PSA questions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbinge

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5922&universeid=314

They are having the $10 auto slab deal again for Nov and I'm thinking about sending in a few...but, have a question...when they say this:

"Any autograph cut or card sent in with a declared value of $250 or less is now only $10."

what exactly is the declared value? is that the fee they charge? Like...Jordan is $100 so would that be covered? I'm confused as to what the "declared value" is exactly?

I know there are a few people here who use this service when it goes on sale like this and I have a few I'd like to send in....any help/advice appreciated.

I believe the form you send in with the cards has a column for declared value. If you declare the value of the card is under $250 your good to go. I hope this answers your question.

The declared value is also for insurance purposes. When they ship the cards back to you, they insure the package for the total declared value. As a result, if you over declare your cards' value, you may overpay on insurance.

I think they want you to use their price guide when assessing the value:

http://www.psacard.com/login.chtml?universeid=314&lmsg=&lgoto=http://www.psacard.com/smr/index.chtml

Obviously, they charge more if the card is worth more.

One potential problem you may have is if a card gets a higher grade than you thought it would. For example, a card at PSA 8 is worth $100, but at PSA 9, it is worth $300. I think they usually charge you the difference in service when that happens.

Mark

The declared value is also for insurance purposes. When they ship the cards back to you, they insure the package for the total declared value. As a result, if you over declare your cards' value, you may overpay on insurance.

I think they want you to use their price guide when assessing the value:

http://www.psacard.com/login.chtml?universeid=314&lmsg=&lgoto=http://www.psacard.com/smr/index.chtml

Obviously, they charge more if the card is worth more.

One potential problem you may have is if a card gets a higher grade than you thought it would. For example, a card at PSA 8 is worth $100, but at PSA 9, it is worth $300. I think they usually charge you the difference in service when that happens.

Mark

looks like you have to subscribe to the price guide...

it says the $10 deal is open to anyone and doesn't require a membership...so I'm guessing it is just whatever you declare the value as....also they don't require a grading and this is just auto authentication and slabbing for $10...the grading is $5 extra...so just must be whatever you declare the value as?

I sent them an email asking for a few specifics and the size limitations if there are any...i'll post up what i find out as soon as i hear back! Seems like a pretty good deal...was thinking about getting my 08 Spectrum of Stars set slabbed for long term storage....and I have a couple of other IP's I'd like to get authenticated and slabbed...Jordan and Obama are two of them.

FYI,
I just called PSA and their rep was very nice. I have an auto in a book in would like authenticated and they said they will do that through their psadna.com site. It's not $15 though, more like $50. So even if you have items that are not flats or non-sport people, PSA/DNA will authenticate the items.

Thanks for this thread, I have a few autos I want to have authenticated too (vlad, hoyt wilhem, maddux).

Here are my questions and the reply from PSA regarding this $10 promo for November...I am for sure going to send in a few cards on this deal:

ME:
Hi...

I am considering sending in some in person and certified autographs to
get encapsuled for the $10 special you are running in November.

I have a couple of questions...

Can you send in signed index cards?

What exactly is the "declared value"? Do I set this or do you guys
have a list? I really have no idea what value most of my stuff has, I
collect autos in person and I don't really buy or sell them...so a bit
confused on this aspect of the rules.

Are thick cards allowed? I have a couple of certified autos that are
on "game used" type cards that are thicker than a regular
card....would like to get them encapsuled for long term safe keeping
but not sure if these can be slabbed or not since they are thicker
than a regular card?

Are there any size limitations? I have one 4x6 photo that I would like
to get encapsulated.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions...

PSA RESPONSE:

Hi,
Yes, index cards are perfect for this special.

The Declared Value is the amount the item will be insured for. You determine this and list it on the submission form when you send it in. Because our liability is more, we charge more for higher valued items. eBay is a good resource for checking values. There is also a subscription-based price guide for sports autographs at: http://www.psacard.com/smr/.

Thick memorabilia cards are eligible for our service and are encapsulated in larger holders. Thick cards cannot exceed 2-11/16" x 3-13/16" to fit in our holds. Normal thin items can fit in our larger sized holders as follows:

Standard - 2 11/16" x 3 13/16"
Tall Boy - 3 1/2" x 5 1/ 6"
Supersized (Ticket) - 3 5/8" x 7 1/2"
Supersized (Check) - 4 1/4" x 10"
T3 Holder - 5 3/4" x 8"

Your 4x6 photo would be placed either in our check holder or T3 holder.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Laura Rosenberg
Customer Service
Professional Sports Authenticator
(800) 325-1121

ME:
Hi Laura.

Thanks for answering my questions. So all of the items and sizes listed in your email are eligible for this $10 special correct?

PSA RESPONSE:

Yes, all the sizes are eligible

So...after re-reading this, I have a question for you guys, at the bottom is says this "Declared values are subject to change and customer notification before processing the order." so does that mean if I send in a Jordan or Obama IP sig they will change the declared value to above $250 and try to charge me more?

November PSA/DNA Autograph Encapsulation Special

- November 1, 2009
Any autograph cut or card sent in with a declared value of $250 or less is now only $10. You get the autograph authenticated and encapsulated in PSA's tamper evident holder for only $10. If you want the autograph graded to join the popular PSA/DNA Set Registry, it is only an additional $5. (Please note: this is for the autograph only; cards will not be authenticated or graded)

Be sure that your submissions are postmarked by November 30th, 2009. There is no maximum quantity, submit as many autographs as you want!!

No PSA Collectors Club membership required!

This special is valid for Sport and Non-Sport autographs.

Please click here to go to the PSA/DNA authentication fee schedule.

Mark your submission form PSA/DNA Encapsulation Special to take advantage of this offer. Please indicate on the submission form items that you want the autograph graded.

Here's what you need to do:

•Fill out a PSA/DNA submission form
•Write PSA/DNA Encapsulation Special on the top of the form.
•Click here to print out a PSA/DNA submission form.
•Send your items with a check or credit card number to PSA/DNA using the shipping instructions on the submission form.
If you have any questions on this special please contact our customer service department at (800) 325-1121 or by email at [email protected]

Turnaround time varies with demand.

Your order must be postmarked between November 1st and November 30, 2009 so act now!

Declared values are subject to change and customer notification before processing the order.