BSL Rule Changes regarding Trading. VERY important, all owners read!(Info on Cash)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Nick and I have discussed some changes that need to be made to simplify the trading process on our end, as well as allow it to open up a bit more for all teams in the league. Therefore, we are going to the following system, effective immediately, on a PROBATIONARY basis. If it works out well, it will be implemented permanently.

1. The 'trade committee' is dissolved effective immediately. All current "Trade Liaison" positions will effectively become a 2nd League President for the remainder of the term (this season).

2. Trades will no longer be able to be challenged. Nick and I will handle all trade review internally. IF we raise suspicion on a questionable trade, our decision will be final and absolute, with no ability to appeal.

3. We are going to allow cash in trade transactions for the first time. This will NOT be abused or it will be taken away quickly. The current guideline (modifiable in the future) is no more than 5 million in any specific deal, and no more than 10 million total from any given team during a season. You MUST have the cash on hand to include it in a trade!

**ADDITION**
All cash involved in trades must be rounded to the nearest 500k. The minimum cash that can be involved in a trade is 500k as well.

Most importantly regarding cash trades is that the team receiving cash MUST be sending an active roster player with a MLB contract to the other team. Large market teams cannot 'buy' prospects without taking some active roster player as well.

Small market teams...remember, short term fixes are NOT how you will win. Prospects and the long term is how you sustain a solid run in this league.

4. As per previous, there will be no waiver trading and no trading of draft picks.

5. The Sign and Trade clause regarding extensions is still going to be enforced.

6. Any new owner will not be allowed to trade for 2 weeks REAL time, in the hopes that they will acclimate to the league and trading processes before making bad decisions.

The general idea of these changes is to streamline trade processing for Nick, allow teams in financial difficulties to obtain some sort of ability to acquire cash, as well as save time for all involved. A lot of trade review was taking place on what was 'basic' trades, whereas some major, largely-unbalanced trades didn't get challenged in any way. We want to implement a set of rules that holds each team accountable not only for their own roster, but accountable to be respectful of the league and make solid outbound trade offers as well.

Cory

Last edited:
I like the idea of making things easier for Nick but I don't see the involvement of cash in trades lasting long. Is there any set definition of a questionable trade? There was a recent trade that I contested and it still went through, much to my amazement actually.

I like the idea of making things easier for Nick but I don't see the involvement of cash in trades lasting long. Is there any set definition of a questionable trade? There was a recent trade that I contested and it still went through, much to my amazement actually.
I prior to this change, i was not involved with trades this season, so i am not sure of the trade you are referring to. We are attempting to put more reaponsibility on both sides of the trades and reduce the time and oversights to an extent. Being able to move cash will hopefully assist in being able to more fairly balance trades. We shall see if the system is respected or abused.

I would just like to say that I for one have NEVER contested a trade, be it in BSL 1.0 or this league. My feelings are that everyone is going to view deals differently, just as we do in real life. But just as in real life, there are often lopsided trades that are made for one reason or another. Sometimes we understand them, sometimes we don't. But I guess I have been in a ton of yahoo leagues and others, and the whole trade veto or contesting thing is just overused, if for no reason other than "shoot, why didn't I try that".

I have seen several trades since I have been back that I really felt were lopsided, but I also did not contest. My feelings are that both owners are in good standing within the league, both are veterans, and neither are doing something shady or trying to undermine the league. Therefore, each owner must have their reasoning, even if I don't feel the same, or think that one owner just got screwed. If both owners post the trade is agreeable, then they are both happy. Unless it is shady or there is a motive that is hidden, I accept it.

This isn't a money league, and thus, there really is no incentive to cheat, is there? But with trade review boards and the ability to contest any trade made, a team has a vested interest in the outcome of many, many trades. I for one have thought to myself, NO, DON'T TRADE THOSE GUYS TO TEXAS! Would those types of thoughts maybe sway one's opinion of how valid a trade is and sway their vote? And unless an owner is on his way out, and is just dumping his team to his buddies, an owner will have to live with his actions he has made for his team.

Very similar to real life. How many times have trades been made that you as a fan, have thought, what were they thinking? And how many times has it actually turned out the opposite of that? Maybe not often, but sometimes it does, and because of that, who are we to say. I can honestly say I thought my own Cardinals were idiots back in 2007 when they traded Edmonds for some guy I never heard of, regardless of what he had accomplished in the minors. I viewed it as very one sided. But I can also say that while I was sitting at Game 6 of the 2011 World Series, and watched that guy, David Freese do something amazing, I was completely 100% ok with it.

So I guess for me, I am ok with this new ruling. I will be interested to see what happens with the whole cash thing, how it plays out. But overall, I like it. And I know some will say that I am the one who wins on trades, and I figure that, since it seems most of my trades get contested. But again, I feel the people/owners that I trade with are experienced with this league, and aren't newcomers. And they, as owners are doing what they feel are a benefit to their team. And I guess I for one will not be the one, I guess no matter how lopsided I feel a trade may be, to call them out on their intelligence and/or their desire to have FUN in a game. After all, that is what games are for, to have fun. And if you win, that is even better. So here's to winning, but most of all having fun!!!!!!

Ooops, sorry for the long read above, and then to forget to add, READ AND UNDERSTOOD.

Also would like to say, I am always quick to be loud and outspoken on things, and everyone from BSL 1.0 especially knows this I am sure. But I would also like to say THANK YOU to Cory and Nick for running this league. I know for one, I probably gripe more than I thank the two of them. But those who know me know I am outspoken, and I usually say what I feel. No beating around the bush, I just put it out there. And sometimes, so find it to brash. But again....

Cory, Nick, thanks for the league!!!!

I agree with you, Matt. I have concerns about trades involving cash but trust Nick and Cory's judgment on this one.

Steph

My thoughts on allowing the cash as an incentive.

If we see a deal that does seem lopsided, cash is a quick way to fix the deal as long as the team is solvent. I personally like the idea of cash being involved especially when it comes to huge contracts. for example, the Real life Cubs finally were able to move Soriano, however they are still on the hook for x% of his salary for next year but at least its not all of it, I think it does give some help in possibly moving a bad contract or a contract that maybe wasnt bad but ended up being bad because of statistical changes.

As far as trade challenges go, The challenges I have seen the past couple of years dont always make sense when you consider other trades that arent being contested, as I enter all the trades I see the stats and potential ratings for all players involved and some of the differences blow my mind on non challenged trades. IMO, considering all the trades that have been challenged since the inception of BSL 2.0, I dont think anyone was purposefully "getting over" on anyone else. People kick things around and come to an agreement. Both teams are in agreement so in my book 99% of the time that trade should go thru. If, for example, I posted a trade with Cory that was Jason Sexton going to KC and a 1/2 star player coming to the cubs , then that is a deal that obviously is a bunch of BS.

I believe the only other option would be to actually let the software decide. we can go that route, however trading would take a lot moe time, as trades would have to be entered at the end of one sim, some of which could go thru immediately as long as both teams are happy(which is very rare, over 90% of trades I eneter I have to use "force trade" because the software says one team or the other isnt happy with the deal as is.) in other instances teams ask to think about the deal, which would hold the trade possibly going thru until the end of the following sim, or getting to that point a team declining the trade and then talks need to start up again.

As Cory stated above, the Cash aspect of trading will be very closely monitored. It is to be used to even out deals that normally go thru but could be evened out with a little dough as opposed to tossing another player into the mix.

All in all this is a test, there is no other way for us to test something other than implementing it into the league for a certain amount of time to see how it works.