Today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H

houbb

Don Baylor 2/2 3 weeks (1974 & 1986 Topps)
c/o Diamondback ST

I loved watching this guy play. Smart player and hitter. Not a surprise he became a pretty good major league manager, as well. I still don't know why someone hasn't even interviewed him for a manager's gig, especially with all the turnover in those jobs over the winter. The guy deserves another shot.

great return..Baylor really gets lost in the shuffle for what a long,productive career he had..Many just think of a big, burly guy that got a ton of HBPs but he did steal at least 20 bags for 7 straight yrs including 52 sbs in '76!! While I think Fred Lynn was probably the MVP of that '79 yr, Baylor no doubt had a great season and helped lead the Angels to the West crown..(Funny that Boston at 91-69 finished third in the east while California won the West at 88-74)...
Congrats..I am a big Baylor fan(he grew up in Austin) 2100+hits 325+HR 275+SB..nothing to gloss over. And a heck of a TTM'er :)

great return..Baylor really gets lost in the shuffle for what a long,productive career he had..Many just think of a big, burly guy that got a ton of HBPs but he did steal at least 20 bags for 7 straight yrs including 52 sbs in '76!! While I think Fred Lynn was probably the MVP of that '79 yr, Baylor no doubt had a great season and helped lead the Angels to the West crown..(Funny that Boston at 91-69 finished third in the east while California won the West at 88-74)...
Congrats..I am a big Baylor fan(he grew up in Austin) 2100+hits 325+HR 275+SB..nothing to gloss over. And a heck of a TTM'er :)

I thought the same thing about Lynn, but Baylor had a very impressive season. The Angels had been looking for a big productive hitter in the middle of the order since they sent Frank Robinson to the Indians in '74. In '79, Baylor was quite simply a beast in the middle of that order. He really was the big difference maker in their line up, so I can see why he got the MVP nod. That really must have been a tough vote that year. Both Baylor and Lynn were well liked by reporters and baseball writers.

Yes, it's true! Baylor did have wheels. When he went to Oakland in '76, Chuck Tanner made just about everyone steal. They knew they were going to have to manufacture runs, and make things happen. If two men got on base, you just knew Chuck was going to pull a double steal. Even Sal Bando joined in with 20 steals. It drove AL catchers batty.