2013 - Collecting Goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greyminis

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Happy New Year everyone.

Don't know if this sort of thread has been started, but curious to hear about what interests everyone in 2013 in terms of card collecting.

For me, it is the new Gypsy Queen wood mini parallel which are numbered to 5.

Looks a lot like the A&G wood mini 1/1s.

Also hoping Topps will finally stop rehashing A&G. Isn't 7 years enough?

• Work on finishing the 2003 timeless treasures gold set serial #10...have 76 of the 100.
  • Finish The Bench YSL set this year by Oct!
Best regards, David

2013 Collecting Goals

1) Finish my 1970 Topps set (12 to go)
2) Find 2007 Sweet Spot Soria #123 autograph (last one for set)
3) Pick up another 24 cards for my 1951 Bowman set (2/month)
4) Attend the 2013 National in Chicago
5) Trade more cards from the trade boxes than I add :D

Scott

2013 Collecting Goals

1. Hit 4000 different cards on the Chipper collection. Currently at 3978 on 1/1/13.
2. Focus my football card collection to Ray Rice. I've been dabbling with a few Ravens players, but I think I need to focus it to just one.
3. Trim down my trade list/have list and get rid of extraneous cards.
4. Decide what to do now that Chipper has retired. Either continue with baseball or maybe switch to football.
5. Attend the East Coast National. Don't think I can swing Chicago.

1. Cross 5 cards off my Trent Dilfer wantlist.
2. Get RCs of Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, and Rollie Fingers.
3. Add 20 cards for my long-term 1988 Topps autographed set project. Currently at 400 but I picked up less than 10 last year.
4. Complete 2013 Topps regular and update sets. Finish three sets that are close: 2002 Topps, 1998 Metal Universe, and 2012 Archives.
5. Get 2 more pre-war A's cards and pick up at least one GU card for a pre-war A's HOFer I don't have: Eddie Collins, Al Simmons, or Ty Cobb (he has some A's GU).
6. Finish adding scans of every Trent Dilfer card in my collection to my site (only have 1994 and 1995 done so far). Finally put up wantlists for Mark McGwire, Rickey Henderson, and Reggie Jackson.
7. Get to 1,000 Bench trades completed!

Richard

To finish a couple 2012 sets!! Heritage, Archives and 2012 Football!! THEN work on 2013, not really in any order at all!

Tim

David: I admire that there are still collectors trying to finisher their 'older' serial numbered sets. I've been stuck on needing 6 from the 2005 Cracker Jack grey mini/25 set for over a year now. Listings are just few and far between and when one does get listed it's one I already have.

sgbt4: I like that last one, trade more from the trade box than you add. I'm adding that to my list of goals for 2013.

Dark_Angel: I don't think they'll stop making Chipper Jones cards even though he's retired. Look at all the Griffey Jr. cards that came out in 2012.

My wonder is why Topps didn't make a Matt Weiters card in 2012. He only made his second All Star game and second consecutive gold glove. Hope that changes in 2013.

And Ray Rice is a great choice for a player collection. I'll keep you in mind if I run into anything.

Dark_Angel: I don't think they'll stop making Chipper Jones cards even though he's retired. Look at all the Griffey Jr. cards that came out in 2012.

It's more along the lines of I'm thinking about capping the collection at 4000 unique cards. :)

That's cool. What a great player to collect! The Braves have some good young players to consider if you were to start a new player collection...Heyward, Freeman, Kimbrel are the one's that jump to mind.

I have a couple small collections of younger stars...Stanton and Strasburg primarily, though I like David Freese too.

I will do the 2013 Topps and update and Heritage sets as usual. I have always thought about doing a serial numbered set. I was all set to do Topps Gold in 2012 but they didn't come out untill the Update release and I had started the gold sparkle sets and didn't have the courage to do both. So maybe this year instead of doing the Topps parallel set I can find the numbered set I would like to tackle.
I also need to get rid of a lot of my trade stuff. I have almost all of my inserts and parallel cards listed and I have started to list my base cards on a trade page. It is a long slow process and I just hope there are some collectors out there that need some of them.

Happy collecting,
Gary

I am going to keep my 2013 Collecting goals pretty simple. I don't have the means to go after a ultra hard to complete set or collection. I am content to go after the "low hanging fruit". I simply want to grow each of following:

1. Start a Brewer collection for my daughter who is set to arrive this May,
2. My son's 2011 (birthyear) Brewer collection.
3. Ryan Braun collection.
4. 2008 Upper Deck Heroes Brewers(74 total as of January 1st)
5. Geoff Jenkins Game Used and Autos(4 auto's/8 game used as of January 1st)
6. Brewer Game Used and Autos(7 auto's/58 game used as of January 1st)

Here's to a another year of great collecting,

Frank

Last edited:
I'm down to needing around 20 Shaun Marcum non 1/1 cards to own everything that has been produced of him. Would be nice to get that number to 10 or lower. I'm guessing he will have cards in sets this year as well, so keeping on top of that will be a goal as well. Maintain sales of $400+ per month on COMC. Keep my cards here at home down to one 4800 count box.

My main goal for this year is completeing my 2004 Topps Cracker Jack master set and trading more often and maybe thining out my pc a little.

Jon

Since I have gotten away from baseball cards and more in to nonsports my goals are. Get an autograph card of each character from each of these TV shows.
Falling Skies 16 Total have 2, 2 incoming.
Warehouse 13 38 total have 4, 7 incoming.

Then work on all 5 Star Trek TV shows autographs. Have 39.

Mine would definitely be to add to my San Jose Sharks autograph collection, just hit over 100 different players in 2012 and it would be great to hit at least 150 or even 200 by the end of this year. It's been a fun collection to watch, with over 20 years of hockey in SJ.
Thinning my duplicate signed cards for Sharks and getting cards from the base and insert boxes to the signed boxes would also be a plus.

Should be a great year overall!

My goals are fairly simple -

1,000 more Rockets cards
1,000 more Texans cards
100 cards to me Astros rookie collection
100 more cards to my Basketball rookie collection
15 cards to my Gerald Green collection

Get rid of more cards so I can fit them in one room!!!

2013 Collecting Goals:

1) Get my Jim Thome collection up to at least 2500 cards

2) Keep collecting current and vintage Topps Phillies cards

3) Finish 1971 Fleer World Series set (need 1 card)

4) Get closer to finishing 1973 Topps set

5) Finish 1996 Topps Mantle and 1998 Topps Clemente reprint sets

Gary