Recent Pickups- December

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

budd2222

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Started up fast with these two.
Image0001.jpg

Image0002-2.jpg

I love Falling Skies, pumped for Season 3.

Some Bagwell PC Pick ups

2004 Diamond Kings DK Combos Framed Silver Card # 84 SN # 1/5
Scan.jpg

I picked up a lot of various 1997-1999 Pacific cards that were all embossed at various shows in that time period. Can't see the embossed part very well in these scans but I have individual scans up in my bucket. Allegedly pretty rare since you had to open a pack at the Pacific booth and they would then stamp/emboss one card from the pack at the collectors pick. After each show the mints were destroyed. So who knows how many of these are out there, but I thought they were cool.

Scan%252013.jpg

Scan%252023.jpg

Scan%252032.jpg

Have a good December of pickups!

Matt

I'm in buying mode in December as much as any month. Both the USA set and BDP are already out and I've picked up singles from both. Most cards pictured below are incoming from ebay.

This is from Bowman Chrome (not Draft). I'm very high on his potential to shoot up the prospect rankings next year. I was really looking to buy his Chrome auto but Topps did not produce one this year. 2/5:
$(KGrHqN,!k8FBmuFecDDBQsVVEp1Gg~~60_3.jpg

Nice looking patch on whom I believe is the best catcher for the 2013 Draft:
$(KGrHqVHJEYFCblBg389BQttuJpOP!~~60_57.jpg

This card is autographed on the piece of lineup card that contained his name. The back indicates the game and how the player contributed.
$T2eC16VHJGoE9nuQfevtBQtGpQbch!~~60_57.jpg

Here's one I'm really excited about - my first Superfractor. Made an offer, received a counter, and figured it is a fair price to snatch up.
$(KGrHqZ,!oQFCsFzpUeUBQurzoKSrw~~60_57.jpg

Nice cards so far! Good way to start off the month. Here's a couple I picked up recently:

Smoltz for the PC -

/10
JSwood.jpg

Had this one already, but decided to upgrade (serial number)
JSart.jpg

Now a few that I picked up through my box busting extravaganza last week (these are already on eBay and/or available for trade) -

1/5
EBguauf.jpg

4/5
QUADpatch.jpg

1/1
DRpatchf.jpg

/99
CNpatchauf.jpg

1/1 Sketch/Auto
MLauf.jpg

Nice Falling Skies auto! We love that show. Here are my PC pickups so far this month:

1961 Topps 307
scan0018-1.jpg

1991 Topps Desert Shield
scan0003.jpg

04 Leaf Exhibits /21
scan0001-1.jpg

I picked up a lot of various 1997-1999 Pacific cards that were all embossed at various shows in that time period. Can't see the embossed part very well in these scans but I have individual scans up in my bucket. Allegedly pretty rare since you had to open a pack at the Pacific booth and they would then stamp/emboss one card from the pack at the collectors pick. After each show the mints were destroyed. So who knows how many of these are out there, but I thought they were cool.

Matt,
I have a 1998 Paramount Jason Giambi that I got "embossed" at the San Francisco Labor Day show that year. You're right, if you opened a pack at their booth they would put 1 card of your choice from the pack in a hand-operated press and "crimp" it. There was no line at the booth and Pacific products weren't ever especially popular so they are probably pretty rare. Of course since you chose the card to get embossed the star players are less rare, so maybe there are a small number of Griffeys, somewhat less Bagwells, and zero Gary DiSarcinas.

Playoff used to do a lot of that at shows as well back before they got a baseball license, except they at least put a foil stamp on there. I have 2 or 3 Dilfers like that in my collection.

Richard

Matt,

Somebody over on FCB recently posted about some Barry Larkin Pacific embossed cards they got and mentioned they found a file with photos of all the embossings...if you're interested in trying to make a list of what you might need, or if there are some where it's hard to make out which show it's from, maybe you can contact them to get the file.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...-s-Inserts-3?p=1851976&viewfull=1#post1851976

Richard

Thanks Richard. I looked through some of the other posts, what are 'backdoored' flair showcase cards?

Sweet Warehouse 13 cards. What season are those from? I have most of them from season 1.

Matt

Thanks Richard. I looked through some of the other posts, what are 'backdoored' flair showcase cards?

Sweet Warehouse 13 cards. What season are those from? I have most of them from season 1.

Matt
They are from season three. Would like to find a H.G. Wells from season two. They do not show up very often.

Hey guys! Nice pickups so far thsi month. I am sure there will be some really good stuff after Christmas :)

I have gotten a few things, but nothing major so far:

120120126.jpg

1208201211.jpg

1208201212.jpg

Dewayne

Matt

A ton of 1998 Flair Showcase Legacy cards were stolen from the factory or came out after the bankruptcy...I seem to remember these cards showing up before the bankruptcy so I think it was the former. These were unfinished on the back and some unsavory characters added serial numbers that are close enough to the real thing that I forget how to tell the difference. Maybe somebody else remembers? With my luck I probably have a few phonies in my collection.

Edit - I looked it up and the fakes do not have the player's name foil-stamped on the back. Also on the stamped numbering, the "O" in "OF" is the exact same as the zeroes in "100" on the fake cards. On the real cards the O and zero look different. If you go look at some of the cards on comc you can notice the slight difference between the factory stamped cards and the fake stamped ones.

Richard

Last edited:
Richard,

Wow. Glad to know someone could have robbed fleer!! I see what you are saying. I think I could tell the difference between a few. You going to the shoreline show this saturday? It would be fun to meet up at one of them and actually meet!!

Matt

Matt,
Sadly I can't make it to that show, my fiancee's birthday is Sunday and she has proclaimed the entire weekend to be her "birthday weekend". Pretty sure I'd be in the doghouse if I took off for a card show...it would be cool to meet up at one though, I'll have to keep my eyes on the schedule.
Richard

It has been a slow month for cards but I was able to pick up a few needs:

a few for my 05 SP Legendary Cuts GU sets
1215201218.jpg

a couple from the 05 UD Baseball Heroes set
1215201219.jpg

a few 02 Greats of the Game autos (Kell is available if anyone needs it)
1215201225.jpg

And the last Rose auto for my set
121520126.jpg

Dewayne