"Beginner" Level Marvel Set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

negreyjr

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
My son just turned 5 and is way more into Spider-Man and the Avengers than baseball or football right now. However, he loves to sit with me while I sort my cards, break open packs, or flip through my binders.

I'd love to find a "beginner" Marvel set that I could pick up a box or packs for him so he has something to collect -- but I'm not a non-sport card guy. Any suggestions from any Marvel fans out there?

I checked out a few sites and most of the Marvel stuff seems kind of expensive or not the right fit for a beginner collector who will probably want to play with the cards as much as collect them. I even thought about trying to pick up some of the old Marvel Universe Series 1 from 1990 -- that seemed to be exactly the kind of card I'm look for -- but it's a little pricier than I want to pay (I'd like unopened packs or boxes).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Jeremy

I have a 30 card lot of 1992 Marvel X-Men if your son is interested i could do it for $3.00 dlvd

Could possibly trade it but no clue what value to put on the lot

Let me know

David

Thanks for the offer, David, but I'm looking for something unopened so he can learn that excitement of cracking open some packs and seeing what comes out.

I always liked the Marvel Universe sets from the early 90s. Series 2 & 3 would be great for kids. The X-Men sets from the same time period were also pretty good. Not sure what price range you're looking at. Unfortunately, no one really does a "cheap" Marvel set these days. Marvel's Greatest Heroes would be the current equivilent of the Marvel Universe sets, in that they cover the whole Marvel roster and not just one group.

Marvel stuff is unfortunately, a hot commodity, especially with all the recent movies. Kind of like looking for 'cheap' Puig or Trout autographs. Even the stuff DaClyde is talking about is $20-$40/box, not a great price for a younger kids collection, though on the plus side if I remember correctly, you did get enough cards to complete a set in the box. Too bad, I had a great time busting those in 1992-1994. I see BBCexchange has some DC stuff for $10-15/box if you could live with that. Not Spidey/IronMan/X Men, but Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and Flash. The old Michael Keaton Batman boxes from Topps are $6. Like I said, Marvel always seemed to run a little more.