Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Arrow How to safely ship cards

The biggest gripe I have with online trading is getting a package and finding out it was poorly packed. The result: dinged corners and damaged cards.

There are many ways to pack cards so that they make it to their destination in one piece.

Single Card
    You can use a regualr envelope or a bubble mailer for extra protection. Place the card into a penny sleeve, place penny sleeve into a toploader. Now the most important part pinch the top of the toploader and seal it with some scotch tape. This prevents the card from escaping during it's trip and getting damaged. If you are going to use a regular envelope don't just throw it in and send it on it's way. Make sure to either wrap it in a sheet of paper or tape the toploader to the inside of the envelope. If you leave it loose it will move around and there is high possibility the envelope will get stuck in a postal sorting machine. The maximum amount of cards I would place in a regular envelope is three.

Large Lots
    There are various ways to send larger lots of cards. My method is as follows. First I break the cards down into piles of 25 or so and wrap them with old wax wrappers (u can use regular paper, tissue, newspaper) this helps keep the cards in a tight bunch. Next I tape the pile to a toploader using good packing tape, I make sure to tape vertically and horizontally (the pile should not be able to move it's now nice and centered on the toploader. Next I place a second toploader on the other side of the pile and tape both toploader together making a sandwich. I then slide the toploader sandwiches into a bubble mailer and off they go. Sometimes for extra support I will place a piece of cardboard inside the bubble mailer to make the package nice and sturdy.
    Try to keep the piles the same size so that when you place them into the bubble mailer you have a nice flat surface. I save all my old toploaders so I have plenty when it comes time to pack up cards for a trade.

Another way of sending large lots is to place the cards into a plastic case. Everyone should be familiar with these cases. Tape the case shut and place it into a bubble mailer and off they go. Pretty easy to do, but unless you have a stockpile of old cases it can get expensive.

Starter Sets or 300+ cards
    Best way to ship a large amount of cards is to put them into a 300,400,500,600 count box you can pick them up at your local shop. You can ship them in those boxes but there is no protection. I place the smaller box into a slightly larger box and pad the sided with newspaper.

The most important thing to do is place a note along with cards so that the other person knows who they are coming from. Members of this site don't forget to add your screen name.

Remember to spend a little extra time packing the cards you send out and you will always have great trades. Also spend the extra money and insure packages with a high value.

Last edited by YankeeBob63; 05-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Bob Torba, Jr. - Bench HOF Member #8
    Facebook profile | Twitter: @bobtorba7

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to ArcticMerchant's ebay items

Thanks

thanks for the info...
    Active Duty US Navy Submariner and SF GIANTS fan!

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

If I may add a suggestion or a clarification, it is really inportant to use a tape loop, or double sided tape, to secure each pile of cards to the top loader on either side of it.

Often when we use penny sleeves a pile has a lot of "slipperiness" to it, and I've had more than my fair share of shipments for which the edges of the pile were taped properly, but the cards still moved between the toploaders, and were slipping out on arrival.

It is really important to secure the pile of cards to the toploaders, top and bottom, and then seal the edges of the "sandwich" with more tape.

I almost always put all the cards in a team bag, as well, so that the cards cannot shift apart in any way. Keeping corners of cards away from mail machines helps keep the hobby a happy experience.

Joel

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to andthemarlinswin's ebay items

Hey there,

I'm just wondering...we are aloud to ship smaller end deals in white envelopes? Just wondering, because on beckett, you are required to ship with top loader and bubble mailer.

I always ship with bubble mailer no matter how low end the deal, and I use delivery confrimation on deals with bv's 20+ just for my saftey, and the saftey of others.

Sorry for the long read.

Happy Holidays,
    Jared
    Top Prospect Collector
    (TPC)

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to jandkstuffstore's ebay items

Quote Originally Posted by ProsCollector
    Hey there,

I'm just wondering...we are aloud to ship smaller end deals in white envelopes? Just wondering, because on beckett, you are required to ship with top loader and bubble mailer.

I always ship with bubble mailer no matter how low end the deal, and I use delivery confrimation on deals with bv's 20+ just for my saftey, and the saftey of others.

Sorry for the long read.

Happy Holidays,
    Jared
    Top Prospect Collector
    (TPC)
    Jared,

That is not a requirement. It is usually agreed upon by both traders. Most people don't mind the white envelopes if it's a small deal. If there's any question, you should take to the other trader about it.

Jesse
    Co-Owner of J and K Stuff
    Check us out! Free Stuff with every order! No Sales Tax! We have supplies! We special order!

Looking for Albert Pujols & Roger Maris.

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I'm sure everyone will say shipping in a white envelope is fine, but. I have made more than a few trades on beckett and only once did I get my end in a white envelope. Well... The patch card was almost bent in half (Yes it was still in the top loader)
    I have never, and will never ship in a plain envelope (I dont care if I'm giving the cards away)
    I ALWAYS ship in a penny sleeve , toploader(taped) and then use an old bubble mailer from an old trade I received to wrap the card in. This makes it thick enough to get a DC# plus adds extra protection.
    When I ship anything that requires a plastic case (15 count holders and above) I always put them in a graded card bag, and wrap them in some bubble wrap.
    And I always, always get a Delivery confirmation number.
    The extra time and few pennies are well worth it to me to make sure the trade goes through perfect on both ends
    ALWAYS ON THE SEARCH FOR OLD FISHING STUFF!!!

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating
    Trent Dilfer

Go to dilferules's ebay items

I would never ever ship a jersey card in a white envelope, they crease very easily. Personally I only send in a white envelope if the card books for less than $5. It's kind of a waste to spend money on a bubble mailer and the extra postage for a card that books at $3.

Richard
    Collecting: Trent Dilfer, Oakland A's, Xavier Nady, 1988 Topps baseball autographs, and others.
    Website with huge tradelists and wantlists:
    dilfer.com
    Baseball Alphabetical Tradelist --- Baseball RC Tradelist by Year/Set --- GU/Auto/Topps Gold Tradelist

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

yeah i was kinda pissed when i bought a card off ebay, 3.00 shipping and i got it in a white envelope with bubble wrap inside.

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules
    I would never ever ship a jersey card in a white envelope, they crease very easily. Personally I only send in a white envelope if the card books for less than $5. It's kind of a waste to spend money on a bubble mailer and the extra postage for a card that books at $3.

Richard
    It is worth it to me, if someone needs the card for there set, I'm sure they would like to get in top notch shape. If the BV to me is $1.00 and that person needs it for there set , then I treat it like a gem*
    ALWAYS ON THE SEARCH FOR OLD FISHING STUFF!!!

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to swiverrules1976's ebay items
    Go to BrianSwitzer76's comc items

Another word of caution... I have had people tape the tops of top loaders, and for whatever reason, the card has slipped and got some of the adhesive on the edge... This has happened a couple times as a matter of fact...

what you should do is fold a piece of paper over the top of the loader, and tape to the front/back of the loader... This way there is no adhesive to get on the top edge of the card, and yet, it keeps the card from slipping out.

if shipping in just a toploader- tape peices of "Pack search deterent cardboard" to both sides to ensure the card won't bend in the mail...

Just my 2 cents worth

11. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Check The New Postal Pricing As Per Cards In Top Loaders Which Wont Bend They Are Considered Packages And Cost 1.14 Not 41

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by trapper12 View Post
    Check The New Postal Pricing As Per Cards In Top Loaders Which Wont Bend They Are Considered Packages And Cost 1.14 Not 41
    That is not correct. Per the USPS...

Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics below are subject to the $0.17 nonmachinable surcharge. For heavier items, see Large Envelope or Package.

It is a square letter

It is too rigid does not bend easily

It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices

It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter

It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven

The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5 (calculate this below)

You should be paying $0.58 when sending a top loader in a PWE.
    I am trading for my set needs listed on my www

http://soxnbears.webs.com

"I think too much on the mound sometimes, and I get brain cramps."

-Britt Burns, White Sox Pitcher

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

i just want to add my two cents
    Toploaders give some protection but are bendy. So you want it to be safer cut two pieces of cardboard and put them on the toploader then tape them together. That way the odds of it getting destroyed is much smaller
    Baseball GU/Autos FT
    Football GU/Autos FT
    I am only able to mail once a week. Sorry for any inconvenience
    Yamon Figurs: 213/496 (Without 1/1's) 42.9%
    Jamal Lewis: 106/2672 (Without 1/1's) 3.8%

Also collecting Cleveland Browns

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to magicone333's ebay items

That happened to me too, but I paid $4 shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Pronk View Post
    yeah i was kinda pissed when i bought a card off ebay, 3.00 shipping and i got it in a white envelope with bubble wrap inside.
    My Main Wants:
    Cards for TTMing (vintage only),
    Josh Gibson, Freddy Sandoval, and 2010 Chicle jerseys/autos. Please send me a PM.

*****$1.50 Jerseys/Autos FS. Take a look!*****

Photobucket (no longer being updated)- password: 58topps
    Flickr (updated often)

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I always pack the cards I sell very well.