Pull of a lifetime (Strasburg)! Need advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

forester7

Prospect
I am not a big-time collector (about 8 hobby boxes since 1993), so I was shocked when I pulled the 2010 Bowman Chrome Strasburg Superfractor (#1/1)! I actually pulled it last summer and have had it sitting in a safe deposit box while I have been trying to figure out since then what to do with it. While such a rare and special pull is nice to keep, I am entertaining the thought of selling it this summer if Strasburg starts putting together a great year, but I am not sure.

What should I do?

Should I get it graded? It looks to be in perfect condition to me. If I get it graded... with whom? How can I be sure it won't get lost in the mail?

If I sell it, how should I go about it? Just post it on Ebay? Would there be a way to draw attention to it if I put it on Ebay?

And finally.... what could it be worth? I know his regular 2010 Bowman Superfractor went for something like $20,000 and his 2010 Bowman Draft Superfractor apparently got offers around $2500 or $3500 on Ebay.

Please send your thoughts or insights on any of the questions I have posed. Your advice will be appreciated!

On a 1/1 not sure how much more $$$ grading it will get you.

You can always test the waters on Ebay with a free listing and cancel it before it ends IF it doesn't reach your dollar range.

I think grading might help slightly, to at least let people know it's not a photoshopped pic or something...because that's a huge card. BGS is the standard for the newer Bowman Chrome stuff.

Ebay is the way to go. You won't need to advertise as long as "2010 Bowman Chrome Stephen Strasburg Superfractor 1/1" is in the title, it will advertise itself on message boards around the internet when people find it.

Richard

It being a 1/1, I personally wouldn't get it graded. If for whatever reason it were to grade low, say an 8 or 8.5, I think it might possibly compromise some of it's value. If I were you, I would put it on ebay with an insane "Buy It Now" price (think 5 figures) with an option to make a "Best Offer" just to gauge the interest. This way you can get an idea of what the card is truly worth, without actually having to let it go at the moment. Then come mid season if Strasburg is on fire, then you unload it.

If you're not personally invested in it, sell and don't look back. The kid has already looked like a world ******, had arm issues, and been the focus of intense media play. Look at history, see how many starting pitchers you can find in the last 40-50 years whose cards didn't fall considerably at some point after the next big thing came along, even if they ended up as HOF'ers. Almost none of them regained their previous high ground. Ryan, Clemens, Carlton, Seaver, Palmer, Blyleven, Kaat, Maddux, Randy Johnson, etc. Take the money while you can. If he blazes as bright as Ryan or Seaver over the next 20 years, you might eventually have left some money on the table, but if he struggles, gets enough bad press, becomes a great but not historic pitcher, it will go down.

As for the grading, I add to the 'why bother' thread. It's not like someone can go out and get another one if they aren't happy with the condition. You take it as is, or don't own one. Even if it got a 2.5 it would still be 'the best in existence' because there aren't any others.

I would sell the card...I would seriously consider having it graded....Why....It would generate talk in the hobby and they (the company grading your card) might even throw a little public spotlight on your 1/1 Strasburgh superfractor from bowman chrome (this is much better than the bowman superfractor)! Best regards, David

Last edited:
Should I get it graded? It looks to be in perfect condition to me. If I get it graded... with whom? How can I be sure it won't get lost in the mail?

There are multiple 2010 Bowman Chrome Strasburg Superfractors. I'm assuming you got the one that is from the 2010 Bowman Chrome product (not Bowman or Bowman Draft) and it is not the autographed version. This product was condition sensitive. However, there was great controversy when the 2010 Bowman graded a BGS 9.5 because it clearly did not deserve the grade. I recommend submitting it to BGS with a minimum grade of 9. Anything lower doesn't get slabbed. There is also a belief that BGS will grade such cards generously and give you the benefit of the doubt. No way to be sure it doesn't get lost but spend the money for insurance, Express Mail, etc.

If I sell it, how should I go about it? Just post it on Ebay? Would there be a way to draw attention to it if I put it on Ebay?

This will be tricky. Ebay is your best bet but you will also draw bidders who aren't serious. I've never sold a card of this value so I don't know. I anticipate the card is worth a few thousand dollars. BIN/BO will allow you to weed out bad bidders but auction may fetch higher and save on fees [in this case].

And finally.... what could it be worth? I know his regular 2010 Bowman Superfractor went for something like $20,000 and his 2010 Bowman Draft Superfractor apparently got offers around $2500 or $3500 on Ebay.

It should be about the same as Draft Super. The $20,000 is a huge anomaly for Supers, especially unautographed ones. Would love to see a scan. Good luck with the sale.

I'd personally get it graded, then you also don't have to worry about if it gets damaged in the mail the buyer then complaining about the condition. Being graded by BGS then also kinda gives you an insurance point if something were to happen to it as well. Very nice card, I'd sell it but thats probably something you should have sold last year while he was hot. While I'm sure you will definately make some serious money on it I can't imagine you will get anything to crazy anymore

If you are concerned it may not bring a 10 or so, you could at least send it into PSA to get it authenticated and encapsulated. It would protect the card and assure potential buyers it's real.

Grading a 1/1 is a waste of money. If it graded a 4 for condition, is someone going to pass on it because they can get another? Nope, it's still the only one. As for it getting damaged in shipping, you're not going to send it in a plain envelope, you'll take the time and effort to pack it properly, so thats not a concern.
Personally, I'd pop that on Ebay right now. Every day you delay is one more day he could reinjure his arm and kill his career and the cards value. If you truly think it's going to be the greatest, most valuable card ever, keep it, then realize 5 years from now what a mistake you made! Ask anyone who stored away Scott Kazmir cards. If you list it on Ebay, I'd send an email to Beckett with a link, they'll put a story on their web site, which might generate more interest.

It's a great situation to be in, and there are differing opinions that all have sensible logic behind them. Do you wait until he puts a string together and ESPN is showing his highlights at the top of the show? If you do, and he snaps a ligament one night before you sell it, you may have risked your chance to maximize profit.

On the other hand, if you are like me, you'll sell it, ship it off, and he'll throw back-to-back no-hitters the next week.

I'd think that BGS Grading is probably a good idea. It isn't expensive relative to what the final price on the card may be. The potential for Beckett to put it out there in the media could grow your potential profit. You know if it is a 9 or above if you look at the card under a critical eye. If it below an 8.5 range, though, I'd consider not grading it.

I just uploaded a few pictures. I couldn't figure out how to insert them in this post, but they can be viewed here:

http://bbcards.wikispaces.com/pictures

I have decided I will probably try to sell it. I may even put it on ebay later this week. I think a better time to sell will be after the season starts (and hopefully he does well), but I will put a big price on it now and at least gauge the interest. I might still get ti graded depending on how much interest I get in it ungraded.

Thanks to everyone here for your suggestions.

I just uploaded a few pictures. I couldn't figure out how to insert them in this post, but they can be viewed here:

http://bbcards.wikispaces.com/pictures

I have decided I will probably try to sell it. I may even put it on ebay later this week. I think a better time to sell will be after the season starts (and hopefully he does well), but I will put a big price on it now and at least gauge the interest. I might still get ti graded depending on how much interest I get in it ungraded.

Thanks to everyone here for your suggestions.

I would sell it as soon as possible if that was my card. Waiting until the season starts may only hurt you and not help really. If he makes the All-Star team and is 10-3 at the break his value isn't going to increase much because his value is already as high as it's going to get, outside from when he debuted. Every day you don't sell is another day he has a chance to blow out his arm again. What valediction said is dead on, cards for pitchers do not regain the intial value of when they were hot and hyped.

Timing makes all the difference in the word. Are people even still talking about him? I'm guessing the $20K is nowhere near what it would sell for and thus probably steals some credibility from the listing. At least there is a BO option, but with a starting price like $20K, some people might not even bother, thinking you wouldn't take them serious. I rarely even bother to offer on things I feel are priced too high.

Good luck though.

I agree with Chief, definitely get a better, larger scan. Good luck though. Keep us informed on the progress. I am quite intrigued.

You can enlarge the picture he has there, size of it seems fine to me.

If I had that card I would make the BIN something large as well to gauge the interest of the card. Can be hard to tell what a 1/1 like that may net you and I would hate to list it too low and sell myself short on it's potential.