Quick Guide To Card Collecting Slang/Lingo Abbreviations & Acronyms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cut and copy this one, it was popular one I started on Beckett and has been a sticky on FCB since it started. I haven't been maintaining any of these types of posts I started (player collector lists, errors and variations, faqs, acronyms, etc) otherwise I would have done the same here. I just don't have the free time I used to.

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27326

Good thread. I'm adding some of those to the list.

What about SASE? Guess everyone knows that one, huh?

:eek: c'mon man, please only post real acronyms !

Last edited:
So glad this became a sticky... i'm relatively new and this helps me from staring blankly @ my monitor.

Thanks,
Adam

The introduction pages of the annual Beckett/SCD guides have something similar, listing what many of the card related abbreviations stand for that you'd see in their guides. Most are universal. It's a nice intro to cards and collecting.

How about these?

SSP - Super Short Print
SV - Street Value
MSF - Must Send First
Ebay 1/1 - Relating the serial number of a particular card to something other than the card itself (i.e. the player's jersey number) in order to establish a uniqueness for that card

and...

"LMK" should also be paired with "PLMK", because this is The Bench and we're better than "LMK" alone...

The introduction pages of the annual Beckett/SCD guides have something similar, listing what many of the card related abbreviations stand for that you'd see in their guides. Most are universal. It's a nice intro to cards and collecting.

Looked in my 2006 scd. Couldn't find it but think I'll add grading abbreviations. Thanks

How about these?

SSP - Super Short Print
SV - Street Value
MSF - Must Send First
Ebay 1/1 - Relating the serial number of a particular card to something other than the card itself (i.e. the player's jersey number) in order to establish a uniqueness for that card

and...

"LMK" should also be paired with "PLMK", because this is The Bench and we're better than "LMK" alone...

Thanks

Now that I think about it I realize that if I use "lmk" it's ALWAYS followed by "Thanks, Alan", while with "plmk" I usually add the thanks but it CAN stand by itself.

Last edited:
This may have been a victim of the ever expanding guides. To make room for 10 more parallel UD sets, maybe this section had to go.

I pulled this from my Beckett Almanac #5. I didn't check the rest of the books I have.

PA080001.jpg
PA080002.jpg
PA080003.jpg
PA080004.jpg

EU = Event Used. Same as GU (game used).

I suspect that more often than not now days a swatch of cloth on a card will have come from some "event" rather than an actual game.

I noticed no one has posted in this in awhile but I actually just came across this post and found it helpful myself. A good read for anyone new or old.

This is a great tool and especially helpful for the noobs. Question, is the word "chase card" used? Or is it a dated card replaced by, say, parallel or something else?

Been away from collecting for a while. List updated !
EU = Event Used. Same as GU (game used).

I suspect that more often than not now days a swatch of cloth on a card will have come from some "event" rather than an actual game.

Might want to change the "blaster-retail" listing. A blaster box is not the same as a retail box. Blasters have way fewer packs than a retail box. For example, 2018 Topps comes in a retail box (with 24 packs) as well as hobby boxes and of course blasters at the big box stores. Heritage comes in a retail and hobby box as well.

John

Last edited:

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online