for other things.

Mark

I haven't spent much at all. I haven't spent more than 30% of book value on any of the Edge cards I own. I have traded for or pulled the majority of them. Maybe its easier for me b/c Edge is only considered an unlisted star though.

You don't need to have deep pockets to make the cut. You just need to be serious about collecting your guy. This isn't a contest of whose collection is bigger. In my mind, someone can't make a case that they are a super collector when they need a ton of easy base card type hits but are actively trading for other things.

Mark

Very true, but I still think it has something to do with how much you are capable of spending. I understand where you are coming from on the base cards, but I think a lot of this is based on game used/autos/and other higher dollar items that the person may have of that player.

Ebay costs money, trades cost money, buying packs costs money, having trade bait costs money! It is only my opinion, but I think you are eliminating some truly great player collectors only because they don't have the financial resources to be considered a "Super Collector".

When I get a particularly rare or valuable card it would be nice to know who would really appreciate it and might bend over backwards to find out what I really want and not just have to pick over a trade list. I know everybody holds back their best stuff, as well they should, as many people would just gravitate to those items.

It'd sure be nice if I knew who the real Chipper Jones collector was for the $40 gu/26 I have for him, or the early $60 Jason Kidd parallel for the Kidd supercollector.

Although I will not qualify on this site because I havent done many trades(I've picked up the pace a little and have a few in the works) I consider myself a super collector and all I collect is cards. I believe you can be a super collector even if all you collect are cards. I recently won the player collectors contest on the beckett boards(21 and over) with this entry-auto's etc. Enjoy and I'll be entering as soon as I'm eligible.

Although I will not qualify on this site because I havent done many trades(I've picked up the pace a little and have a few in the works) I consider myself a super collector and all I collect is cards. I believe you can be a super collector even if all you collect are cards. I recently won the player collectors contest on the beckett boards(21 and over) with this entry-auto's etc. Enjoy and I'll be entering as soon as I'm eligible.

I don't think you will have any problem getting in as soon as you put in a little work around here. :D

Thanks
Craig

*Welcome by the way!

uhhhh...WOW. Thats about all I can say, that is an incredible collection of a very high $$ guy to collect. Congratulations on putting that collection together.

my thing with the main player i collect (Salmon) alot of his stuff
especially 1/1's print plates very seldom appear on ebay,and if
they do they normally sell for in the $40-$50 range,players like
Jeter/pujols and other high end players have 1,000 of cards on
ebay at countless times,which makes it easier for a person to
get there cards,being in the nw part of pennsylvania and pirates
and pirates everywhere,and trying to collect a player who plays
for a american league west team,i rarely attend shows well because
there really aren't any worth attending and ask a dealer do you have
any Tim Salmon cards available and they look at you with a who is
that ,i mostly like to trade for my Salmon collecting needs,although
i have bought probably 15% of what i have i purchased.i like to think
i am a super-collector because i have some hard to get parallels and
some off the wall stuff,and i am the only person on this site who
collects Salmon religiously:D

Yeah, wow. Awesome collection!
Tim

I support player collections of all sizes and meant only that I would like the opportunity to see what is coming in for consideration, that's it! I love looking at people's collections. I have several great sites featuring collections bookmarked!! It was not a dirty shot at those collections I feel are beneath mine. In fact, nobody really knows what my collection is like other than a few comments and a couple of random scans. I have not shared the collection in it's entirety to anyone. I don't announce my percentage owned in my signature. I don't keep a running count of what I have in general. I just know in my head for the most part if I need something, and sometimes I end up with dupes because I was WRONG!! Not that I mind a few dupes here and there. I don't proclaim my Steve Garvey collection to be the collection to beat all collections, nor am I concerned that I or anyone else will be crowned Super Collector of his items.

My original concern with this idea was that some people (maybe many more than I would have guessed, based on the feedback I am getting) will be disappointed with the decision and their collections will not quality based only on the qualifications stated even though they may have fantastic collections. I was not discounting personal collections, but rather the fact they were being judged by narrow guidelines. That' s all, not trying to stir the pot. Just wanted to share my opinion.

Maybe it wasn't the nicest thing yo say, but look what I was responding to:

He's getting ready to laugh at collections that simply don't measure up to his. I see that as a pretty arrogant comment and I don't think anyone has his back on that one.

I still don't know that we have defined Supercollector or if we are even trying too/need too.

Each collection is judged on it's own merit. It doesn't matter how hard it is to get certain card versus some other player collectors cards. It doesn't make ones collection more complete. What if I only collected Ty Cobb vintage stuff but only had the budget to purchase one $700 card? Can I get voted in at 1/160 just because I have a low budget or high competition for cards? No, of course not.

That is an exceptional collection. I am especially jealous of the 92 Elite Signature card, one I have wanted for a long time and have still not found at "my price". I have all of the other special Elite cards from that era (91-93) except Cal!

I assume you don't have a site to display those. Check this one out http://www.gracecollector.com/, as your collection would look superior displayed this way or in a similar fashion. I wish I had the technical "know how" to do one like it myself.

hey,good idea! now i just need 12 more trades to even be considered.I think this will defintetly give a big boost to the player collectors # of cards for their player. Anyone up for a trade?