Fox News Report on Card Trading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

That report did not sound like it was written by a veteran journalist. The wording seemed more like that of an intern or new hire doing their first print job. As for the point of the article, it sounds like they just went into the first card shop they saw and used that impression to make a judgement on the hobby in general. Like others have said, it is not fair to base the hobby today against what it was in the 90s. Heck, it's not fair to base much of anything today against what it was in the 90s. Also, they quoted some cards shop owner as saying that a company didn't market their nostalgic brand very well. I'm assuming it is Allen and Ginter that the article writer mentions. Not marketed well?? I doubt you could find one single collector who doesn't know about A&G.

One of the points I tend to agree with is the fact that younger collectors are not as interested in cards as they used to be. My son will be 7 in december so maybe he is too young as of now but he seems to have absolutely no interest in baseball cards. he loves his pokemon cards though. I posted another reply a while back on here about showing my kids my Yaz rookie that I picked up for my 1960 Topps set. My kids wanted me to sell it and take the money to Game Stop and buy them some games. Children have a million more things to do today than I did when I was a kid. That is just life.

Well I've been collecting since the 70's and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. 20 years from now, who knows. My oldest son (8 years old) built his first Topps baseball set this year, with my help, and I think he will continue to do so as he grows older. Hopefully my youngest son (18 months) will have some interest when he gets to a certain age as well. So I say that report/prediction is false.

Last edited:
yeah...when my kids get old enough I'm starting them out on the Atari and moving forward with the video games lol...they will learn to appreciate the history of the games....then I am going to be very strict on the amount of time they are allowed to play video games and spend online...I'm going to try my best to take them to games and get them in to baseball cards and football as well...heck even hockey...anything that will get them outside and playing and being active...my 2 year old already knows who Bradshaw is and what Football and Baseball are when he sees it on TV...lol...he watched most of the Cowboys game with me Monday night until he fell asleep lol....and he's always trying to get in to my cards...so...hoping that it continues.

I busted my first pack in 1971 and there's nothing like busting a few packs of the newest product as soon as it hits the shelves.

To the point of kids being into cards, I can only speak from my personal experience that my kid loves baseball cards. Well, technically she loves basketball and football cards and doesn't really like baseball cards that much. She has a pretty good Peyton Manning collection, and has several complete basketball insert sets. So I don't think that the children of today are just going to totally forget about collecting, I think that they just have a ton of different things to do with their time.