*UPDATE in 2nd POST* Quite possibly the greatest auction I have ever won....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Carroll

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE LEGIT.

*LONG READ*

I have not received the package yet, so further examination will have to be done once it arrives. I rarely gamble, but in this instance, I HAD TO! Here's the story:

I have no idea why I was even looking at this auction. Judging from the seller's prior auctions, feedback, and website, it appears that they are a consignment company that sells off estates and collectibles. In what appears to be an influx of autographed items, the company was selling things such as Tiger Woods autographed Master's memorabilia, large lots of older signed baseball/football cards, autographed books, and known-to-be-authentic ***** League items. They have also recently sold some baseball/football cards (non Autographed). The lots of cards were very random, non-themed, and looked like they may have come from a former card shop or large collection. They included everything from rookie cards to common star base cards. Years varied from the late 60's to the late 90's. Now, the seller got hit with a couple of negatives - once for a jewelry auction (buyer just said it was a horrible experience without elaborating), and once because a Michael Jordan rookie that was pictured in the lot turned out to be a reprint or fake (the seller's description didn't even list the card, let alone state it was real). That Jordan instance could be taken in two ways: 1) the seller has no clue what he/she is really selling; or 2) the seller is smart enough to picture the Jordan in the auction without mentioning it in the description with hopes that some buyers run the auction up. I certainly hope #2 is not the case, because it may apply to my auction.

And then there was the auction that caught my eye. It was a lot of Index cards, all single-signed by former baseball players. Here is the item description from the seller:

Screenshot2011-06-22at53444PM.png

Now, only 22 players are named. There are actually 27 cards pictured. I emailed the seller and asked if the auction included ALL 27 cards, or if it was only for the 22 listed. The seller stated that it was for all 27 pictured.

Here is the 2nd of 2 pictures from the auction:

Screenshot2011-06-22at53433PM.png

In the above picture, I can clearly see what appears to be the autographs of(left column first, then 2nd, etc.):

Al Lopez
Bob Turley
Charlie Gehringer
Mickey Owen
*UNKNOWN* Can't make it out
Mrs. John McGraw
Rick Ferrell
Al Barlick
Spec Shea
Bill Dickey
Jim "Catfish" Hunter
Carlton Willey
Joe Black
Lefty Gomez

Here is the 1st picture:

Screenshot2011-06-22at53423PM.png

In the above picture, I can clearly see (left column first, then 2nd, etc.):

Willie Mays
Buck Leonard
Monte Irvin
Chuck Connors
Hank Aaron
Ernie Banks
Bowie Kuhn
Shag Crawford
JIMMIE FOXX :eek:
MEL OTT :eek:

Tom Kite
Luke Appling
Luke Appling

Needless to say, if they are indeed real, I will be on walking on air for awhile. I do have reason to be skeptical, and I do not put full faith in 3rd party authenticators (especially when PSA wants to charge me $100 EACH to authenticate Foxx and Ott). I really do not know how I am going to ever be 100% certain of their authenticity, but

I will update this thread in the 2nd post with some serious scans of the autos when they arrive. Until then, I am just going to PRAY they show up, and cross my fingers that they are legit.

By the way, I waited until the last second to throw in my proxy bid. Evidently, the high bidder also had an idea of what might be in the lot. I took a larger gamble than he. The final bid was just over $197.

Thanks for the long read!

Tim

Last edited:
No need for scans, you will not be able to see what I see in scans. All I need to say is:

NOT REAL.

The key autographs in the lot are FACSIMILE. Included in the facsimiles are: Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Lefty Gomez, Jimmy Foxx, Mel Ott, Bill Dickey, and Ernie Banks. The Foxx, Ott, Gomez, and Dickey all appear like they may have come out of some sort of book - one of those books that show historical documents, etc. that are related to baseball (you know, like the ones that have replicas of the Wagner RC's and copies of player contracts, etc.). The stock they are printed on are much thicker than a standard index card and have raised ink.

So, that's that. I am going to see what kind of resolution I can get. I knew I was taking a chance on Foxx and Ott, but I paid believing that I was taking a chance on forgery - not replicas.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's tie with this thread. Let this be chalked up to another case of: if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Tim

Last edited:
How bad was the listing because if that was the description (Mays, Aaron, etc'), it would/should've gotten more interest. Then again he could be clueless.

Regardless, you're not out anything since you are covered by buyer protection.

If it's real, congrats - it's a real big time score! If not, you will eventually get your money back.

When they come in scan the ***** League ones and I will be able to tell you if they are real or not. I'm not a professional but I have spent a lot of time studying those types of autographs:)

Also, if you do not plan on keeping the Joe Black I would love to try and get that one from you.

I'll get those scans up as soon as they arrive. Currently, the DC # lists that dreaded warpzone of ZIP Code 55212 as the package's location. I hope there are no delays.

When they come in scan the ***** League ones and I will be able to tell you if they are real or not. I'm not a professional but I have spent a lot of time studying those types of autographs:)

Also, if you do not plan on keeping the Joe Black I would love to try and get that one from you.

I have owned one SP Legendary Cuts Leonard, and I own a Leaf Cut Leonard right now. Going by the scan, it looks spot on. Foxx and Ott are obviously my biggest concern. With the seller not actually listing those names in the description, I have to wonder if it was intentional to protect themselves when they arrive as fakes or if they are just to baseball illiterate to know exactly what they have. I can't wait to get them in hand and post some higher-resolution scans. If I decide that I do not need the Black, I'll send it to you. I have actually considered creating a larger card art piece of some of the ***** League greats, and build the autographs into the pieces (under each player). I'll let you know.

Tim

I'll get those scans up as soon as they arrive. Currently, the DC # lists that dreaded warpzone of ZIP Code 55212 as the package's location. I hope there are no delays.

I have owned one SP Legendary Cuts Leonard, and I own a Leaf Cut Leonard right now. Going by the scan, it looks spot on. Foxx and Ott are obviously my biggest concern. With the seller not actually listing those names in the description, I have to wonder if it was intentional to protect themselves when they arrive as fakes or if they are just to baseball illiterate to know exactly what they have. I can't wait to get them in hand and post some higher-resolution scans. If I decide that I do not need the Black, I'll send it to you. I have actually considered creating a larger card art piece of some of the ***** League greats, and build the autographs into the pieces (under each player). I'll let you know.

Tim

After I pay off a couple of recent purchases I was going to commission you to make me a ***** League piece. Don't go making anything cool like that or I will have to buy that as well!:)

Based on the comment about the unlisted Jordan that came back as fake, I would be concerned. The seller could be dropping fake items into scans with real items with the hopes that people see them, think they are real and bid high enough to make it worth while to the seller. It is especially odd that those two names were left off completely, when he even named a few incorrectly. Why would he not mention those two in some form or another and those just happen to potentially be the most valuable? Stranger things have happened though, as it has been proven that people list items w/o doing much homework if any.

As small as the pictures are, the autographs do look very similar to known examples. You may have just gotten extremely lucky.

Tim,
I believe you may have just secured the deal of the decade. Based on the seller's current and past auction listings he/she obviously has no idea when it comes to placing values on collectibles in the sports arena.

Keep us updated.

After I pay off a couple of recent purchases I was going to commission you to make me a ***** League piece. Don't go making anything cool like that or I will have to buy that as well!:)

The more I think about something like that with the ***** league stuff, the more excited I get. When you get ready, let me know. I'll share an idea I have....we'll see if you are interested.:)

Based on the comment about the unlisted Jordan that came back as fake, I would be concerned. The seller could be dropping fake items into scans with real items with the hopes that people see them, think they are real and bid high enough to make it worth while to the seller. It is especially odd that those two names were left off completely, when he even named a few incorrectly. Why would he not mention those two in some form or another and those just happen to potentially be the most valuable? Stranger things have happened though, as it has been proven that people list items w/o doing much homework if any.

As small as the pictures are, the autographs do look very similar to known examples. You may have just gotten extremely lucky.

You are echoing my thoughts exactly (especially with the Jordan concerns). For less than $200, I feel it was worth the gamble. At worst, I am hoping that some of the better autos like Mays, Aaron, Dickey, and Gomez are real. Although it will still be overpaying, that would at least take some of the sting out of it if the big boys aren't true. Here's to hoping the guy just doesn't have any idea how to research/list/etc.

Tim,
I believe you may have just secured the deal of the decade. Based on the seller's current and past auction listings he/she obviously has no idea when it comes to placing values on collectibles in the sports arena.

Keep us updated.

I certainly hope you are right. I'll send you a free drink voucher if they turn out to be real.:D

Tim