Listing Large Quantities of Cards??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plopowitz

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hi everyone...

I often take a look at threads where there are HUGE amounts of cards listed.. I have quite a few cards on my site, but for me it takes lots of time to add them. My question is: Is there some type of baseball card software or some program available that assists in listing large numbers of cards? For example, if there are hundreds of cards listed for sale/trade such as this:

1982 Topps Cal Ripken RC #21, bv $40, Nrmt

Is that person likely to be typing out all those cards, letter by letter, number by number?? Just curious if anyone uses a program for easier listing, and if so, do you endorse the product?

Thanks for your help!!
Happy Holidays,
Pete

I type all of my lists. I try and sort the cards by year/manufacture before I begin to make it a little easier. I then copy and paste the basic part - using your example:

1982 Topps #
1982 Topps #
1982 Topps #
1982 Topps #
1982 Topps #

And then I can just fill in the cards number and other information. Takes time to do, I try and keep my list as up to date as possible which generally means sitting down for a couple of hours and typing away.

exactly how i do it melky! and it really doesn't matter what order you have them in, because, when you finish your list of 82 topps, such hit your sort record, and you can sort them by number, name etc... howver you want.

paul

Is that person likely to be typing out all those cards, letter by letter, number by number?? Just curious if anyone uses a program for easier listing, and if so, do you endorse the product?

remember , if you're using excel (or a similar application) that you can set up the info in columns and when when adding a new entry the auto-complete feature will really speed things up.....

and as someone else has mentioned , if you're going to have multiple rows with many columns containing the same data , a simple copy will allow you to paste that data in as many rows as you like in just a couple clicks....

I like this thread. I think it's really helpful to have spreadsheets that are as comprehensive as possible. When I first joined the site, if someone asked for...I dunno...1988 Donruss 235, I'd have to move several boxes, take out the stack and flip through to see if I had it. Now, I can just open up my base card spreadsheet.

I have all of my base cards listed only by number, but I suppose in the future, I would make a more detailed list. (The kind Melky suggested.) I put all of my inserts and vintage into a much more detailed spreadsheet. Those cards are anything that I think someone might want for more than base purposes. If I buy a bunch of Bowman, I just type the name into one cell, then paste in "Bowman Chrome Prospects BCP"...all I have to do then is type in the number and team name.

Beckett is a good site for putting together some of that information. Sportscarddatabase.com might also help.

Yeah, I guess it depends where you want to post them at. I use the "excel to turbo lister" thing for my ebay auctions (on free listing day, of course). I can usually put up 4-5,000 auctions a day. I think I had 4400 last time around. I'm trying to start up a Beckett account next, seems people I talked to have had some good success on there

I might be a little crazy...I don't know, but I entered about 90% of my cards into an excel spreadsheet. I had back surgery about 5 years ago, and since I couldn't do much else, I took advantage of that time and entered about 29,000 cards. I filtered the spreadsheet so that I can look up any card by:

A. Card Type (base, insert, serial, gameused, auto, oddball, short print, rookie, etc., including a combination of any of them, such as a gameused that is also serial #'d and so on)
B. Team
C. Player First Name
D. Player Last Name
E. Set (Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer, Ultra, Etc...)
D. Insert set
E. Subset
F. Card #
G. Serial #
H. Book Value
I. Quantity in hand

I just enter new cards in as I get them, and delete them as they're traded...it's fun, sometimes, lol. I've thought about using the Beckett system, but the thought of going through the 30,000+ cards is exhausting...Two options. Everyone has their own way, and I don't think there's a wrong way...whatever works best for each individual. Good luck buddy

Since Beckett changed "Organize" from free to fee based, I found that SportsCardForum has a nice inventory manager that can be exported to a spread sheet. Anytime I make changes to my inventory (adding or deleting cards) I export the new list then I can sort however I choose.

As for my want lists.....I copy and paste from Beckett and do a lot of deleting.