Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: *UPDATE in 2nd POST* Quite possibly the greatest auction I have ever won....

Based on the comment about the unlisted Jordan that came back as fake, I would be concerned. The seller could be dropping fake items into scans with real items with the hopes that people see them, think they are real and bid high enough to make it worth while to the seller. It is especially odd that those two names were left off completely, when he even named a few incorrectly. Why would he not mention those two in some form or another and those just happen to potentially be the most valuable? Stranger things have happened though, as it has been proven that people list items w/o doing much homework if any.

As small as the pictures are, the autographs do look very similar to known examples. You may have just gotten extremely lucky.
    WANTS
    (1) Steve Garvey items (2)Topps All-Rookie Team Autos

BLOG
    http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up

Tim,
    I believe you may have just secured the deal of the decade. Based on the seller's current and past auction listings he/she obviously has no idea when it comes to placing values on collectibles in the sports arena.

Keep us updated.
    Bob Torba, Jr. - Bench HOF Member #8
    Facebook profile | Twitter: @bobtorba7

Quote Originally Posted by Meliah View Post
    After I pay off a couple of recent purchases I was going to commission you to make me a Negro League piece. Don't go making anything cool like that or I will have to buy that as well!
    The more I think about something like that with the Negro league stuff, the more excited I get. When you get ready, let me know. I'll share an idea I have....we'll see if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Based on the comment about the unlisted Jordan that came back as fake, I would be concerned. The seller could be dropping fake items into scans with real items with the hopes that people see them, think they are real and bid high enough to make it worth while to the seller. It is especially odd that those two names were left off completely, when he even named a few incorrectly. Why would he not mention those two in some form or another and those just happen to potentially be the most valuable? Stranger things have happened though, as it has been proven that people list items w/o doing much homework if any.

As small as the pictures are, the autographs do look very similar to known examples. You may have just gotten extremely lucky.
    You are echoing my thoughts exactly (especially with the Jordan concerns). For less than $200, I feel it was worth the gamble. At worst, I am hoping that some of the better autos like Mays, Aaron, Dickey, and Gomez are real. Although it will still be overpaying, that would at least take some of the sting out of it if the big boys aren't true. Here's to hoping the guy just doesn't have any idea how to research/list/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeBob63 View Post
    Tim,
    I believe you may have just secured the deal of the decade. Based on the seller's current and past auction listings he/she obviously has no idea when it comes to placing values on collectibles in the sports arena.

Keep us updated.
    I certainly hope you are right. I'll send you a free drink voucher if they turn out to be real.

Tim

From what I can see the Leonard looks good as well as the Irvin.
    BSL owner of the Detroit Tigers.

Creepy, unusual or scary thread

That sucks man..... I was hoping that they were real.

jason
    I collect vintage baseball cards and Autos. I have many autos on unique items. Please check them out.

WANTS: Topps Sterling & Topps Tribute
    1948 Bowman: #'s 3,5,6,7,8,13,15,16,18,19,20,24,28,30,34, 37,40,41,45,46,47
    1954 NY Journal:Antonelli,Berra,Collins,Ford,Fur illo,Labine,Lopat,Mays,Meyer,Miller,Morg an,Noren,Reynolds,Robinson,Thompson, Williams

Considering contacting the authorities ?
    Ripken wants:
    01 Leaf R&S Statistical Standouts gu on deck circle - Any besides solid white
    05 UD BB Heroes jsys bronze #11, emerald 11 & 14
    06 UD Epic Materials jerseys, dark green CR2, grey CR1 & 3, gold CR2

Just started the 1964 Topps baseball set. Only have Mantle and 30+ commons. Will trade just about anything I have so lmk what you have/need. Looking for exmt or better

Authorities? In my very sad instances, they brush off such "minor" things. Which sucks for the hobby.
    Thank you for your time, Greg L. Holland
    For the love of God, PLEASE DO NOT PUT TAPE OVER TOPLOADERS THINKING IT SECURES CARDS!
    NOT TRADING AT THIS TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by mintman2 View Post
    Considering contacting the authorities ?
    Nah. The facsimiles have an "old" look to them - as they should. I truly believe they are from something such as a book of reproductions of famous baseball artifacts (or something of the sort). The seller said these were autographs, but never stated Ott and Foxx - which were the "gems" in this lot. I have requested for my money to be refunded after the index cards are returned. I DO NOT, however, believe that the seller is unsuspecting of anything. Failing to mention that the top autos are facsimile, coupled with leaving out the Foxx and Ott, leads me to think they let the scan to the talking - which ran the auction up. I guess I should have just backed away, but I would have always wondered "What if?" I mean, if the seller can tell what WILLIE MAYS' autograph looks like, how the heck can't they read Jimmie Foxx and Mel Ott - which are perfectly legible? Again, it was just something I had to take a chance on. SWING AND A MISS.

Tim

Tim,
    First I want to say, sorry the autos ended up being facsimiles. It would have been an amazing buy.

Just want to tell you there's no need for you to apologize to us...this was not a waste of time. #1...we're all along for the ride with each other. When someone makes a great find we all feel like we "made that find" with you. I was hoping you scored a big one.
    #2, even when it doesn't work out, it's important information for all of us. Looks like you just took one for the team. Here's hoping you get a full refund. Please keep us posted.
    I use Paypal, but not Paypal "gift" to purchase goods.

I collect:
    Corey Patterson
    Tony Gonzalez TE (K.C. Chiefs, Falcons)

Allen & Ginter non-sport minis (2009-2011)

Q R L K Y G W J Y M J E B R B R W Q W Q T U F J E Y B<

10. oldmarine0311
    Quote Originally Posted by otgoal View Post
    Tim,
    First I want to say, sorry the autos ended up being facsimiles. It would have been an amazing buy.

Just want to tell you there's no need for you to apologize to us...this was not a waste of time. #1...we're all along for the ride with each other. When someone makes a great find we all feel like we "made that find" with you. I was hoping you scored a big one.
    #2, even when it doesn't work out, it's important information for all of us. Looks like you just took one for the team. Here's hoping you get a full refund. Please keep us posted.
    Yea Tim I totally agree. This is a sad state of collecting when they hand out fakes, but i for one am learning a whole heck of a lot from all ya'all. sad that i also learn from your errors too. but i am sure that it will all work out for ya too.

dave

Very sorry to hear about that. I was hoping you had a big find. Were they all Facsimiles or did any of them appear to be actual auto's?
    My List http://www.sportscardforum.com/scf/i...etallica-rocks
    My Set Needs http://www.sportscardforum.com/showt...62#post5964762
    Need Penny Sleeves and Top Loaders

Sorry If I can't get to the Post Office right away, I can't drive yet so I have to walk to the P.O.

Sorry, Tim! Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Next Sat contest is April 18 and its for Tony Gwynn 2005 UD Heroes green 33/99 auto!

No harm no foul...and you should get your money back - hopefully you opened the case with ebay versus dealing with the seller only!
    Mark Brunell Wantlist

Visit my Mark Brunell website: Ultimate Mark Brunell Collection- THE MOST COMPLETE & COMPREHENSIVE single player collection in the world with 238 1/1s & 96.4% of 3,379 known cards. You be the judge!

Quote Originally Posted by otgoal View Post
    Tim,

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine0311 View Post
    Yea Tim I totally agree. This is a sad state of collecting when they hand out fakes, but i for one am learning a whole heck of a lot from all ya'all. sad that i also learn from your errors too. but i am sure that it will all work out for ya too.

dave
    Quote Originally Posted by metallica rocks View Post
    Very sorry to hear about that. I was hoping you had a big find. Were they all Facsimiles or did any of them appear to be actual auto's?
    No, some were actual autographs, and I do believe them to be real (especially Buck Leonard, Luke Appling, Joe Black, Chuck Connors, among some others). Even if they were real, no way would I have paid $200 for just the ones that are autographed. I was expecting Mays, Aaron, Dickey, and Gomez to be real also, and I was taking a chance on the Foxx/Ott.

Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    Sorry, Tim! Best regards, David
    Thanks, David....

Quote Originally Posted by jaderock View Post
    No harm no foul...and you should get your money back - hopefully you opened the case with ebay versus dealing with the seller only!
    I sent an immediate email to the seller, but I didn't hear anything back in a few hours. I went ahead and filed, and I STILL have not heard anything back. He/She may be on vacation, but I'm guessing they are avoiding me.

Tim