*UPDATE in 2nd POST* Quite possibly the greatest auction I have ever won....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Authorities? In my very sad instances, they brush off such "minor" things. Which sucks for the hobby.

Considering contacting the authorities ?

Nah. The facsimiles have an "old" look to them - as they should. I truly believe they are from something such as a book of reproductions of famous baseball artifacts (or something of the sort). The seller said these were autographs, but never stated Ott and Foxx - which were the "gems" in this lot. I have requested for my money to be refunded after the index cards are returned. I DO NOT, however, believe that the seller is unsuspecting of anything. Failing to mention that the top autos are facsimile, coupled with leaving out the Foxx and Ott, leads me to think they let the scan to the talking - which ran the auction up. I guess I should have just backed away, but I would have always wondered "What if?" I mean, if the seller can tell what WILLIE MAYS' autograph looks like, how the heck can't they read Jimmie Foxx and Mel Ott - which are perfectly legible? Again, it was just something I had to take a chance on. SWING AND A MISS.

Tim

Tim,
First I want to say, sorry the autos ended up being facsimiles. It would have been an amazing buy.

Just want to tell you there's no need for you to apologize to us...this was not a waste of time. #1...we're all along for the ride with each other. When someone makes a great find we all feel like we "made that find" with you. I was hoping you scored a big one.
#2, even when it doesn't work out, it's important information for all of us. Looks like you just took one for the team. Here's hoping you get a full refund. Please keep us posted.

Tim,
First I want to say, sorry the autos ended up being facsimiles. It would have been an amazing buy.

Just want to tell you there's no need for you to apologize to us...this was not a waste of time. #1...we're all along for the ride with each other. When someone makes a great find we all feel like we "made that find" with you. I was hoping you scored a big one.
#2, even when it doesn't work out, it's important information for all of us. Looks like you just took one for the team. Here's hoping you get a full refund. Please keep us posted.

Yea Tim I totally agree. This is a sad state of collecting when they hand out fakes, but i for one am learning a whole heck of a lot from all ya'all. sad that i also learn from your errors too. but i am sure that it will all work out for ya too.

dave

Very sorry to hear about that. I was hoping you had a big find. Were they all Facsimiles or did any of them appear to be actual auto's?

No harm no foul...and you should get your money back - hopefully you opened the case with ebay versus dealing with the seller only!

Tim,

Yea Tim I totally agree. This is a sad state of collecting when they hand out fakes, but i for one am learning a whole heck of a lot from all ya'all. sad that i also learn from your errors too. but i am sure that it will all work out for ya too.

dave

Very sorry to hear about that. I was hoping you had a big find. Were they all Facsimiles or did any of them appear to be actual auto's?

No, some were actual autographs, and I do believe them to be real (especially Buck Leonard, Luke Appling, Joe Black, Chuck Connors, among some others). Even if they were real, no way would I have paid $200 for just the ones that are autographed. I was expecting Mays, Aaron, Dickey, and Gomez to be real also, and I was taking a chance on the Foxx/Ott.

Sorry, Tim! Best regards, David

Thanks, David....

No harm no foul...and you should get your money back - hopefully you opened the case with ebay versus dealing with the seller only!

I sent an immediate email to the seller, but I didn't hear anything back in a few hours. I went ahead and filed, and I STILL have not heard anything back. He/She may be on vacation, but I'm guessing they are avoiding me.

Tim

Dang, I read your original post and was hoping for a happy update. Well, you can easily get your money back through Paypal so you'll just be out the shipping. Maybe next time!

That's a shame. I'm not entirely clear, but doesn't eBay have some kind of requirement to provide assurances that items are indeed autographs if presented as such?

I contacted the seller to give them the opportunity to make it right. Email was opened but was not answered for almost 24 hours, so I went ahead and filed a claim with Paypal. After a day of yet another non-response, I escalated the claim. Paypal ruled in my favor and pulled the money out of their account. Then, and only then, did I receive an email from the seller asking what the problem with the lot was. I did not respond to avoid confrontation. I mailed the index cards back and the refund was granted when the tracking number checked out. I have not heard from the seller since.

That's a shame. I'm not entirely clear, but doesn't eBay have some kind of requirement to provide assurances that items are indeed autographs if presented as such?

Probably so. As stated above, I was awarded the money back, so I am happy. I had MUCH rather have Ott and Foxx Autos (the others weren't shabby either if legit) for $197, but it was not meant to be.

Tim

No response until someone feels "threatened" in some way is one of my HUGE pet peeves ! It shows complete disregard and disrespect for the other person. Glad you got your money back and it was good to see you left the seller a neg. I hope you left them all 1's for dsr's too. That hurts a seller worse than the fb rating.