So...You want to be a player Super Collector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I think I would easily have the Jose Canseco supercollector (1120/2615 recognized and over 400 that aren't) tag wrapped up but I don't have the trade qualifier just yet.. its hard when you only collect a player that nobody seems to have cards of..even when you need 12 years worth of them! I need the bench members to step up and help me finish out that qualifier and then I can put in my submission!!

I only have to get 10 more trades, 6 are already in the TM and 4 I need to complete.
I am guessing I'll be the only Chris Volstad Super Collector on these boards.

I think I would easily have the Jose Canseco supercollector (1120/2615 recognized and over 400 that aren't) tag wrapped up but I don't have the trade qualifier just yet.. its hard when you only collect a player that nobody seems to have cards of..even when you need 12 years worth of them! I need the bench members to step up and help me finish out that qualifier and then I can put in my submission!!

My wife "helped" me withmy annual donations and dropped off the wrong boxes. That means I still have the Canseco cards I listed for you, before. Let me know if you are still interested.

My wife "helped" me withmy annual donations and dropped off the wrong boxes. That means I still have the Canseco cards I listed for you, before. Let me know if you are still interested.

Women. I swear. :D

Had a similar experience. A guy on another site had been given 10 or 12 banker's boxes of cards, all mixed up, mostly the late 80's & early 90's trash, but there were gems hiding amongst the muck. He went through 2 of them and said "I give!" He offered up a box each to the first people that responded. I posted, and he set aside a box for me.

I then realized that he lived near a coworker of mine out in the Bay Area. I contacted my West Coast coworker and asked if he would stop by and pick them up and ship them to me through our company. He agreed. We arranged for him to meet the guy at his place on a Saturday.

My coworker went over on the Saturday and....my website friend had been called in to work. His wife answered, and said "Yeah, they're here..." and gave my coworker the SIX remaining boxes that he had set aside for others. Not knowing any better, he took all 6 and shipped them to me!

When the guy came home, he found my phone # and called me, and told me the story. I almost died laughing. He was, too; he didn't mind, he just told the others waiting what had happened. No one was upset. I got the 6 bankers boxes a few days later and spent an entire week at Christmas going through them all. I still have flashbacks from that. :eek:

With few exceptions, women + men's hobbies = recipe for disaster. :D

Would this happen to also be available for team collectors say like
PENN STATE
:D

I'd like to reopen this topic of discussion. Is it possible to be a team supercollector? I know there are some individuals on this site who have some team collections that rival some of our supercollector collections.

Of course, with a team collector, resources just aren't going to allow you to near completion of the entire 100% goal of player collectors. I think it's just as impressive when you are a team collector, and your team collection includes, to your knowledge, the most comprehensive individual collections of lesser known players to exist.

For example, I am almost certain my Auburn collection contains at least 15 collections of individual players that, standing alone, would be the best known to exist (Tommie Agee - complete run, Devin Aromashodu, Karsten Bailey, Tim Carter, Ronney Daniels, Karlos Dansby, Heath Evans, Ben Leard, Chris Martin, Jeris McIntyre, Walter Reeves, Gerald Robinson, Frank Sanders, Dontarrious Thomas, Ed West, and maybe some others). I know I'm not the only one on this site that this applies to.

Again, just throwing the idea out there.

Brandon

Two questions about becoming a Super Collector:

1) Do we get notified if we don't get accepted as a Super Collector?
2) If we do get notified, about how long does it take to get a response?

Two questions about becoming a Super Collector:

1) Do we get notified if we don't get accepted as a Super Collector?
2) If we do get notified, about how long does it take to get a response?

1--Yes
2--Depends on how long the voting takes, can be weeks sometimes if the vote is close and some Mods are not present.

I'd like to reopen this topic of discussion. Is it possible to be a team supercollector? I know there are some individuals on this site who have some team collections that rival some of our supercollector collections.

Of course, with a team collector, resources just aren't going to allow you to near completion of the entire 100% goal of player collectors. I think it's just as impressive when you are a team collector, and your team collection includes, to your knowledge, the most comprehensive individual collections of lesser known players to exist.

For example, I am almost certain my Auburn collection contains at least 15 collections of individual players that, standing alone, would be the best known to exist (Tommie Agee - complete run, Devin Aromashodu, Karsten Bailey, Tim Carter, Ronney Daniels, Karlos Dansby, Heath Evans, Ben Leard, Chris Martin, Jeris McIntyre, Walter Reeves, Gerald Robinson, Frank Sanders, Dontarrious Thomas, Ed West, and maybe some others). I know I'm not the only one on this site that this applies to.

Again, just throwing the idea out there.

Brandon

You do make some valid points. When this was brought up before there did not seem to be an overwhelming desire for it. there were only a small handfull of members interested in it. The other problem that we encountered was that there is absolute amount or benchmark number to compare against for a team collector. With player collectors there is alway Beckett to use a guideline. Even though this is a subjective category, having hard numbers and a % to go by help. Because of these items is why I included the Team Collector division in my annual The Bench Player/Collector contest. I will run the contest again this September. You can see from last years contest that only a few people were interested in this division.

Tim

This may have been addresses already in the previous 11+ pages, but can we submit more than one application at a time for different players (rather than submitting one, waiting for rejection, submitting another, etc)?

This may have been addresses already in the previous 11+ pages, but can we submit more than one application at a time for different players (rather than submitting one, waiting for rejection, submitting another, etc)?

Just one at a time please, that could really mess up the voting otherwise:)

Have you ever considered opening up the voting, say in poll format, to the general population (is that too much of a prison term?)? We only get to see the final results of qualifying collections and don't see the rejections or what those collections contain. I'm not saying the current voting team is not capable of making good selections, but considering the "badge" of supercollector is recognized site wide, wouldn't admission be that much more rewarding if it was recognized/determined by the site as a whole?

It's kinda like the HOF now. There are long running arguments about who deserves it and who doesn't, but the bottom line is if the writers or vet committee doesn't vote you in, you don't make it! That is the same here. If the mod team doesn't think you cut the mustard, you go back to the drawing board. Maybe the general membership here is more strict than the current selection committee, maybe it's more accepting? Who knows. It almost feels a little too sterile or formal the way it is now. Card collecting is supposed to be about fun!

Have you ever considered opening up the voting, say in poll format, to the general population (is that too much of a prison term?)? We only get to see the final results of qualifying collections and don't see the rejections or what those collections contain. I'm not saying the current voting team is not capable of making good selections, but considering the "badge" of supercollector is recognized site wide, wouldn't admission be that much more rewarding if it was recognized/determined by the site as a whole?

It's kinda like the HOF now. There are long running arguments about who deserves it and who doesn't, but the bottom line is if the writers or vet committee doesn't vote you in, you don't make it! That is the same here. If the mod team doesn't think you cut the mustard, you go back to the drawing board. Maybe the general membership here is more strict than the current selection committee, maybe it's more accepting? Who knows. It almost feels a little too sterile or formal the way it is now. Card collecting is supposed to be about fun!

I think the current system works well. I imagine that most applicants are rejected, and I think such rejections are best done from behind the scenes. Also, a smaller committee will tend to be more consistent.

But I hope the Bench awards are on for this year. I enjoyed voting for those last year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how people have improved their collections.

I think the current system works well. I imagine that most applicants are rejected, and I think such rejections are best done from behind the scenes. Also, a smaller committee will tend to be more consistent.

But I hope the Bench awards are on for this year. I enjoyed voting for those last year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how people have improved their collections.

I think the current system works well also. I think that if we opened it up to everyone to vote, the title would be given away too freely. I feel like the mod team has seen so many collections and applications, that they REALLY know what it takes to give the title out. If too many people got the title, it wouldn't be as meaningful.

And no, I'm not just saying that because I recently got the super collector title. I felt the same way through my 3 previous applications and rejections before I finally got it.