WOW! Pulled a Nelson Mandela 1/1 Cuto Auto from 2012 Leaf Cut Signature Edition!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thedarkbrown

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
We are REALLY liking this cuto auto stuff. I never knew that I would like it so much, but this is why I like it:
1.) You can get AWESOME cut autos from people that you would never guess!
2.) It's a lot of fun to open with 2 people and play a "guessing" game to figure out who the card is without looking at it. For example, my wife opened the box with the Nelson Mandela so I tried to guess who it was of.. Not an athlete, musician, or actor. I guessed president and she said "yup". So I guessed a president of the US and she said no, he's international. Then I guessed Nelson Mandela and that's what it was!
3.) We are not in the market to buy any autographed photos or memorabilia. But with this product it's a cut sig of a celebrity, in a nice card, and encapsulated by Beckett. Overall, they just look awesome to us!

We busted 5 boxes of 2012 Leaf Cut Signature Edition and pulled the following (in the order we opened them):
Simon Cowell - American Idol - X-Factor 4 of 12
Gene Tierney - Actress in "Laura" 2 of 3. Inscribed "Best Wishes", Died 1991 (I don't know who this is)
Nelson Mandela - President of South Africa 1 of 1. Dated 2-12-91
Warren Beatty - Actor in "Bugsy" 39 of 40. Pretty cool as it's on an english check, stamped 22 MAR 66
Jack Haley - Actor - Wizard of Oz (The Tin Man) 25 of 36, Died 1979, From a check

I think the Mandela is pretty valuable. 1 website I read said that his is the most valuable autograph of a living person. Apparently he stopped signing in 2010. Anybody familier with this kind of stuff?? There aren't any comparable ended auctions on ebay.

Mandela2_zps48b2dccd.jpg

WOW, congrats on the pull! Honestly I clicked on the listed to find out the price specifically because something so rare just makes you wonder what it goes for. No doubt in my mind it'll go for a pretty penny if you're looking to sell it but I have no clue as well. Unless you're in a hurry to get cash it's not a bad item to be sitting on :)

Nice pull on the Gene Tierney! She was in some of the best classic films.

Image0010.jpg

Last edited:
This stuff is a lot of fun!!!!!! I think we had more fun with this than boxes of baseball cards! I'm trying to pickup another 6 box case.

I actually found the original auction that leaf won for the Mandela. Surprisingly, it has a Telly Savalas auto on the back. When you hold our Mandela up to the light, you can see the other auto on the back!

The original auction sold for a little over $1000. Any guesses as to what it goes for as a 1/1 Leaf product? We'll be selling it eventually.

It's always awesome to get a classic actor's auto! I have never heard of Gene Tierney but I'm pretty sure my wife has. However, I really do like the Tin Man auto!!

Let us know when you put it up! It's sick that there's another auto on the back. Anything less than 1000 would be a tragedy

My daughter got to go to his birthday party in 2004 when she was studying abroad. The instructions were that no pictures becasue his eyes were so sensitive due to years of torture, so I imagine his hands were similarly abused. I would think that there aren't a lot of autos out there as he probably had a stamp or secretarial signature during his presiding days.

My daughter got to go to his birthday party in 2004 when she was studying abroad. The instructions were that no pictures becasue his eyes were so sensitive due to years of torture, so I imagine his hands were similarly abused. I would think that there aren't a lot of autos out there as he probably had a stamp or secretarial signature during his presiding days.

That's a neat story. I too would imagine that he had someone sign for him, or use an auto pen or something.

Some more info about the card/auto if anyone is interested:

Here is a link to Mandela being the #1 most valuable living auto, don't know how accurate that is:
Top 10: Most valuable living signatures - Wikicollecting

Here are 2 links referencing the 2nd Telly Savalas auto:
RR Autograph Auction Nelson Mandela Ballpoint signature | RR Auctions
RR Auction: Past Auction Item

The auto was originally on a 3x2 card with Mandela on one side and the Savalas on the other. When we hold the card up to the light we can see the other auto, but of course it's a little hard to see because of the backing that leaf put on the card, but it's there. Leaf won the auction for $1016.40. With it now being proven certifed, labeled 1/1 and encased by Beckett it would guess that it would fetch quite more than that.

You can see that the auto listed at the auction sight is exactly the same as ours.