Thread: Your USPS

Your USPS

Has anyone realized this....

Mailing from zip code 16365

USPS Priority Mail 3 lb large package going to zip code 17005 cost $6.05
    USPS Priority Mail 3 lb large package going to zip code 66221 cost $8.71

Packages can't be mailed First Class because they weigh over 13 ozs

Weight of packages are the same but because there going to different zip codes
    there is a $2.66 difference

I sold 2 sets on ebay and charged $6.99 shipping on both sets

Sounds like it is getting to be where distance matters - the farther they have to move it the more you are going to pay. I dont like it but I cant dispute their right to do it. I am not sure how UPS or FedEx handle this but it may be similar.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Wantlists are on my webpage. Click the my user name and then go to home page.

ONLY MAILING ON SATURDAY

Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer913 View Post
    Has anyone realized this....

Mailing from zip code 16365

USPS Priority Mail 3 lb large package going to zip code 17005 cost $6.05
    USPS Priority Mail 3 lb large package going to zip code 66221 cost $8.71

Packages can't be mailed First Class because they weigh over 13 ozs

Weight of packages are the same but because there going to different zip codes
    there is a $2.66 difference

I sold 2 sets on ebay and charged $6.99 shipping on both sets
    Logistically in makes sense, costs me more to drive from Minnesota to Tennessee to see one friend than it does for me to drive to Milwaukee to see other friends, even if I pack my car the exact same way

Sound about right to me....use to average close to 100 trades per month in my younger days! Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Next Sat contest is March 18 and its for Tony Gwynn 2005 UD Heroes green 33/99 auto!

Really ? You're surprised it costs $2.66 more to ship a 3 pound package to Kansas (960 miles away) as opposed to shipping to another city in PA (200 miles away) ? Seems logical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJLevitsky View Post
    Sounds like it is getting to be where distance matters - the farther they have to move it the more you are going to pay. I dont like it but I cant dispute their right to do it. I am not sure how UPS or FedEx handle this but it may be similar.

Thanks,

Jeff
    It used to be a pretty simple calculation but everything matters now, size/thickness-weight-distance-rigidity/flexibility. They fouled it up to the point where even the clerks don't know the regs.
    Ripken wants:
    01 Leaf R&S Statistical Standouts gu on deck circle - Any besides solid white
    05 UD BB Heroes jsys bronze #11, emerald 11 & 14
    06 UD Epic Materials jerseys, dark green CR2, grey CR1 & 3, gold CR2

Just started the 1964 Topps baseball set. Only have Mantle and 30+ commons. Will trade just about anything I have so lmk what you have/need. Looking for exmt or better

I thought there were always postal zones for parcels. I don't ship a ton of packages, but it seems to me it was always more to reach further. Under 13 OZ and first class mail, flat rate priority, etc don't matter where you are sending (within US), because they are always the same.
    WANTS
    (1) Steve Garvey items (2)Topps All-Rookie Team Autos

BLOG
    http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/

If Your Not Going To Use Their Flat Rate Boxes, Then Cover Yourself And Charge The Coast To Coast Shipping Rate Whatever That Is. Good Luck To You.

Nothing about the USPS surprises me anymore................It use to frustrate me to no end, but not anymore..................It's what it is and that's about it................What else can you do? Give up trading or selling online? I'm sure some folks have..................

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I thought there were always postal zones for parcels. I don't ship a ton of packages, but it seems to me it was always more to reach further. Under 13 OZ and first class mail, flat rate priority, etc don't matter where you are sending (within US), because they are always the same.

^
    this....

also , fwiw , when the usps introduced their latest addition to the flat rate priority line (now including small , medium , large , plus an assortment of envelopes) they also added in the "regional rate priority box"...pretty much the same size as the medium flat rate boxes but as the name implies the cost varies by distance/destination.....for me it's FAAAAAR easier to just go straight from the 13-ounce-and under bubble mailer to flat rate priority so i don't either lose money on some sales , overcharge buyers on others , or have to play e-mail tag while calculating an exact shipping charge (which is made rather difficult due to ebay's rule requiring a seller to list the shipping cost of each listing).....
    Claude's Card Corner
    Want ANY USC Gamecocks such as Renaldo Balkman , Tiffany Mitchell , Alaina Coates , Dunta Robinson , Jonathan Joseph , Fred Bennett , Connor Shaw , Duce Staley , Sidney Rice , Jadeveon Clowney , Alshon Jeffery , Melvin Ingram , Marcus Lattimore , Landon Powell , Whit Merrifield , Jordan Montgomery , Justin Smoak & Steve Pearce (full list on my site)

A letter going to Kansas $0.45
    A letter going to New Jersey $0.45
    A letter going to California $0.45

A 1oz small package going to Kansas $1.95
    A 1oz small package going to New Jersey $1.95
    A 1oz small package going to California $1.95

All going to different parts of the country but yet the prices are same so why does a priority package with the same weight cost a different price ?

And a oh btw it cost $13.95 to mail a 3 lb international first class package anywhere in Canada.

First class mail, Media mail and Library mail rates are determined by weight only.

Express mail, Priority mail and Parcel post rates are determined by weight and location the item is going to.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm

Read that. It shows how the rates are broken down effective January 22, 2012.

I am trading for my set needs listed on my www

http://soxnbears.webs.com

"I think too much on the mound sometimes, and I get brain cramps."

-Britt Burns, White Sox Pitcher

Weight and distance based pricing is nothing new. UPS and FedEx have been utilizing this concept for many years.

The majority of the Express mail and Priority mail are transported via FedEx Express aircraft, which may or may not play into the calculation of the pricing variations. FedEx and USPS entered into a contract years ago. You will notice many post offices have a FedEx Express drop box on site. That was part of the agreement. The FedEx air fleet handles USPS cargo during the day and FedEx Express packages between midnight and 8 a.m.

The entire USPS business model appears to be on unstable ground right now after announcing they have plans to cut their workforce by 150,000 and offer a $15K buyout to 45,000 union workers. Price rate increases are sure to follow.
    Bob Torba, Jr. - Bench HOF Member #8
    Facebook profile | Twitter: @bobtorba7