Storing Binders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88 Dezgirl 88

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hey guys - sorry for so many questions lately! I remember hearing a while back that storing card binders vertically could damage the cards in the pages. That being said, it definitely saves space and makes organization much easier. I've seen some members here that organize their collections with binders stored vertically as well.

Just wanted to get some opinions on binder storage. Thanks!

- Tanya

I use binders for my player collections, not sets. You'll have to fill me in on the damage you're referring to by storing vertically unless you mean that some of the pages can slide or distort during storage.

If you actively enjoy your collection and actually look at it, I vote binders. If you don't see yourself really looking at your collection, I guess shoeboxes are the way to go.

The biggest threat to my collection in binders is added new cards and having to flip to the middle or back to get it in the right place...still better than shuffling top loaders IMO.

I'm not into the binders...I use the 3,000 count boxes or the smaller boxes for my set collecting. Use to be a bowman chrome collector and as we all know ....they tend to curl......so I place them in penny slevees and then into top loaders and then into the 3,000 count boxes. Best regards, David

I use binders for my entire Twins collection. Always use "D" ring binders, and turn pages carefully. Keep them relatively full of pages (but not too full)

I use binders in a vertical position to store my Bonds cards. Makes it easier to look at them plus add cards as found. Butch

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure how it hurts them to be honest. Could have sworn I read it in Beckett a long time ago.

Butch - how long have you had your Bonds cards like that?

- Tanya

Some of them from when I started collecting in 1992. Added more cards as they came out. About 90% of them since 2003. Butch
Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure how it hurts them to be honest. Could have sworn I read it in Beckett a long time ago.

Butch - how long have you had your Bonds cards like that?

- Tanya

Like bdink said, I use my binder for my PC.stuff cuz i like looking at them n showing them off..to friends n stuff "My father always said can't keep cards perfect inless there in a special room lol" But none of my cards have been messed up in my binder laying flat n its been 8 years!

I have most of my binders stored vertically on an entertainment center. And I haven't noticed any serious issues with them. The only problem I've ever had from binders is that if you're not careful, the rings can put indents on the cards next to the rings. So I usually always make sure my better cards are in the middle slot or the bottom middle and right slots haha
It bothers me when I see peoples collections and they have a nice high end card in a binder that is next to a ring or in one of the top three slots where the top is exposed, but that's just me I guess.

The two schools of binder storage each have issues:

Vertical - If there are not enough pages in the album, it's possible that the pages will rest in a "curved" fashion when it is stood upright. The top 2 rows are fine, but the bottom row could be a bit bent and cause the cards to also bend.

Horizontal - The cards on the bottom pages are "squashed", and have a lot of pressure on them, especially if there are binders stacked on top of each other.

Personally I store mine horizontal and have never had an issue with cards being damaged. The card pages made back in the old days may have cause the cards to stick and get damaged if there was enough pressure on them, but I use Ultra Pro pages and have never had a problem. I also worry about dust getting into the pocket of the page if I store the binders vertically.

Richard

I only use the 1, 2, 3, 4 and 12 pocket pages for binder storage. i gave up hope for 9 pocket die to sheer volume.

Some of the pages do have space at the bottom (especially the 8x10 1 pocket) and the pages have curved from not resting on the shelf. It's worse when you have heavy items like magazines or other thicker flat items. That is the only damage i could see from vertical storage.