Question About Player Collecting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiSoxFan

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm looking at starting a new Player Collection, currently I collect White Sox Topps Base cards, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding Non MLB Licensed cards. I'm not referring to fantasy or homemade cards (I would ignore those), but more in line of Panini cards or 2013 Upper Deck cards.

Do you include these in your collection? Why or why not?

Thanks,
ChiSoxFan

I collect Barry Bonds cards and have some non licensed cards. Don't have a problem with it. Wanted to collect one of every card made before they got crazy with all of the low #'d inserts. Butch

I might or might not, mostly depending if I liked the design/picture. I'm fortunate in that the players I collect most (Dan Gladden and Brad Radke) were from a time before that became a bigger issue. I'm also fortunate in my mind because I can simply focus on what I like and don't have that drive that I need EVERYTHING of (insert player here). While I can appreciate those collections and the dedication it takes to go like that, it's simply not me. I collect for what I enjoy, if there's a card I think is just hideous, unless it was gifted to me, it probably won't be in my collection. I'm not working on being a super collector, I'm working on something I like that brings me enjoyment, so when it becomes more like work, I walk away. I've seen player collectors at almost every level, the most casual ones like me, to the ones who need the checklists that have the players name on them, or someone else's card that mentioned their player on the back or in the background of a photo, to packaging the player appeared on, to broder cards and the non MLBPA licensed cards you are referring to. There is no right or wrong, it just comes down to how thorough is thorough enough for you. I'd be miserable if I felt like I had to chase after a bunch of ugly, boring (to me) cards in order to collect, where other people think those are great cards and couldn't imagine NOT having them in their collection and they'd be miserable if they didn't hunt them down and add them.

I try for anything that books, if it doesn't I still try to obtain it but not for a lot. Such as some topps redemption autos from Sheffield that aren't listed from this year.