Need help with Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali autos...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thedarkbrown

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Picked this up today in a collection...

It was in a frame and the back said "certification within", but once I took the back off there was no COA.

With the little research I did, they look legit, but just not sure. Any thoughts or opinions?

Ali-FrazierSIAuto6-21-13_zps5b9685ae.jpg

Thank you for looking.

First off, really cool item! If you come across the COA, I saw some stuff online going for the $3-4,000 range with these two, so if it is real and there is paperwork, congrats to you!

Here is a site with Ali's signatures over the years: http://www.aliautos.net/examples.html. My initial thought was that both look real, and Ali is a tough one, since as his condition worsened, his signature got a lot more shaky. There is a short article on the site about Ali during the 70s, saying that he was on the go everywhere, and his signature varied a lot. He has a reputation as being a great autograph signer during his life, though lately I think his health prohibits him almost altogether.

Any signature is going to vary based on location of the signer (i.e. standing, sitting, walking), circumstances (i.e. sitting waiting for a plane vs. getting into or out of a car, etc.). Two more points in your favor: the owner of the magazine is from Chicago, where LOTS of celebrities visit for conventions, sporting events, political events, etc. so the chances of Ali and Frazier having been there (probably at different times and different years, realistically, as it is clearly not signed with the same pen) is very high. The other factor in your favor is that this is a SI magazine, not a canvas or another very high dollar photo or item that is more likely to be forged and re-sold for major $$$ (not that this wouldnt be worth a lot, there are boxing collectors who would drool over this!!).

I really see a lot of similarities in these signatures to ones online I see that are authenticated, so I think you do have the genuine article there, but cant say for sure, since I wasnt there when this was signed!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Last edited:
Thank you for the info! I checked that Ali site before I posted but didn't see anything that matched the sig on the SI. To me, it looked like the auto was from the 90's to 2000's, but didn't make sense because of the date 1971.

PSA/DNA quick opinion came back as likely not genuine. No COA came with it, unfortunately.

Thanks for looking.

I couldnt make out as whether or not that was a 1 or a 9 (as in 1971 or 1979) from the scan....yeah, 1971 wouldnt make sense! Shoot, sorry I wrote a novel for a "likely not genuine"!! Happy hunting!

I'm a little thrown off by him putting the year on there. I would be curious to know if that was regular practice for him.

I'm a little thrown off by him putting the year on there. I would be curious to know if that was regular practice for him.

I don't know if it was regular, but he has added the year in previous examples. The problem is that his auto doesn't match that of the year. His auto looks like it's from the 90's or later. weird. I don't know if he was asked to sign it in the 90's and asked to put 1971, if it's a forgery, or if it's real from 1971. Like I said it came back as likely not genuine and there were other likely not genuine and obvious forgeries in the collection as well so I am leaning towards fake.

I found an Andrew Luck auto on a Stanford magazine. Comparing the auto to our 2013 Black Box Andrew Luck auto, it doesn't match. It was inscribed BCS 12-24-10... And the upon closer inspection, i.e. taking the cover out of the frame, the date on the magazine is November/December 2011. How could he have signed a magazine from 2011, in 2010?

I didn't even get an opinion on that one, it was obviously fake. I ripped it up and threw it away.