Best laugh I've had in a while!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Man, that was funny...............The dude negotiating the prices was right on the money..................I think he gets a kick out of telling them that there stuff is sh*t and see what they do.....................He should do like a you tube thing out of it. Making them cry in front of their kids, burning the '90's commons in the driveway..................He would enjoy that, it seems................Priceless...................Mike

I actually don't find it very funny. While some of the people are jerks looking to scam other people, some people just don't know what they've got. It's the same with eBay sellers wanting $500 for a 1986 Donruss Bob Stanley ... they only know it's almost 25 years old and assume it must be worth something.

I read through these before... thought they were funny until the guy started slamming some of the sellers who may or may not have been trying to rip people off.
The real star of those is the video he posts a link to, although he goes to that well a few too many times.
Good way to kill a few minutes.
-Casey

I didn't read them all, but there was not one I did read that was not someone either trying to rip someone off or was SO CLUELESS that they became excessively defensive and hostile towards the guy, again this is assuming the transcripts are accurate.

Again, this has happened to me when I try to help people out who have overpriced things, to the point where they are calling me names or calling me a liar! Who does that???

People who don't know any better should take the help and move on. When they get nasty, I can pretty much assume they are not in the clueless category or deserve the ribbing anyways.

I also got a laugh, but they do get repetitive very quickly. This type of thing is sometimes called "scam baiting". If you do a google search on it, you can find some other much more amusing sites. My favorite is this guy:

http://www.419eater.com/

He specializes in people running 419 bank advance fraud schemes. He tries to redirect their efforts to do things he wants them to do. These things include taking embarrassing pictures, creating and sending him art, making recordings of people reading manuscripts and getting tattoos. He even got one guy to fly to London to meet him. It also gets repetitive, but there is some really funny stuff as he yanks these people around.

Mark

I didn't read them all, but there was not one I did read that was not someone either trying to rip someone off or was SO CLUELESS that they became excessively defensive and hostile towards the guy, again this is assuming the transcripts are accurate.

Again, this has happened to me when I try to help people out who have overpriced things, to the point where they are calling me names or calling me a liar! Who does that???

People who don't know any better should take the help and move on. When they get nasty, I can pretty much assume they are not in the clueless category or deserve the ribbing anyways.

Too many people read too many stories of amazing finds at flea markets, garage sales, newspaper ads, etc. Everybody is afraid they'll flip through the channel one day, see the guy they sold their collection to on the 'antiques roadshow' just in time to catch the crawl at the bottom: 'vintage baseball cards, $20 craigslist sale, est value:$1500-2000'

People get defensive all the time, because too often the people trying to 'help' the seller ONLY do so if they are overpriced. If they were selling a NrMT 61T Mantle for $20, the buyer wouldn't very helpful, they'd hand them the $20, run back here and brag about the 'steal of the century'.

There is probably some truth to that, but I personally have helped people who have underpriced things or had poor descriptions of items that are worth something decent.

Too many people read too many stories of amazing finds at flea markets, garage sales, newspaper ads, etc. Everybody is afraid they'll flip through the channel one day, see the guy they sold their collection to on the 'antiques roadshow' just in time to catch the crawl at the bottom: 'vintage baseball cards, $20 craigslist sale, est value:$1500-2000'

People get defensive all the time, because too often the people trying to 'help' the seller ONLY do so if they are overpriced. If they were selling a NrMT 61T Mantle for $20, the buyer wouldn't very helpful, they'd hand them the $20, run back here and brag about the 'steal of the century'.

a few were funny and a few others its just the guy emailing people to mess with them just to have a witty blog for his site, I mean yeah you never just say you will buy something for the price they ask for on craigslist unless you find an autographed Cal Ripken Jr book for $10 :D but seriously when someone says the price is firm in the ad, then tells you in email that the price is firm and they aren't intrested in your offer why does he need to go on and berate the people? Just another guy with to much time on his hands in my opinion

There is probably some truth to that, but I personally have helped people who have underpriced things or had poor descriptions of items that are worth something decent.

I have no doubt you have. You are one of the good guys in this hobby. What makes it even harder to educate some sellers is when they DID do their homework back in the day, but have not kept up with the wild ride that our hobby has been on. Tough to explain that yes, that 1990 Leaf set was $200+ at one time, and that 1989 UD set was $150+, but even though Griffey has 600+HR and Thomas has 500+, those are in today's market $25-40 sets. I get a kick out of picking up some of the 'investment' books/newsletters about sports cards from the 1986-1992 era. At the time it seemed like well thought out, decent advice, but today I use a copy of '101 Sports Card Investments: Best Buys from $5 to $500' to see how cheap I can put together most of their recommended 'buys'. Being in Minnesota, I get a chuckle out of #17 on their baseball list advising if you can't afford the $400 1984 Fleer Update Puckett rookie, the $50 1985 Donruss Puckett has to be considered a bargain. Tough explaining to people caught up in the 1987 and 91 World Series hysteria that those $50 rookies they bought 20 years ago are $5 cards even though he got elected to the HOF, died, and had not been touched by the PED scandals.

The biggest reason I believe most of these people are scammers is how they react to the poster. Someone who really doesn't know is going to thank you politely for your opinion and move on. Those type of people don't keep rolling with the conversation, allowing themselves to get baited and worked up over it. People with something to hide get fired up and defensive!

One of the things I did to help a seller once was I spotted a team signed Dodgers ball on ebay. The person had listed a few of the signatures, maybe 5-6 and the ball had maybe 20-25 sigs!! I gave them a complete list of the signatures on the ball including Jim Gilliam, which would have made the difference in the amount of the final bid to those in the know. Not sure how much of a difference it made, but the ball sold pretty well and I was even a bidder on it.

However, the difference between someone scoring a $10 Ted Williams auto at a flea market or show and ebay is that the fixed price seller at the market has set their price already. They set the price, not me! I can't really see any way to help that person out except to say something like "Did you realize that a Ted WIlliams autograph should sell in the three figure range and that your $10 price is a steal". I have informed sellers that their autographs were of recently deceased players. I have informed a seller that his $20 Koufax auto card was probably underpriced (it was priced years ago and was lost in the stack and never re-priced) and a number of other things. However, I must admit that most of those helpful moments came when I had no interest in that particular item. I have made my share of "steal of a deal" buys at shops and shows where I probably took advantage of a mis-priced item or unknowing seller too.

On ebay though, the price will reflect the bidding and that bidding relies on a solid and accurate description of the product. You describe an item poorly or inaccurately and you will probably be selling at a reduced market rate. You can't blame a buyer for jumping on those deals, or even snapping up a mistakenly low BIN item. You have numerous chances to proof your listing before it goes live!

While you were brutal in your baiting of some of the CI, my wife and I got quite few laughs reading these.