Save or buy now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dankir96

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I recently received for my birthday a total of $150 in gift certificates for Blowout Cards. I don't buy cards like I used to and i'm tossing up the idea of buying something that I don't usually buy. These days I only collect Topps Baseball, Topps Football & Topps Heritage Baseball each year.

So my question is this....Should I buy a couple boxes that I wouldn't normally buy or should I save for 2013 Topps Football & 2013 Topps Update Baseball?

I though about buying a box of 2013 Bowman, but the cards are so darn expensive (Hobby: $72/Jumbo: $155). I was also checking out the 2013 Topps Baseball & Football Archives, 2013 Score Football.

Your thoughts?

It really depends. It is a bummer that you didn't get straight cash instead, then I would say buy singles. But if you are going to rip something, I would buy something that you collect. Being a set collector myself, I really only open stuff that I collect, otherwise ROI on busting stuff isn't great unless you are opening cases. Ultimately your decision, but my two cents. And buy it before/right when it comes out. In the case of Bowman, it will rise for a bit yet, then come down.

Save for something you collect. As much fun as it sounds to rip a more expensive box, too many new products are just made to get people to open for the hits. Ask yourself this, are you more likely to be disappointed with the 'hits' in a higher end box, or with two or three boxes of something you already build the sets of? I know I'm kind of risk intolerant on that stuff, so as much as I'd like to bust a box of Finest, the idea of six refractors, a JP Arencibia autograph and a Kyle Drabek auto patch for $150+ makes me stop in my tracks and reconsider.

Thanks for the input. I've decided to hold off on buying at this time. I'll hang on to my gift certificate and use it towards 2013 Topps football.

Thanks for the input. I've decided to hold off on buying at this time. I'll hang on to my gift certificate and use it towards 2013 Topps football.

Jumping in late, but I agree with you and the others - buy what you collect!! I'm the same way, only built Topps baseball, but chase Phillies from all brands - gets tough without much trade bait, but oh, well...

Good luck!

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online