Thoughts and opinions about Leaf products?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thedarkbrown

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I wasn't fully aware of Leaf's current products until attending Brian Gray's Leaf corporate address at the Industry Summit. I've done some research and I am really digging their products, typically the pop culture/entertainment cut autos. However, their "Best of" stuff looks awesome as well.

What are some of your thoughts?

BTW, in case you are wondering Leaf goes to the player or celebrity directly for licensing, vs. going through sports teams or player associations. In other words they pay the players and celbrities directly for signing their cards, unless it's a cut auto.

I think their stuff looks great. In fact I bought 4 boxes of 2012 Leaf Inscriptions, and ordered a bunch more Leaf product after seeing the corporate address and talking to the CEO directly.

Jesse

I like their pop culture stuff, although it's very generic in nature. The sports stuff, with no logos, is just awful to look at. But they have been able to get some people to sign that weren't available certified before, and thats a plus.

I agree about the sports stuff missing the logos. I think the Inscriptions products, even without team logos is very unique.

I justed loved the 1990 leaf product...the white borders and colorfully two serial set (with Frank Thomas in the serial II/Sammy Sosa In serial I). Best regards, David

I like the new leaf stuff. i have heared they take great care of there customers too. With the redemptions and all.

The only leaf products I have seen were the cut autograph boxes. The pop culture I would give a thumps up to, getting a cut autograph of Butterfly McQueen [Gone With The Wind] Betty White or Lew Ayres [ 40's Dr. Kildare movies] not a total loss. I watched two cases of the baseball all-star cuts broke and it was ugly. I never could find out how many of the Ruth and other big name players were made so it would be a huge gamble product.

The owner of Leaf hates redemptions. He explained why they have very few redemptions but I can't remember exactly why they have to use redemptions once in a while. Their redemption process is very easy. One of their giveaways at the summit was a Leaf redemption card but you didn't know what it was for until you redeemed it. That is how we got the Daniel Radcliffe cut auto.

Regarding the population report, Leaf posts them for some products so you can verify what's available. It is a little spotty for some sets.

What I like about the Leaf non sport products is the large selection of autographs and swatches. What i do not like is the sticker autographs and the Becket cases for the cut autos . For storage and display the cases are just to large for me.

I like the design of a lot of their baseball draft stuff and have picked up singles of A's prospects. They'd be much better with logos but the designs are nice enough that even without them they look decent. Plus they are very affordable compared to Bowman autos. I have an Addison Russell Leaf Metal auto/99 that I picked up for under $20 several months back. That was a lot less than I ended up paying for his base Bowman Chrome Draft auto, which is much more plentiful. It was a nice way to get a somewhat tough card of a great prospect.

As for the "Best Of" products, they are purely gamble products so they aren't my cup of tea (I like to mix a little collecting with gambling, at least). However, I trust Leaf more with the gamble products than the other fly by night companies that have popped up lately.

Richard